Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Florida Sea Monster Controversy

Connor.

Hello guys, I found this video in the related column on YouTube when watching a MonsterQuest video. I would like you guys to watch it and give your opinions on the video in this thread.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Connor.

• Cetacea

• Mattshark

• ShadowSot

i remember seein that ep. i wanna say it mite be a new species of manitee or something in that nature. that last clip from the guys website.....i dont know. looks like another animal all entirely, maybe an alligator

There was a seal and /or a few seals , swimming in the same area as Manitees....

Manitees ( spell check) get hit by props all the time , and their tails can look very bizarre.....

I remember looking at the tail in a slowed down video and it was in three sections, like three different fins at the end?

Do you think maybe it was a manatee tail that had been caught in say a boat propeller or maybe this is a new creature?

Oh for goodness sake, not again. It's a manatee! It always was and it always will be! How anyone that has ever seen one could think it's anything but a manatee is absolutely beyond me. In one section there might have been more than one, probably a mating herd but the so called 'monster' was even identified at some point... I'll dig it up hold on..

Here we are:

Sea monster revealed

Original.jpg

Original.jpg

I'd be willing to bet if you phoned up Mote Marine Lab or the Fisheries services they would even give you a name or id number.

Those tail mutes are pretty common occurrence and sadly not the worst I've seen either....

Edited by Cetacea

Yes, but the thing is, that tail is unfortunately in tatters, the sections I saw were nearly perfectly rounded, each one.

Although I am pretty sure the first part of the video shows manitees, and the second part nothing but a crocodile, the idea of the one posting this video on YouTube - suggesting the second animal might have been a mosasaur - isn't that stupid.

Mosasaurs were closely related to the present day monitor lizards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosasaur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor_lizard

But does that mean there are still mosasaurs around???? Or else monitor lizards that developed flippers over time, thus resembling the extinct mosasaurs even more??

Well, that would be an interesting possibility, although the video doesn't prove anything in that respect.

To me it's a video about manitees and a croc.

Yes I believe it could be Manatee's and a crocodile but it does leave room for exploration, could Florida waters be home to a Mosasaur? I highly doubt it, but it would be great!

Yes, but the thing is, that tail is unfortunately in tatters, the sections I saw were nearly perfectly rounded, each one.

I've done photo-id on manatees before and personally, from what I could see I think this manatee is a pretty good fit. Either way, every tail looks different, that's why they are used as identification.

In one part there is probably more than one, probably mating which is why the movement is a bit more rapid than you would expect.

It's once again people trying to make something out of nothing.

There are loads of research boats in that bit of FLorida, Fish and Wildlife, Mote, various universities studying manatees, bottlenose dolphins and bottlenose dolphin prey species around the clock, I severely doubt a major predator would go unnoticed....

The simple explanation might not be exciting but it's the best fit.

Edited by Cetacea

I know you are a marine biologist if my memory is correct and you do have a great level of intelligence. But do you not think an animal like that could avoid being spotted? I mean many creatures in the oceans and possibly rivers can go by unnoticed?

A population of 17m air-breathing predators go unnoticed in a well studied eco-system? No carcasses, no ecological impact, no accounts? No I don't think so.

Alright, some species are smaller but the smallest was still, what 4m? So best case scenario we are looking at a population of 4 m air breathing predators in a well studied eco system without carcasses, ecological impacts or sightings.

No. Not a chance imho.

The fact alone the person who made the video uses the term 'evolutionist' ist pretty damning in my opinion.

It's nice to hear well educated peoples opinions as im only fourteen years old.

It's nice to hear well educated peoples opinions as im only fourteen years old.

It's nice to have people listen :) I'm sure there are some undiscovered species out there but I doubt that they will be as spectacular as many people want them to be.

I know this is off-topic slightly but I have an interest in becoming a marine biologist. Can you tell me the process of becoming one, what grades you require etc?

Your help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Edited by CryptidConnor

Oh no, Not the old 'conspiracy cover-up' again. Jaysus. It's not a 'sea monster' by any means, I don't see why it can't be just a manatee.

yeah, we did come to that agreement, that's why the thread has gone off-topic now.

Yes I believe it could be Manatee's and a crocodile but it does leave room for exploration, could Florida waters be home to a Mosasaur? I highly doubt it, but it would be great!

Just to add in my half penny's worth here, I come from a family who's spent two generations fishing and boating the waters around Florida, and we've never seen much out of the ordinary. I've spent a lot of time out on the water, and sen dolphins, sharks, shipwrecks, mackeral big enough to eat you, but no mosasaurs.

That is unfortunate, but thanks for your 'pennies worth' it's appreciated :)

Connor, there's a difference between hoping for there to be something out of the ordinary and looking for something out of the ordinary. With the former, it'll be easy to fool yourself into thinking that the evidence you're looking at is a new creature. With the latter, you'll be able to stay objective and not get caught up in the moment.

It's okay to want there to be something out there that we haven't discovered yet, just be careful in your search. :tu:

Thanks for chipping into what is going to be a dying thread and nice username, I like it 'Uncommon Sense' just something comical about it in my opinion :P

That is unfortunate, but thanks for your 'pennies worth' it's appreciated :)

If i was spending a lot of time in/on the water, i dont think i would call it 'unfortinate' not to meet a mosasaur, i would be rather happy i didnt meet one.

You have a point there mutationman lol but i'd love to discover a creature like that is still alive :)

The one mentioned in the video?

What I think it may have been a salt water crocodile and the size was over exaggerated but that's just an uneducated guess.

The one mentioned in the video?

What I think it may have been a salt water crocodile and the size was over exaggerated but that's just an uneducated guess.

Crocodylus porosus in the North Atlantic Ozean? Well... must be a good swimmer. ;)) This "sighting" leads us nowhere as there is no real evidence or any further information. There are too many questions remaining for example that no one else saw the creature AND tells us in any way (not the crew of U28 and not the surviving people of the Iberian). And in view of the video: no one can tell us anything about credibility of Von Forstner today. Don't want to discuss this case in depth but surely the time Von Forstner tells about his "sighting" was exactly right for it don't you think? 1933. I'am sure you know which scotish legend raises its head out of the Loch Ness at this time. To say it Von Forstner tells about his sighting in view what happpend at this time in Scotland. He also said that a picture of the LNM in press was similiar to his creature - unfortunately I don't know which. The retired submariner by the way wrote a little later a book about Sea Monsters (mainly a translation of Gould)... Just a coincidence - but who knows?

Edited by Marozi