Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is our water safe to drink

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you drink water from your Tap? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you drink water out of your tap without treating it?

1. Yes (20 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

2. No (6 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

3. Only under special circumstances (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

I´m hoping that there will be a poll that comes with this post. I was just reading an article about the safety of Canadian drinking water.

On any given day there are an estimated 1,500 boil water advisories in effect across Canada. Some are in effect for hours, some for days -- and some have lasted decades. Portugal Cove South, in Newfoundland and Labrador, has been under a boil water advisory for 29 years, since 1984.

According to Chris Wood, co-author of Down the Drain: How We Are Failing to Protect Our Water, a lot of illness is caused by unsafe drinking water in Canada. "Across the country, roughly 500 times a day, somebody visits an ER [hospital emergency room] or visits a doctor for some kind of gastrointestinal distress which basically comes down to their water," he told The Current in a recent interview.

When I lived in Canada (just over 10 years ago, I never hesitated to drink water out of the tap. I currently reside in Mexico where no one drinks water from their tap for obvious reasons. I´m just curious if members of UM drink water from the tap or not. Thanks for taking the time to answer the poll.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,441 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Calgary, Alberta resident here. The only time I ever drink from the tap is when I'm visiting a friend/relative and no filtered water is available, or I might take an occasional swallow of water while showering. The bulk of my water passes through a Brita filter system first.

As an interesting aside, I was quite surprised to see the difference in the clarity of my ice cubes since I started using the Brita. If I fill the tray from the tap, the cubes are almost opaque. When I fill using the Brita, they are crystal clear except for a small opaque spot in each cube...

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#3    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,403 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

I don't drink tap water period,Who knows what they put in it,saying that though is bottled water safe.

You just don't know.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#4    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,441 posts

include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

View Postshaddow134, on 10 July 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

I don't drink tap water period,Who knows what they put in it,saying that though is bottled water safe.

You just don't know.

Pepsi, Nestle and few other big names have admitted their bottled water is simply tap water

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#5    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,548 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 10 July 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Pepsi, Nestle and few other big names have admitted their bottled water is simply tap water

Well, it is water in a bottle so I guess technically they are being truthful. Must make a good buck from filling up plastic bottles with tap water and selling it. SAD IMO.

G.Clinton

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,014 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Nothing wrong with the water here. Little chlorine and some natural lime in it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,856 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Just watched Gasland II the other night.  We here in Florida are pretty safe, but those living near fracking are really getting screwed, big time.

My son lives in Garfield County Colorado, and the water is so bad it ruins clothes when doing laundry.  They can shower, but never drink the water.  Something over 300ppm of particulate matter.  Yuck.

#8    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,697 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

I can't drink the water here. Way too much chlorine in it.  I live in the Shuswap in BC, Canada.  There are rivers and lakes all over and we treat our water.  A few years ago a town had an outbreak of Beaver Fever, a bacteria that killed a few older citizens.  This was an excuse to chlorinate the water.  BUT, chlorine doesn't kill Beaver Fever. It is carcinogenic, though. IMO, I think it is a money grab for companies.  We are weakening our systems by being too 'clean'.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#9    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,548 posts

G.Clinton

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 July 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

Nothing wrong with the water here. Little chlorine and some natural lime in it.

Where´s here? Greece or Iowa?

G.Clinton

#10    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,441 posts

include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

View Postglorybebe, on 10 July 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

I can't drink the water here. Way too much chlorine in it.  I live in the Shuswap in BC, Canada.  There are rivers and lakes all over and we treat our water.  A few years ago a town had an outbreak of Beaver Fever, a bacteria that killed a few older citizens.  This was an excuse to chlorinate the water.  BUT, chlorine doesn't kill Beaver Fever. It is carcinogenic, though. IMO, I think it is a money grab for companies.  We are weakening our systems by being too 'clean'.

I was really interested in getting a home water filtration system (one that would all water coming into house,) a few months back. I had the opportunity to talk to a filtration salesman while at a "home and garden" convention (wife's idea!) and as I expressed concerns over flouride in the water he stopped me and said "they stopped putting flouride in the water in Canada a few years ago. The chlorine has to stay in the water to prevent a buildup of bacteria. Otherwise the water would start to smell and taste funny." Seems like a pretty good reason to me. Not too thrilled about the idea of chlorine, but it does make sense. Unfortunately it's not something the Brita filters out...reverse osmosis filtration is the only way to fully remove it.

#11    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,384 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

We have a filter going to the refrigerator ice maker and water dispenser, but I do drink directly from the tap too. Don't get me started on the scam that is bottled water.

#12    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,014 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

View Postjugoso, on 10 July 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Where´s here? Greece or Iowa?

Right now I am in Greece on a remote little island. In Iowa there is slightly more chlorine in the water, have not analyzed the other contents yet.

Edited by questionmark, 10 July 2013 - 07:50 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#13    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,505 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

We have a well, so we always drink tap water. We do have a filter on the well pump, but that's due to fine silt. Only time our water seems to be a problem is when particular city friends visit- they are unused to well water so it seems off to them.

#14    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

I drink out of my tap.  I have a deep well and the water is good.

#15    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,357 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 10 July 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

Just watched Gasland II the other night.  We here in Florida are pretty safe, but those living near fracking are really getting screwed, big time.

My son lives in Garfield County Colorado, and the water is so bad it ruins clothes when doing laundry.  They can shower, but never drink the water.  Something over 300ppm of particulate matter.  Yuck.

Florida water tastes horrible, though that is not really a sign of safety.  There was some city I read about where the water tasted great, but was not particularly safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users