Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Higgs Boson 'God' particle discovered

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#16    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Saru, your title is terribly misleading.

no one at the conference said they've found the higgs boson
what was said bassically is that they've found A boson that is at the same coordinates they expect the higgs boson to be.
No absolute conclusions are drawn, only that we are on the right track and that further testing is necessary.

Edited by Render, 04 July 2012 - 01:23 PM.

#17    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

So god was found and he is in Switzerland???  Where else one could hide his/hers assets?

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#18    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

View Postranrod, on 04 July 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

I don't see it in the foreseeable future.  Not all discoveries lead to consumer products either.  Some lead to greater understanding and help us refine our models, hypotheses, and theories.  Some practical device might come, but it's hard to tell when.  Quantum Mechanics, for instance, got it's beginnings in the 1920's but a consumer product which used its principles didn't show up until the 1980's (the cell phone).  Same goes for General Relativity introduced in 1916 (as far as a practical product in the home).  Maybe in 2072 we'll have some product such as an anti-gravity skateboard (waaaay behind the back to the future timeline).

Thanks for the explanation, I understand that better now.

I did think being more advanced now might help though.

Do you think this will change space travel as the particle is faster than light isn't it?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#19    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostRender, on 04 July 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

Saru, your title is terribly misleading.

no one at the conference said they've found the higgs boson
what was said bassically is that they've found A boson that is at the same coordinates they expect the higgs boson to be.
No absolute conclusions are drawn, only that we are on the right track and that further testing is necessary.
You are absolutely right about this.  I didn't want to nitpick in a layman's site though :geek:
The boson identity comes from the decay channel and the energy level, not the coordinates.  Analyzing the angular distribution of the decay products on further experiments they can determine the spin.  This is important since that's the next prediction: its spin will be zero.

Edited by ranrod, 04 July 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#20    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostCoffey, on 04 July 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Thanks for the explanation, I understand that better now.

I did think being more advanced now might help though.

Do you think this will change space travel as the particle is faster than light isn't it?
No the higgs boson does not move faster than light.  Maybe you're referring to a different experiment?  Some scientists at CERN though they measured neutrinos going faster than light a few months back, but it ended up being a loose wire :hmm:  They didn't announce or proclaim they had discovered such.  They reached out to the scientific community to help them figure out where the error laid.  The "reaching out" message got blown out of proportion by the media organizations.

#21    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,218 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

The question if we can gain any technology from it at this point is quite irrelevant, more relevant is that it is another piece that we could fit in the puzzle of uncertainties and that this way we can confirm certain assumption that did not get out of the theory status and discard others.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#22    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

Hoorah!

#23    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

This will open up a whole lot more questions.

#24    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

View Postranrod, on 04 July 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

No the higgs boson does not move faster than light.  Maybe you're referring to a different experiment?  Some scientists at CERN though they measured neutrinos going faster than light a few months back, but it ended up being a loose wire :hmm:  They didn't announce or proclaim they had discovered such.  They reached out to the scientific community to help them figure out where the error laid.  The "reaching out" message got blown out of proportion by the media organizations.

A loose wire! LOL How funny. I heard it through someone who read it in an article, so it's the usual media doing a fine job at reportingl. Shame that could have opened up some new possibilities.

Edited by Coffey, 04 July 2012 - 03:20 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#25    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

I am sure that the creationists will come up with some other such BS explanation to justify their ridiculous beliefs, regardless of what science finds.

Great find, anyway. This opens a lot of doors.

#26    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostZaraKitty, on 04 July 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

I can hear the nerd-gasms happening all around the world as we speak.

Hey! Watch that "nerd-gasms" stuff, my friend. I actually cried when I read the news. I love science, and I am thrilled that this occurred in my lifetime. (Oh, God...I really am a nerd. And probably a dweeb, too. And a dork. :P )

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#27    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,218 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

in related news:

The Telegraph said:

Higgs Boson: Prof Stephen Hawking loses $100 bet

When Peter Higgs first proposed that an invisible field strewn across space gave mass to the building blocks of the universe, the theory was ridiculed by some of the most respected minds of the time.

read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#28    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

View Postlizzieboo, on 04 July 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

Hey! Watch that "nerd-gasms" stuff, my friend. I actually cried when I read the news. I love science, and I am thrilled that this occurred in my lifetime. (Oh, God...I really am a nerd. And probably a dweeb, too. And a dork. :P )

You got to love American culture.

Anyway the God particle violates symmetry so science is in for some huge changes.

#29    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Wow. I will not pretend that I know what does it means but recently I read top 5 mysteries in physics one of it was this. And explaining how CERN "ring"was built to found it.
Mission accomplished.

Edited by the L, 04 July 2012 - 06:18 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#30    harleyblueswoman

harleyblueswoman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:18 PM

I feel God also is celebrating!! His children has came a long way and He is delighted that they are finally using their brains in the way that it was intended!!! We still have a long way to go tho....it excites me even more that there was a being called God that used this particle to create such a vast and complicated world and universes beyond and gave us such brains that we too can use to follow our dreams with!!!   I am all for that replicator....been wishing for it for a long time.....I hate to cook!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users