Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Last Prophet

Eldorado

Why has there been no "Prophets" in the Judeo Christian world since Biblical times? Or has there?

(apologies if it's a dumb question)

Why has there been no "Prophets" in the Judeo Christian world since Biblical times? Or has there?

Actually, it's a good question but my answer may be opening a can of worms. I would consider the Disciples as prophets (spanning Biblical times to post Biblical times). Including Paul and John of Patmos. And perhaps the Catholic saints. Going a bit secular, you have Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce, Silvia Browne, etc. Then you could consider those in the 1800s that were claiming that the world was coming to an end. Then you have the likes of Jim Jones and David Koresh. There’s a long list of legitimate and false prophets.

• Like 2

what about kalhil gibran? he was a prophet.

OK... I meant Official Prophet. Accepted by the main Jewish and/or Christian Churches as speaking on God's behalf. There's a whole raft in the Bible... then nothing, as far as I know.

Has God given up on us?

Jesus son of god and the last prophet, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Mohammed hadn't read John 14:6

• Like 1

Well, it's been too long. I think we some guidance here from someone who isn't also feathering their own nest.

I'll try praying again.

I think the reason no one has been accepted as a prophet by the Christian side is that the earlier prophets were basically foretelling the arrival of Jesus...

After he came there was really no need of another prophet... At least that's the way I see it...

• Like 1

Actually, I would think that Hetrodoxly and Taun are correct. With the arrival of the Holy Spirit, we all have become prophets.

I think the reason no one has been accepted as a prophet by the Christian side is that the earlier prophets were basically foretelling the arrival of Jesus...

After he came there was really no need of another prophet... At least that's the way I see it...

From Adam through the Old Testament and the New Testament authors, the Bible has only been dictated to and written by Jews who were of the special line God keep from being contaminated. ("In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread..." and therefore it continued through his offspring Jewish line that separated Cain from the true worship. Bread being a symbol of the divine word from God.)The New Testament era was to graft the Gentiles into the true religion. Gentiles can prophecy and prophesy to the NT believers; but since there will be no more divinely inspired scripture dictated from God, a universally accepted prophet is not recognized as such.

There are some scripture books listed in the Bible which are missing. But they were also divinely inspired by Jewish authors and if/when they are found they will be in an incorruptible state. (Not like the fragmented corruptible DEAD Sea Scrolls written by people who show no direct link to Adam). I would think the missing scrolls will give additional information on prophecy.

God bless us all

I think there has been. Just probably not recognized by abrahamic religons. Plenty of native American, Hindu, and buhddist like phrophets. The judeo/Christian scriptures are not the only source of spiritual information.

If anyone knows of the LDS or Mormon faith... they have had 'genuine' prophets since Joseph Smith in the 1800's & when one passes away a new prophet is elected or 'chosen'.....

There have been, and are "prophets." The problem is that miracles are not as easily accepted in this day and age so they are simply ignored…

God sends someone in every 100 years to recover his message, not a prophet but like a representative of the prophet.

The last prophet had come and there will be no more prophet, we are in the end times.

God always and continuously has power and control on everyone and everything in the universe. god never gives up.

OMG duh... how did I miss this...there has been. His name was Muhammad...he was the founder of Islam.

OMG duh... how did I miss this...there has been. His name was Muhammad...he was the founder of Islam.

Did you miss this too?.....

"I meant Official Prophet. Accepted by the main Jewish and/or Christian Churches as speaking on God's behalf."

lol :)

Thanks everyone!

If one came along, how many current Christians would believe him? Take the example of Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormons and self-declared prophet. Or, as has already been said, Muhammad. There are countless others. Prophets come along claiming to reform religion, but all they end up doing is founding new ones.

Since you're asking about the Christian God, then I guess we should see what the Christian Bible says about it:

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

~ Hebrews 1:1-2

In the past God spoke to us through his prophets, but now he speaks to us through Jesus. There is no need for an "official prophet". However, that does not mean that there aren't prophets. But the message these prophets bring will be nothing different to the message Jesus brought to us already.

~ PA

• Like 2

Since you're asking about the Christian God, then I guess we should see what the Christian Bible says about it:

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

~ Hebrews 1:1-2

In the past God spoke to us through his prophets, but now he speaks to us through Jesus. There is no need for an "official prophet". However, that does not mean that there aren't prophets. But the message these prophets bring will be nothing different to the message Jesus brought to us already.

~ PA

+1

• Like 1

+1

+2 :)

I think I found my answer.

Thank you all!

:)

p.s. Am trying to regain my Christian Faith... without going to Church and listening to same old same old.

Edited by Eldorado

If one came along, how many current Christians would believe him? Take the example of Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormons and self-declared prophet. Or, as has already been said, Muhammad. There are countless others. Prophets come along claiming to reform religion, but all they end up doing is founding new ones.

Another good one. I was just going to mention Joseph Smith.

Did you miss this too?.....

"I meant Official Prophet. Accepted by the main Jewish and/or Christian Churches as speaking on God's behalf."

lol :)

Thanks everyone!

And under whose authority is this determined?

I mean seriously what Church is going to be like "yup this guy speaks for God?" Has this ever happened? Anytime something like this happens a new religion is formed as was the case with Christianity, Islam, and Mormonism. I mean as people have pointed out the Bible says Jesus is it...until Muhammad came...then he was it...The next one will come when he can convince enough people to drink the kool-aid and they will form their own Church. Maybe the Church of Moses and Jesus that Drink the Kool Aid.

Edited by HuttonEtAl
  • Like 1

And under whose authority is this determined?

That's what kinda bothers me.

..and btw... Jesus is/was the Messiah, Son of God. The Prophets were simple pilgrims like Abraham, Daniel and Malachi etc.

That's what kinda bothers me.

..and btw... Jesus is/was the Messiah, Son of God. The Prophets were simple pilgrims like Abraham, Daniel and Malachi etc.

That is mearly an opinion. Jews did not think he was the son of God. They did not even think he was a prophet or the Messiah. They thought he was a heretical Roman sympathizing rabbi that was perverting the teachings of the Torah (and he was.) Many people (that consider themselves Christian) question the divinity of Jesus. Muslims consider Jesus a great prophet but not divine and most certainly not the son of God. It is all a matter of opinion. So once again, who is the authority? It all comes down to ones personal belief.