Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

'Sprouts should come with a health warning'

brussels sprouts anticoagulants

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,262 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

They are the Christmas vegetables that split opinion and now doctors say Brussels sprouts should come with a health warning after a man was admitted to hospital by eating them.

The leafy green vegetables contain vitamin K, a chemical the body uses to promote blood clotting, and it counteracts the effects of anticoagulants (blood thinning medication).

The man, from Ayrshire, was prescribed anticoagulants after suffering heart failure last year and his dose was monitored once or twice a week to prevent blood clotting.

http://www.telegraph...o-hospital.html

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

But would they not help hemophiliacs?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,049 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

Everything needs a warning label! Being alive is scary~

Posted Image

~MEH~

#4    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

It's true! I'm a 'thrombophiliac' and I have been on anti-coagulants for just over 27 years. I clot very quickly and have had DVTs and pulmonary embolisms so many times I have lost count. Brussel sprouts, some other green veg including salad affect the clotting time. I have my blood monitored every friday and tomorrow I will get the usual lecture at the anticoag clinic on what I can and can't eat over Christmas including alcohol boohoo!! It won't stop me eating my sprouts though I love them... everything in moderation lol!

Edited by Star of the Sea, 20 December 2012 - 11:39 PM.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#5    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,869 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 December 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

But would they not help hemophiliacs?

I've often wondered that because I'm the opposite to a hemophiliac and have a condition where my blood clots too fast.

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 20 December 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

I've often wondered that because I'm the opposite to a hemophiliac and have a condition where my blood clots too fast.
I am no medical person, but it would seem logical, surely there must be some experiments being done on it, unless they already have something sufficient.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#7    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,869 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 December 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

I am no medical person, but it would seem logical, surely there must be some experiments being done on it, unless they already have something sufficient.

I do know when my blood has gone too thin on the anti-coags I'm given vitamin K to make it clot quicker. Maybe there is some chemical similar to sprouts in it? Who knows!

#8    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 20 December 2012 - 11:37 PM, said:

It's true! I'm a 'thrombophiliac' and I have been on anti-coagulants for just over 27 years. I clot very quickly and have had DVTs and pulmonary embolisms so many times I have lost count. Brussel sprouts, some other green veg including salad affect the clotting time. I have my blood monitored every friday and tomorrow I will get the usual lecture at the anticoag clinic on what I can and can't eat over Christmas including alcohol boohoo!! It won't stop me eating my sprouts though I love them... everything in moderation lol!
Oh my god ....
You should look into a few supplements that naturally thin the blood .
I will say no more ...

Miss me?

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 20 December 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

I do know when my blood has gone too thin on the anti-coags I'm given vitamin K to make it clot quicker. Maybe there is some chemical similar to sprouts in it? Who knows!
They say to optimize vitamin K,it should be taken in proper amounts with vitamin D .
You should ask your doctor if either could help you ,if taken regularly .

Miss me?

#10    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,869 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 20 December 2012 - 11:52 PM, said:

Oh my god ....
You should look into a few supplements that naturally thin the blood .
I will say no more ...

Hi Simbi!

I wish I knew where to start with natural remedies over here in the UK! I'm on a very high dose of warfarin 40 mgs a day (usually its 3mg a day) so every few months I have to switch to heparin injections as my liver has taken a pounding as I also have haematomachrosis which is another blood complication (too much iron in blood) so I have to have blood letting to get rid of the iron if it gets to high.

#11    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,869 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:06 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 20 December 2012 - 11:53 PM, said:

They say to optimize vitamin K,it should be taken in proper amounts with vitamin D .
You should ask your doctor if either could help you ,if taken regularly .

Hi Simbi,

My INR has only gone too high a couple of times so it's not too much of a problem for me. It's keeping it thin that's my problem. It's a flippen nuisance lol!

#12    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 21 December 2012 - 12:01 AM, said:

Hi Simbi!

I wish I knew where to start with natural remedies over here in the UK! I'm on a very high dose of warfarin 40 mgs a day (usually its 3mg a day) so every few months I have to switch to heparin injections as my liver has taken a pounding as I also have haematomachrosis which is another blood complication (too much iron in blood) so I have to have blood letting to get rid of the iron if it gets to high.
That's a very high dose of warfarin . You shouldn't take anything else,natural or not,to thin your blood.
Do you know if you have inflammatory issues in your vasculature ? As that too can precipitate clots .
You should eat all natural ,and no high fructose corn syrup ,EVER .
Seriously .
I'm so sorry you have to go thru this .

Miss me?

#13    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,314 posts

• Question everything

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

This is ridiculous. You put the health warning on the medicine, not the food, like they do for medicines that interact with grapefruit.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#14    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

If you like them you should grow your own. Easy to do indoors year round.

#15    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 14,527 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostOniomancer, on 21 December 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

This is ridiculous. You put the health warning on the medicine, not the food, like they do for medicines that interact with grapefruit.
People who are on coumadin/warfarin do get those warnings but it's quite easy to forget and eat something especially at a holiday meal that can cause a problem.  I've been on coumadin now for about 18 months and like SoTS said - it's a flippin' nuisance!  BUT...blood clots in the lungs are MUCH WORSE!  I was raised on collards and turnips and I love cranberries....all of them are strictly VERBOTEN...

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

Also tagged with brussels sprouts, anticoagulants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users