Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

The History of the Queen of Sheba


  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#16    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,684 posts
  • Joined:18 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tennessee, USA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostRiaan, on 03 February 2013 - 08:17 PM, said:

Sorry - not properly explained. In the Bible Joseph was described as a man of exceptional beauty who was coveted by his master's wife. When Joseph rejected her advances, she accused him of attempted rape and he was imprisoned. The king, who was a tyrant, was called Scharabel in the text. No idea where the author of this text got the name from.

Would you care to cite that reference as it's not in Genesis Chapter 39, which is where the story is told. Also, what evidence do you have that Yuya was ever thrown in prison? As to the name Scharabel, it exists nowhere in the Bible so is rather meaningless.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#17    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Based on archaeology we know nothing about Solomon.
But its interesting that Solomon could speak with animals,birds, he could control devil,he is prophet in Islam.
Thats why we have so many Suleiman rulers

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#18    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 36,011 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

View PostRiaan, on 03 February 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

Yes, the Amarna letters. Rohl analysed the contents of these letters and observed that many of the events and locations described in the letters match those associated with Saul.

Where we have the Garden Eden and the rest... your problem is that nobody seems to agree with him.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#19    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 19,100 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

View PostRiaan, on 03 February 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. It was the other way around. When Bathsheba was taken by David, she sent her infant children (two sisters) to Yuya (Joseph) in Egypt. Had they remained in Israel, David would have had them killed. These two girls grew up in Egypt and the most beautiful one of them, Nefertiti, was most likely betrothed to Amenhotep III, but in the end became Akhenaten's wife. The Israelites knew about this, specifically when she came from Egypt to see Solomon, her half-brother, and remembered her in oral tradition or scripture as "Sheba's queen". Josephus knew that she was in fact the queen of Egypt. Bathsheba, her biological mother, may even still have been alive when Nefertiti visited Solomon. In other words, Nefertiti was half-Hittite (from Uriah) and half Jewish (from Bathsheba).

Are you perhaps referring to the bride Solomon received from the an Egyptian Pharaoh? She may have been one of the numerous daughters of Amehotep III, given to Solomon as bride by Nefertiti and Akhenaten as a sign of goodwill.
Ah... I see after re-reading. You are saying Bathsheba (wife of Uriah the Hittite) was the daughter of Sheba son of Bikri (2nd Samuael 20). And that Bathsheba had at least one daughter who escaped to Egypt to live with Joseph. But how would Sheba, or Bathsheba have known Joseph to send this girl there?

Are you talking about the Joseph, son of Jacob (12th son), from Genesis? If so then he, Joseph would have to be monsterously old, since he would have been Moses's great, great Uncle. And David, having been decended from Judah (Jacob's 4th son) would have been his great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grand uncle (8 "greats"). I don't think he would still be around after 11 generations...

Edited by DieChecker, 03 February 2013 - 10:26 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#20    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,111 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 03 February 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

The problem we have here, no matter if around 1000 BC or 1300 BC, there is very little archeological evidence for the whole line of David, and should there have been a King David of Judah, he surely did not have the importance attributed to him. Judah was a quite unimportant place and its capital a 3 goat town. If you want to find anything relevant of the era and to Judaism you have to search in Samaria.

Why would such an unimportant '3 goat town' show up in ancient Egyptian and Akkadian records?

A city called Rušalimum or Urušalimum (Foundation of Shalem) is mentioned twice in ancient Egyptian records. These references are widely, if not universally, assumed to indicate Jerusalem, and date back to the 19th and 18th centuries BCE. The name recurs in Akkadian cuneiform as Urušalim, in the Amarna tablets datable to the 1400-1360 BCE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem


#21    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  • Joined:04 Aug 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Plato's Cave

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

interesting stuff but joseph and david arnt alive at the same time i thought

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#22    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 36,011 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 04 February 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

Why would such an unimportant '3 goat town' show up in ancient Egyptian and Akkadian records?

A city called Rušalimum or Urušalimum (Foundation of Shalem) is mentioned twice in ancient Egyptian records. These references are widely, if not universally, assumed to indicate Jerusalem, and date back to the 19th and 18th centuries BCE. The name recurs in Akkadian cuneiform as Urušalim, in the Amarna tablets datable to the 1400-1360 BCE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem

Well, have a look at what they excavated and then tell me, but I guess it is more due to the fact that Judah was not an independent kingdom until around the 4th century, but sometimes an Egyptian province, others an Egyptian colony and mostly an Egyptian protectorate (until the Babylonians had enough of the crap and took the whole thing over). After that a Persian province and a Greek province. The Kings of Judah were as independent as Erich Honecker's GDR or Czechoslovakia (until 1990, that is). An Jerusalem means city of peace in Hebrew and much more likely to be the origin of the name, so it might be very possible that Urusalim is a completely different place.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#23    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,111 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 04 February 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Well, have a look at what they excavated and then tell me, but I guess it is more due to the fact that Judah was not an independent kingdom until around the 4th century, but sometimes an Egyptian province, others an Egyptian colony and mostly an Egyptian protectorate (until the Babylonians had enough of the crap and took the whole thing over). After that a Persian province and a Greek province. The Kings of Judah were as independent as Erich Honecker's GDR or Czechoslovakia (until 1990, that is). An Jerusalem means city of peace in Hebrew and much more likely to be the origin of the name, so it might be very possible that Urusalim is a completely different place.

You may be interested in what I just posted in the "Are the Jews Egyptians?" thread.


#24    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 36,011 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 04 February 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

You may be interested in what I just posted in the "Are the Jews Egyptians?" thread.

Probably, but we always have to bear in mind that "Israel" was in fact two distinct nations until about the 7th century, Judah in the South (Egyptian protectorate)and Samaria (first pretty independent, later an Assyrian protectorate, short times also colonized by Egypt) in the North. It was not until a large part of the Samaritan population was displaced by the Babylonian occupation (most ending up in Judah) that we suddenly have an "Israeli tribe". Before that they hated each others guts (and if we are to believe the Bible were not on the best speaking terms once reunified under the Persian empire either).

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#25    Riaan

Riaan

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined:04 Jul 2009
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 03 February 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

Where we have the Garden Eden and the rest... your problem is that nobody seems to agree with him.

The reason why nobody agrees with Rohl is that he shifts the well-established dating of the New Kingdom to the rather tenuous conventional dating of Saul and David. If he had done it the other way around, and moved only the dating of Saul and David earlier in time, I'm sure scholars would have taken him more seriously.

Author of

Thera and the Exodus, published February 2013, details here
Barbelo - The Story of Jesus Christ, published October 2014, details here

#26    Riaan

Riaan

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined:04 Jul 2009
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 03 February 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Ah... I see after re-reading. You are saying Bathsheba (wife of Uriah the Hittite) was the daughter of Sheba son of Bikri (2nd Samuael 20). And that Bathsheba had at least one daughter who escaped to Egypt to live with Joseph. But how would Sheba, or Bathsheba have known Joseph to send this girl there?

Are you talking about the Joseph, son of Jacob (12th son), from Genesis? If so then he, Joseph would have to be monsterously old, since he would have been Moses's great, great Uncle. And David, having been decended from Judah (Jacob's 4th son) would have been his great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great grand uncle (8 "greats"). I don't think he would still be around after 11 generations...

If Joseph had indeed risen to a position of power in Egypt, in fact, the most powerful man in Egypt second only to the king himself, everyone in Israel would have known about it.

Yes, exactly that Joseph. The Genesis account claims that there were many generations between Joseph and Moses. However, according to Justin in his Epitoma Historiarum Philippcarum 36.2, Moses was the son of Joseph, while Cheremon makes Joseph and Moses contemporaries (Josephus,Against Apion 1.32 (290-291). Both of these are correct - Moses as Prince Tuthmosis was the (grand)son of Joseph (Yuya) and Moses as a boy would have known his grandfather. The Genesis account must be incorrect in this respect and could very well have been doctored to hide Moses' true identity.

Edited by Riaan, 04 February 2013 - 05:02 PM.

Author of

Thera and the Exodus, published February 2013, details here
Barbelo - The Story of Jesus Christ, published October 2014, details here

#27    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,111 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 04 February 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

Probably, but we always have to bear in mind that "Israel" was in fact two distinct nations until about the 7th century, Judah in the South (Egyptian protectorate)and Samaria (first pretty independent, later an Assyrian protectorate, short times also colonized by Egypt) in the North. It was not until a large part of the Samaritan population was displaced by the Babylonian occupation (most ending up in Judah) that we suddenly have an "Israeli tribe". Before that they hated each others guts (and if we are to believe the Bible were not on the best speaking terms once reunified under the Persian empire either).

In fact I was sort of agreeing with you about Jerusalem by redirecting you to that post in the "Are Jews Egyptians?" thread:

http://www.unexplain...30#entry4649953

I just didn't want to post that post in 2 threads.

The Egyptian "Urušalimum" could indeed be the Jewish Jerusalem... only not the one we all know of in present day Israel.

.

Edited by Abramelin, 04 February 2013 - 05:05 PM.


#28    Riaan

Riaan

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined:04 Jul 2009
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 04 February 2013 - 08:16 AM, said:

interesting stuff but joseph and david arnt alive at the same time i thought

See my response to DieChecker. According to Justin and Cheremon Joseph and Moses were contemporaries, and with Rohl's identification of David as the Amarna Dadua, David and Joseph would have been alive at the same time.

Author of

Thera and the Exodus, published February 2013, details here
Barbelo - The Story of Jesus Christ, published October 2014, details here

#29    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 36,011 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 04 February 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

In fact I was sort of agreeing with you about Jerusalem by redirecting you to that post in the "Are Jews Egyptians?" thread.

I just didn't want to post that post in 2 threads.

The Egyptian "Urušalimum" could indeed be the Jewish Jerusalem... only not the one we all know of in present day Israel.

I think that if you want to find the place where things attributed to the house of David really happened you have to dig in Samaria. And yes, the pre 5th century Jerusalem could be in a completely different place than where we expect it to be.

Edited by questionmark, 04 February 2013 - 05:06 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#30    Riaan

Riaan

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Joined:04 Jul 2009
  • Gender:Male

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 03 February 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

Would you care to cite that reference as it's not in Genesis Chapter 39, which is where the story is told. Also, what evidence do you have that Yuya was ever thrown in prison? As to the name Scharabel, it exists nowhere in the Bible so is rather meaningless.

cormac

Joseph's beauty or comeliness is described in Genesis 39:6.

There is no evidence that Yuya had been thrown in jail. The Arabic document merely confirms that this vizier had been alienated from his king, only to be reinstated and elevated at a later stage. This matches Joseph's fall from grace and his later appointment as a high profile figure in Egypt. Yuya must therefore have had a run-in with either Tuthmose IV or his son, Amenhotep III.

Edited by Riaan, 04 February 2013 - 05:09 PM.

Author of

Thera and the Exodus, published February 2013, details here
Barbelo - The Story of Jesus Christ, published October 2014, details here




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users