Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is modern music lacking

The_Spirit_of_Truth

I have just written a short article about a possible "deliberate deficiency" of today's music:

There are many beautiful songs in the world, but when we take a closer look at them all, we will notice several important things that are wrong.

Three main "rotten things" in music:

1. No songs sing about such a soul stealing like at home by a care person or relative, or by personnel in the institutes where people die and similarly.

2. Too few songs sing about the most intensely suffering people (about those who suffer in the biggest pain and no one will help them) and about what they feel inside.

3. Many songs join good melody with stupid or unsuitable words (for example, a melody of sympathy that si accompanied by a text about love for some girl; Heavenly melody accompanied by words about unserious things of life)

It looks as if the soul stealing and the most intensely suffering people were two subjects, which is almost forbidden to sing about. But the Destiny of every human soul and of every human being are something what must be paid a lot of attention of all others. Despite this fact it gets the deserved attention in music only very rarely.

The look at the present music (of all genres) suggests a system that decreases our thinking about the true Heavenly things, about the safety of our own soul and the compassion for the most intensely suffering people. When we listen to the present music, our subconsciousness is mainly taught to think of love for a person of opposite gender or of some other things of life.

The essence of this "empty window" in music reminds me the most famous religions, which will give you anything but the truth that is forbidden for you to know. Both music and religions prevent people from any complete spiritual growth. And deliberately.

Now I am going to ask you something: Do you believe that music has a less positive influence upon our souls, when it does not contain a sufficient amount of songs about the safety of our souls and about the most intensely suffering people? I believe that a very large amount of attention should be paid to those who suffer most of all. But it seems to me that music is little forgetting about them. Or am I wrong?

• Like 1

You're wrong.

Music is a constantly molding, universal language. You will hear what you think and feel inside. So if all you hear feels wrong to you, then you are feeling wrong inside.

• Like 5

In my opinion music HAS evolved to suit it's audience. Such as singing about what's in at the moment and as you can see by looking at just the last 2 years how many of those hits have fallen off...

It used to be about heart and soul and now it's all business. Gotta make that money. There are very few songs these days that really speak to me on a deep level.

• Like 6

"pop" music is meant to sell and make money, nothing more. If it gets radio play, it won't bring up legitimate concerns very often, and certainly not in a crystal clear manner... it just does not sell.

Also, among the topics you claim are missing, all are covered in other genres of music. metal, my chosen genre, but not the only) has several hundred songs about the down-trodden, the suffering, the abused and so forth.

I happen to agree with Hasina here though... it's not the job of music to brink issues to the for front. The job of music is very simple and basic - to entertain.

• Like 1

If the music we listen to makes us happy, who cares? Although, I will say that I wish some of the more mainstream musicians would sing about something other than romance and love.

• Like 1

Now I am going to ask you something: Do you believe that music has a less positive influence upon our souls, when it does not contain a sufficient amount of songs about the safety of our souls and about the most intensely suffering people? I believe that a very large amount of attention should be paid to those who suffer most of all. But it seems to me that music is little forgetting about them. Or am I wrong?

Each person has heard most genre's of music. We all listen to specific genre's depending on the mood we are in. Most songs I don't even really bother with on the lyrics, but more just listen to the overall melody or beat of the song. Sometimes I want the song to move me in some way, get me pumped up, hit me emotionally, or just make me relax. Sometimes I just want to hear something to put me to sleep.

Music is supposed to be about the things in life that we as individuals find meaning in or that are pleasing to the ear.

I certainly don't want to hear songs of suffering or about the suffering of others and I certainly don't believe we need songs about the safety of souls ( I don't believe in souls)! Given a choice of listening to the music you are describing or listening to no music at all I would choose the latter.....

• Like 2

modern pop music is soulless ;)

What they call "R&B" is more often then not sound and fury signifying nothing.

Note to the Biebers of the world - a song is not repeating the same word over and over in the same tone of voice.

• Like 4

Why is it musics job to pay attention to the suffering masses?

Because music has an influence upon man's subconsciousness and his soul, therefore it would do a good work if it was developing sympathy for the suffering as well as understanding of their hard life.

• Like 1

If you think music is going in the wrong direction do something about it and write your own. Those 3 points I found covered in most genres...... including rap. Heck even groups like Insane Clown Posse has songs that talk about people going through bad things and what it does to those people. They even talk about saving your soul and going to God and market that with murder.

What they call "R&B" is more often then not sound and fury signifying nothing.

Note to the Biebers of the world - a song is not repeating the same word over and over in the same tone of voice.

Got it so it's basically it's identical to church hymns.

• Like 1

You're wrong.

Music is a constantly molding, universal language. You will hear what you think and feel inside.

You are only right when you speak about the perception of music. Yes, you can think it and feel inside. HOWEVER, if you are not capable of it when the melody is accompanied by unsuitable words, then you have a bad luck. Ideal case = the proper melody + the proper words.

• Like 1

In my opinion music HAS evolved to suit it's audience. Such as singing about what's in at the moment and as you can see by looking at just the last 2 years how many of those hits have fallen off...

It used to be about heart and soul and now it's all business. Gotta make that money. There are very few songs these days that really speak to me on a deep level.

It not only suits the audience, but it is also creating it a bit.

So you say that earlier the situation about music was better? Interesting observation. In view of the fact that certain kind of people uses to say "there is more and more of us here", it perhaps also reflects the change about music.

Because music has an influence upon man's subconsciousness and his soul, therefore it would do a good work if it was developing sympathy for the suffering as well as understanding of their hard life.

People make music, it's not their job to do that either.

Also, among the topics you claim are missing, all are covered in other genres of music. metal, my chosen genre, but not the only) has several hundred songs about the down-trodden, the suffering, the abused and so forth.

I do not know by which details these songs describe the terrible situation of those poor guys, but the number of the songs which do that really properly is not too big, right?

For example, do they describe all the details of what e.g. fully paralyzed person exactly feels, being uncapable of the slightest movement, how he or she cannot say that a tooth began to terribly hurt and that he or she wants a different food than he or she was given?

I happen to agree with Hasina here though... it's not the job of music to brink issues to the for front. The job of music is very simple and basic - to entertain.

Yes, to entertain. But in view of the influence of the music upon us, this entertainment should be joined with a bit of some good education for our subconsciousness and for our soul.

If the music we listen to makes us happy, who cares? Although, I will say that I wish some of the more mainstream musicians would sing about something other than romance and love.

Music should join both the romance and love with other serious things to be more complete and more universal.

• Like 1

Each person has heard most genre's of music. We all listen to specific genre's depending on the mood we are in. Most songs I don't even really bother with on the lyrics, but more just listen to the overall melody or beat of the song. Sometimes I want the song to move me in some way, get me pumped up, hit me emotionally, or just make me relax. Sometimes I just want to hear something to put me to sleep.

Music is supposed to be about the things in life that we as individuals find meaning in or that are pleasing to the ear.

I certainly don't want to hear songs of suffering or about the suffering of others and I certainly don't believe we need songs about the safety of souls ( I don't believe in souls)! Given a choice of listening to the music you are describing or listening to no music at all I would choose the latter.....

Okay, I understand. You made your point. This is the attitude of the majority of people. In such a case music will entertain you but it won't develop you universally.

Good observation with some exceptions to this conclusion.

Edited by The_Spirit_of_Truth

So much whiney, pansy music out there now, it's hard to point out what's right with music nowadays.

There is not so much right to be worth pointing at.

Does it? Or is it the other way around?

We could all listen to the same song and get striking, extremely different meaning and emotion, or lack thereof from it.

So is the written song influencing us, or is our own inner translation of it?

Cussing can be used as a good analogy. You could say '@#$% you' to one person and illicit an angry response. Others would get uncomfortable or afraid. Some might laugh. Others will shake your hand. This wide array of emotions, most contrasting others, isn't caused by the word itself or by its intent by the speaker. They were caused by the person's own inner translation. The only person who can get an emotional or conscious/subconscious/unconscious reaction out of yourself is.. yourself. The initial medium can only present itself to you, for you to interpret, either consciously or otherwise.

So, what is your Spirit telling you the music is about? You have already told us in the OP.

• Like 1

That's fine for you. There are a multitude of other responses you could receive from other people, which would be correct and true in their eyes. To you, it is entertainment. For another, it may be release. Science. Art. Political. Philosophical. Love. Happiness. Worship. You name it, and you can tie music and song into it. Music is almost as old as man. I'd be curious to see if it is even as old as man. I just know it was not entertainment when natives of my country would sing and dance to, and for, their gods.

Even if you just were referring to the music entertainment business, far too many people put much more meaning into it than simply 'entertainment'.

accompanied by unsuitable words

Who decides what is suitable or not? You, and your sole interpretation of the words?

Who died and made you critic of Truth?

If you think music is going in the wrong direction do something about it and write your own. Those 3 points I found covered in most genres...... including rap. Heck even groups like Insane Clown Posse has songs that talk about people going through bad things and what it does to those people. They even talk about saving your soul and going to God and market that with murder.

Exactly. But he has blinded himself to seeing the brighter sides of the songs by his predisposition to what he automatically (through his own or others conditioning) finds "unsuitable words". His conscious thought has taken over and commanded what he feels from songs. He should just let go and let the unconscious part take over. That's what I do for listening to music sometimes. I also, for fun, take songs and mix them together to make new songs. I don't even fit them together consciously most of the time. They just seem to piece together like a puzzle. It's the unconscious (or subconscious) mainly at work. Don't like what songs are saying? Let your unconscious mold them.

I'd be curious to hear your translation of this song, Spirit Of Truth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5-k3JPOC2M&feature=plcp

When has music ever been like you said Spirit?

There is a huge difference between the past and the present. Singing a song around a campfire with your family is completely different then listening to the radio, singing in the shower, in front of an audience in a play. There is more then one context in which music fits. What about background music in movies, tv shows or even video games? Each song in each situation has different criteria required to do its job.

Music comes in a variety almost reminds me of people when you think about it. Time changes things but the patterns will always stay the same. The great works will shine through the ages of time and the not so great will give way in a short time which gives a false sense of what was really going on at that time. That will never change. Nostalgia is a cruel mistress sometimes.

Honestly that mash-up is perfect for this topic.

• Like 1

Doh double post

Edited by Jinxdom

Answer to your topics title is pretty much simple.... chords... music nowdays is lacking chords. Take a listen to a mozart song and then take a listen to any kind of music genre track today, you will find that melodic part of track is barely melodic, it changes notes very rarely... This was even written in a magazine not long ago.

• Like 2