Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to Have a Personal Christian Devotion

GoddessWhispers

How to Have a Personal Christian Devotion

A distinction exists between religion - a things you have-to-do, and spirituality - a choice based on relationship. Daily devotions are important as they help us spend time with our Creator that helps us build that relationship. Here are just a few ideas on how to help the relationship grow on a daily basis:

Steps

Realize that personal devotions have to be a choice. If we have relationship based on a "have to" then it is more like a work relationship than a love relationship. Devotions have to be based on love.

Do devotions as soon as your wake up. Here you are still relaxed and setting the tone for the day, spending time reflecting on God’s Word must be beneficial in this.

Have a set place for devotion and certain ideas on how you will "do" devotion.

Start by listening to God, read the Bible and spend time meditating on it. Devotion is not a good time to follow a reading plan, otherwise you will get sucked into a "have to" and not spend time listening to God. However a separate Bible reading plan in useful as we need to know what God is saying and know how to place Scripture in context but this is different from a time of devotion.

Involve prayer in your meditation; you can pray verses or converse with God while reading the Bible just make sure you are also listening to what God might be saying. A relationship is two way. Meditation should include quiet reflection and an open heart.

Set out to read a passage of Scripture rather than a verse or two, context is important, but if you do find that one verse has a lot to say to you allow yourself the flexibility to meditate on one verse. A relationship needs flexibility.

Do not beat yourself up about missing a daily dveotion; make sure you complete it later in the day if at all possible, God is not an angry dictator but loves you enough to understand.

Keep a devotional journal. It can be a very useful tool for remembering how things touched you and reflecting further or at a later date. A dedicated notebook and pen or pencil are useful for this and should be kept with your devotion Bible.

Go through a few questions before starting such as: Do I need to forgive anyone? Do I have to ask anyone to forgive me? Is anything in my heart blocking me from getting the most from this personal act of devotion? Do I need to confess any sin?

Enjoy the relationship. What a great way to start the day by conversing with God!

Tips

Personal devotional study aids may detract from the personal relationship; it is good to draw things from the Bible however if you are new to having a personal time of devotion a devotional aid could be useful. A book of spiritual quotes to stimulate the mind further can be useful but read them after reading the Bible and your time of prayer and mediation.

An artists sketch pad and B2 pencil are ideal for a devotional journal as the sketch pad is a blank slate and the B2 pencil is soft so ideal for writing drawing and doodling. Do allow yourself to doodle as long as you mind stays focused on the act of devotion. You can also use this for planning events or analysing situations just remember that it is a devotional journal so invite God into help with your planning and analysis.

Time spent with God is powerful and life changing.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GoddessWhispers

• MissMelsWell

• verax-acis

• MUM24/7

This was a very pretty read.

And this could even be handy to people of no faith just take out the God, spiritual, and Bible parts and you are still left with a nice quite time of reflection every day to help you regroup your thoughts.

It is of benefit to anyone religious or not.

Good post. I’m kind of confused though. From what I read it sounded religiously sympathetic. I might just be having a slow night but I couldn’t detect any sarcasm or mockery. I liked it.

It seems I’m in un-familiar and semi awkward territory but I must write good post GW.

linked-image

I understand your confusion verax-acis... I feel it myself. But that being said this article is something anyone can read from any walk of life or belief or lack thereof and mentally strip out the religion and you're still left with something good, positive and healthy.

It's positve with the religion, it's positive without it.

Cool article GW, thanks for posting it.

What's your take on it?

Good post. I’m kind of confused though. From what I read it sounded religiously sympathetic. I might just be having a slow night but I couldn’t detect any sarcasm or mockery. I liked it.

It seems I’m in un-familiar and semi awkward territory but I must write good post GW.

linked-image

She's back on line now. :):lol:

I'm glad you asked Verax. Maybe it can be said of those posts of mine you refer to, that just because you read it as offensive to christianity, etc... doesn't mean that's the way I intended it to be read. :) Projection can be one's worst enemy, when they assume the worst of someone because they're Atheists in a spirituality forum. What would ever make someone thinking they're spiritual to imagine they have the right to presume someone non-theistic has no place here!? Read with the open heart so many claim to have as theists, and one might actually see things aren't as bad as they thought.

As to the reason for this thread, in another one I posted: "How to Become an Atheist :P " , someone expressed in their fondness for sarcasm, that it smacked of Proselytizing Atheism. :lol: And that had someone posted similar in Christian themes, they had no doubt it would be closed by the staff. I thank everyone that has participated in this thread thus far for proving that thus far an untrue indictment of the level of intolerance in these forums for anything christian. I knew that wasn't the case, so I decided to prove it. :wub::)

To your question Son. I think it's a lovely read. If it brings peace to someone's heart and they are a better person for me to share my world with, for it, every heart felt faith is "right", as far as I'm concerned. I have no problem with spirituality.

Edited by GoddessWhispers

People don't base their opinions of the posts GW on just the posts themselves but on your repeated ridicule of Christian belief as evident in your signature choices over the last few months.

We can all say MissMelsWell now can't we? This "someone" ooogie booogie nonsense is a bit high school no?

All in all a good post.

Unfortunately since you admit that the only reason you posted it was to prove MissMelsWell wrong, then it becomes obvious that you are using the topic as a mere tool to be right in an argument.

So its not really about respecting or being open to the belief.

To your question Son. I think it's a lovely read. If it brings peace to someone's heart and they are a better person for me to share my world with, for it, every heart felt faith is "right", as far as I'm concerned. I have no problem with spirituality.

That's all very nice GW, and I really hope you mean it, but I have to tell you, it's difficult to take that statement seriously with that signature which ridicules my heart-felt faith, and after being called insulting for expressing my faith.

Would you please tell me what has changed since that post and since you began using that siggy that makes what I quoted above true?

What is is this thread that is just like every other thread. It is an option. One may choose to enter, read and comment or not. What insults your faith is not my doing. It's simply a signature and means nothing at all. What does mean something, in perceptions of faith, is if it said something real, in giving a face to someone's interpretation of faith: Kill infidels and win 72 Virgins in heaven. Honor the Torah and grab land. Praise god and oppress heathens. Honor jesus and assault the person, for what one thinks the signature says against jesus invites one to sink to evil, till it's taken down.

Please keep this thread on Topic. I'd think one owes it to the theme if they respect it at all. :)

Its interesting to me how this thread has been open all day without the pile on of attack from the believers putting the atheists on the defensive whereas in the other thread ......

I think the problem is that people seem to be entering threads ready for a fight. Let's just all try and get along. :tu:

:tu::wub: Agreed and long overdue in being said. From your lips to reasons ears, let there be peace here.

Here is a question. Why don’t you just become Christian? Or at least teach Christianity to Christians. You’re very informed and show a high disposition to scholarly work. It seems to me a great waist to remain in an Atheist position. What I mean by that is no one needs atheism, not even atheists. Atheism is either a position of convenience or one of an inability to believe in the metaphysical therefore finding biblical claims incredulous. There is little to no inherent emotional need or attachment to atheism so even atheists don’t care that much.

Now as a Christian teacher you would be loved because you are providing what people inherently need emotionally. Mankind had a spiritual need and disposition that they can’t help and therefore they long for it and in your position you could aid this need. You can be just as scholarly respected on this side, but on this side you would also be greatly appreciated.

linked-image

OH come on Verax, you know accepting something like Christianity is a little more involved than just waking up one day and saying "Oh, this sounds like the bandwagon to jump on!" Especially for someone commited to an Atheist belief or any other belief for that matter.

Sorry dude.... *Pffft* Doesn't work that way.

And if you're trying to be patronizing, that's not working real well either.

*grrrrrr*

Peace Friend,

I don't know if anyone can tell anyone else how to become a Christian I think they have to discover it themselves or how will they know it is truly how hey feel. Just like any other belief or none belief.

Indeed. The link was provided as an optional resource for information, since the subject of becoming christian was introduced. :)

Well, GW...

I am absolutely knocked out of my slippers! The exception makes the rule, or so they say. After 300+ anti-christianity threads it is good that you at least tied to bring out a positive outlook toward christianity.

Christians cannot now say:

"When was the last time you said something positive about christianity?"

Otherwise it was an enjoyable article. Very true and very concise.

Luv and peace

Jor-el

Edited by Jor-el

Well, GW...

I am absolutely knocked out of my slippers! The exception makes the rule, or so they say. After 300+ anti-christianity threads it is good that you at least tied to bring out a positive outlook toward christianity.

Christians cannot now say:

"When was the last time you said something positive about christianity?"

Otherwise it was an enjoyable article. Very true and very concise.

Luv and peace

Jor-el

Fascinating. I wasn't aware I posted anti-christianity threads. Much less that someone would bother to spend their time paying attention to someone long enough to count threads that they believe to be as such. And it is not this Atheists responsibility to say something positive about christianity. If one, as an Atheist, believed there were something positive in christianity, I dare say they would not be Atheist. But that's just me.

However in matters of image and responsibility I believe it is those that claim to be christian, that is the responsibility of setting an example of christiainity in itself. That's something to be aware of in the contemporary sense, as opposed to being aware of the history of the faith that made it what it is today. To bear the title of a christian and how then one speaks to others, from that place, speaks for christianity, I think. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed the read. :D

I don't know Goddess.....People seem to give you too much credit around here.....I wonder why ?? Even though they don't agree with your views, I think you still get a lot of respect...... :)

I for one, really enjoy reading your posts....You're very intelligent and have the best sense of humour, after me ofcourse........ :tu:

and have the best sense of humour, after me ofcourse........
Well I do have to have something to aspire to, after all. :P;):rofl:

I don't know Goddess.....People seem to give you too much credit around here.....I wonder why ?? Even though they don't agree with your views, I think you still get a lot of respect...... :)

I for one, really enjoy reading your posts....You're very intelligent and have the best sense of humour, after me ofcourse........ :tu:

and of course MUM is after ME :D ......B

halfhandshuffle:doors-live europe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0WB9NPsRGU

Edited by Barek Halfhand

Well I do have to have something to aspire to, after all. :P;):rofl:

:wub::wub::wub::wub: