Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Today I am a Black Belt in TaeKwonDo!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,314 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

Many years ago when I became a black belt the test was a 2 day event. I often ponder how the *beep* I managed to survive, let alone pass. There was only one other female and both of us made it through. Ah yes, the days of my youth!

Congrats to joc. Well done.

Edited by Lilly, 16 December 2012 - 10:35 AM.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#17    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

I'm a yellow belt and I don't think I want to go any further. I don't think I'm cut out for it.

#18    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

good on you.. a back belt and your black?? i had no idea.. lol.. i gather you are the white guy..

i was with my 4 year old nephew today  (who my brother adopted from Korea) and he started classes last week.. start them young..

Edited by with bells on, 16 December 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#19    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,789 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:30 AM

That is fantastic Joc! Congratulations!

#20    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,696 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:11 AM

Thank you all so much for your congratulations and well wishes!  :wub:

Keninsc, Dash, and Lilly....salute!  It's kind of like being in the military.  If you have you know.  Thank you so much!
My test was actually a two day event as well.   We did the physical stuff last Saturday a week ago and the actual testing stuff this last Saturday.  I plan on continuing my training.  Our Master is fond of saying that Black Belt isn't the end of anything it is only the beginning.  If you noticed (and I'm sure you did) his belt has...7...of those pretty gold stripes.  His Master was Jhoon Rhee.  
Some of you may know who he is but if you google him you will find a lot of stuff on there....including him doing 100 push-ups on his Eightieth Birthday.
Anyway, thanks again to all of you!

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#21    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,320 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

You look well pleased in the pic and quite rightly so. Many Congratulations :tu:

Posted Image

#22    joc

joc

• 12,696 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Still Waters, on 08 January 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

You look well pleased in the pic and quite rightly so. Many Congratulations :tu:
Thank you so much!  It will be about 18-24 months before I can test for 2nd Dan...no rest for the weary/wicked. :)

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#23    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,234 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Well done and congratulation.
And i fully agree with all your posts and everything you have ever written. B)  

(the last line is valid for 24 hours only) :D

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#24    joc

joc

• 12,696 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

freetoroam, on 08 January 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

Well done and congratulation.
And i fully agree with all your posts and everything you have ever written. B)  

(the last line is valid for 24 hours only) :D
Thank you...you are most kind!  :)

Yesterday, was the first class after the holidays...my Master just returned from Korea and brought me back a TKD Uniform...also a bag of Ginseng Candy.  Holler if you want some...I'll share.

Edited by joc, 09 January 2013 - 12:33 PM.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#25    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,313 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

CONGRATULATIONS MY FRIEND! Proud of you! That is a great accomplishment and right up my ally as I've been in the Military since I was 17 and S.O. Military for 6+ years, as well as, I started training mixed martial arts when I was 7 years old. Started in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu that progressed in everything from Aikido to Chin Na to Russian Systema to Hapkido.

You sir, are my new best friend on these forums! lol Congratulations again! That's no easy accomplishment and you should be VERY proud man!!!! :tu: :clap:

#26    joc

joc

• 12,696 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

ColoradoParanormal, on 11 January 2013 - 07:09 AM, said:

CONGRATULATIONS MY FRIEND! Proud of you! That is a great accomplishment and right up my ally as I've been in the Military since I was 17 and S.O. Military for 6+ years, as well as, I started training mixed martial arts when I was 7 years old. Started in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu that progressed in everything from Aikido to Chin Na to Russian Systema to Hapkido.

You sir, are my new best friend on these forums! lol Congratulations again! That's no easy accomplishment and you should be VERY proud man!!!! :tu: :clap:
Thank you very much!  I've studied Ju-Jitsu on a very limited basic level...alot of Hapkido.  While I can look at where I am from when I started, I look up and see this incredible mountain that I still want to climb.  My Master has a sign on the entrance to the Do-jang...Black Belt isn't the end of anything...it's only the beginning!  That is so true.  It was a mystery to me for so long why so many of these kids get their Black Belts and you never see them again...they just got their BB and they are finished.  Then it dawned on me one day;  they set their goal to become a BB.  I never set a goal in TKD...I just seek to become a Master...it will take me the rest of my life...but then again, for me, this is a life path.  Anyway, thanks for your Kudos and for service to our Country!
:tu: :gun:
I give you a complimentary piece of Ginseng Candy:
Posted Image

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#27    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,313 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:16 AM

joc, on 11 January 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

Thank you very much!  I've studied Ju-Jitsu on a very limited basic level...alot of Hapkido.  While I can look at where I am from when I started, I look up and see this incredible mountain that I still want to climb.  My Master has a sign on the entrance to the Do-jang...Black Belt isn't the end of anything...it's only the beginning!  That is so true.  It was a mystery to me for so long why so many of these kids get their Black Belts and you never see them again...they just got their BB and they are finished.  Then it dawned on me one day;  they set their goal to become a BB.  I never set a goal in TKD...I just seek to become a Master...it will take me the rest of my life...but then again, for me, this is a life path.  Anyway, thanks for your Kudos and for service to our Country!
:tu: :gun:
I give you a complimentary piece of Ginseng Candy:
Posted Image

You have a great mind set, and one that is very rare! I'm not sure if you've heard of Russian Systema, but you should look in to it.

#28    joc

joc

• 12,696 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:44 AM

ColoradoParanormal, on 14 January 2013 - 04:16 AM, said:

You have a great mind set, and one that is very rare! I'm not sure if you've heard of Russian Systema, but you should look in to it.
I just watched a youtube video...very impressive...I will look into that. Thanks. :tu:

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#29    MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

If I ever decide to become a martial arts expert, I hope that I would be fortunate enough to never have to use it (other than in friendly competitions).

#30    joc

joc

• 12,696 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

MainerMikeBrown, on 27 January 2013 - 01:19 AM, said:

If I ever decide to become a martial arts expert, I hope that I would be fortunate enough to never have to use it (other than in friendly competitions).
I hope I never find myself in a situation which would require me fighting anyone.  But...that is the whole point of the martial arts.  The reason Martial Arts exist is not for sport...even though it has become a sport.  But the sport aspect of it is competition...and that is good.  I can honestly say that before I became involved in TaeKwondo, if I were to have found myself in a situation where my safety was compromised, I would have been pretty clueless.  I'm not clueless anymore.  I might still get beat up or killed...but at least I have an arsenal of things I can do to protect myself and others around me.   :yes: It is a path worth pursuing.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users