Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia orders review on Israel Prisoner X

Hasina

Australia orders review into Israel Prisoner X case

Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr has announced a review into his ministry's handling of the case of an Australian man who reportedly hanged himself in an Israeli jail in 2010.

On Tuesday, Australia's ABC News said the man, known as Prisoner X, was an Australian national called Ben Zygier.

The report said there was evidence to suggest Mr Zygier worked for Israel's Mossad intelligence agency.

The Israeli authorities have not officially commented on the ABC report.

Speculation about the identity of the prisoner, whose existence was not officially acknowledged, had been rife since the story broke more than two years ago.

Mr Carr told ABC's Foreign Correspondent programme that he was troubled by the investigation's findings.

He said Australian diplomats in Israel had only found out about the detention of Mr Zygier - who was also known as Ben Alon and Ben Allen - after his death. He said Mr Zygier's family had not made a complaint, in the absence of which there was little the government could do.

However, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) admitted on Wednesday that some officials had known earlier than previously thought.

"DFAT has now advised that some officers of the department were made aware of Mr Allen's detention at the time in 2010 by another Australian agency," a spokeswoman said in a statement.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-21439826

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• and-then

• Hasina

• Mr.United_Nations

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the story is here. He was born in Australia. When he was about 24 he moved to Israel and married an Israeli, they had 2 children. He may have joined the Mossad. He was arrested and while being held in prison died by hanging in a cell where that should have been impossible - or at least highly unlikely. The Mossad might have killed him for many reasons OR he might have disgraced himself in some way, lost everything and become suicidal. The most telling detail for me is that his family never complained. You'd think that if something sinister was happening his wife might have placed a call to his embassy? Strange case.

I'm not sure what the story is here. He was born in Australia. When he was about 24 he moved to Israel and married an Israeli, they had 2 children. He may have joined the Mossad. He was arrested and while being held in prison died by hanging in a cell where that should have been impossible - or at least highly unlikely. The Mossad might have killed him for many reasons OR he might have disgraced himself in some way, lost everything and become suicidal. The most telling detail for me is that his family never complained. You'd think that if something sinister was happening his wife might have placed a call to his embassy? Strange case.

Israel will not say the name..in other words

Israel will not say the name..in other words

They won't say what name? I don't understand.

Just read this on YNET it seems to give a theory on why...

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4345002,00.html

Apparently he may have pulled a Mordechai Vanunu on them. You don't be messin' with the MOSSAD....

Yeah, state sponsored terrorism is nothing to shake a stick at.

I don't understand your meaning?