Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U.S. Warns of Threat to Financial Icons

DC09

WASHINGTON - The federal government warned Sunday of possible terrorist attacks against "iconic" financial institutions in New York City, Washington and Newark, N.J., saying a confluence of chilling intelligence in recent days pointed to a car or truck bomb.

The government said the new intelligence indicated the meticulous planning of al-Qaida. Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge identified explosives as the likely mode of attack, as opposed to a chemical or biological attack or a radiological "dirty" bomb.

In an unprecedented action, the government named these specific buildings in densely populated areas as potential targets:

Citigroup buildings and the New York Stock Exchange in New York City.

The International Monetary Fund and the World Bank buildings in Washington.

Prudential financial in northern New Jersey.

"The preferred means of attack would be car or truck bombs," Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said in a briefing with journalists. "That would be a primary means of attack," he said.

The government said the new intelligence indicated the meticulous planning of al-Qaida. Ridge identified explosives as the likely mode of attack, as opposed to a chemical or biological attack or a radiological "dirty" bomb.

Ridge said the government's threat level for financial institutions in just these three cities would be raised to orange, or high alert, but would remain at yellow, or elevated, elsewhere.

Full Article

ph34r.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Babs

• wunarmdscissor

• Stellar

• DC09

'SPECIFIC' THREAT OF ATTACK

The US increased the terrorist threat level for parts of New York and Washington after receiving intelligence that al Qaeda is to attack specific buildings.

Financial services districts of New York, Washington and the northern part of New Jersey state close to New York are now on "high" alert.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said he was "alarmed" by the "specificity" of the intelligence coming in that suggested attacks on the IMF and World Bank in Washington, the Citibank in New York and the Prudential building in New Jersey.

Mr Ridge said the biggest threat was of attacks using truck bombs.

"I ask our citizens for their watchful eye as we continue to monitor this situation," Mr Ridge told a press conference.

He said the intelligence was "unusually specific" although he said there was no information on whether the attacks were imminent.

"We know where, but we do not know when," Mr Ridge told reporters.

It means the areas singled out will have their terror threat levels raised from "elevated" to "high".

Mr Ridge said government security experts were in consultation with financial institutions to discuss how security could be bolstered.

He admitted that "this is sobering news" and urged Americans to be vigilant.

New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said this was the first such "extraordinary" intelligence report that was related to specific buildings.

"The principle threat to the financial institutions in New York city is by bombing either through a large vehicular bomb or by an individual trying to smuggle explosives in to a building by backpack or package," Kelly said at a press briefing.

He said companies should give special attention to parking facilities and should safeguard heating and ventilation systems from "being used to deliver chemical or biological agents".

"Of the two threats, explosive or chemical, explosives are considered more likely at this time," he added.

Link

I would think that any major city in the US would be a target and not just around New York whistling2.gif

Lol... watch the US expecting a car/truck bomb in New York, and instead being hit 9/11 style in Seattle and Chicago.

I would really like to know... the US says that Al Qaida wants to use WMDs against the US. They planned to use Sarin in Jordan... but what makes them think that right now they're NOT going to use any WMDs in the truck bombs? I think that car/truck bombs would only be a preparatory attack while something bigger is waiting to be executed. You know... they plan for years on something big, and inbetween they do small things to keep the people scared.

I'm not sure the LOL was really appropriate when we're talking about terrorist attacks.. huh.gif

They've been talking about possible distraction attacks forever now, but I think in reality it's getting hard enough just to plan and execute a regular attack within our borders without the extremely complicated plot thrown into the deal..

I'm not sure the LOL was really appropriate when we're talking about terrorist attacks.. huh.gif

Sorry... It was meant to be a sarcastic laugh.

I just heard that we want the borders open for the terrorists to come in. That way we can know what the terrrorists are up to and can nab them or deal with them the best possible way. (kill them wink2.gif ).

Edited by Babs

I just heard that we want the borders open for the terrorists to come in. That way we can know what the terrrorists are up to and can nab them or deal with them the best possible way. (kill them wink2.gif ).

What? What are you referring to?

mmmm interesting that this is so close to the UK and American elections eh.....

Not that would ever believe our governments to get involved in this sort of jiggerpokery lol.

mmmm interesting that this is so close to the UK and American elections eh.....

Not that would ever believe our governments to get involved in this sort of jiggerpokery lol.

Pray tell how a threat by terrorists has anything to do with the elections in November? As far as our governments 'making it all up' which is the between lines jist of what you are implying. wacko.gif

they said that there might be an attack during DNC week....got eveyone all paranoid and stuff....but did anything happen....nope....all we got was no newspaper boxes and balloon frustration.

altho do they really have to alert us to potential terror acts? warned or not...it would still be devistating and horrid. telling people bout all the terror threats just makes people scared and paraniod...isnt that what the terrorists want? is to scare the living crap outta us?

Edited by Anti_girl17

altho do they really have to alert us to potential terror acts?

Actually, I think they do... considering everything the Bush admin is going through because of not warning the public of 9/11...

I would think that any major city in the US would be a target and not just around New York whistling2.gif

Oh dear God, don't say that! I live in Houston for godsakes! Houston!!!!! crying.gifohmy.gif

Fluffy...I was for 'shutting down the borders' in terrorist times. I just heard on the news that we actually want the borders open to get a better handle on the terrorists.

Fluffy...I was for 'shutting down the borders' in terrorist times. I just heard on the news that we actually want the borders open to get a better handle on the terrorists.

How would that work? It seems like opening the borders would allow people to enter unchecked in far larger numbers.

hey u guys read that the news for this latest terror attack is nearly 3 years old lol. An i got mocked for my pre-emptive joke.

Im a phropehtic genious.lol

What are you talking about? I just heard on the news on TV that it comes partly from an Al Qaida members computer from January of this year. Where'd you hear that its nearly 3 years old... and what difference does it make? Al Qaida is known to plan for YEARS before a terrorist attack. 9/11 was being planned for what? 8 years I think I've heard?

I heard terrorists plan for years and this was planned for a few years, but this threat was updated in January.

hey u guys read that the news for this latest terror attack is nearly 3 years old lol. An i got mocked for my pre-emptive joke.

Im a phropehtic genious.lol

I believe what WUN is referring to is the fact that the information taken from the computer is 'up to' three years old. Obviously, we are all pretty intelligent here, and understand fully that planned, calculated, successful attacks, do not happen over night. They are planned for many years, with extreme precision...

And, I just don't know about the

phropehtic genious

part... I will just plead the fifth on that one... (I believe I do still retain that freedom) wink2.gif

Reese

Citigroup buildings in New York City. 
The International Monetary Fund and the World Bank buildings in Washington

YES!!!!!...A BIG, VERY BIG BOMB!!!

PD: Some can be offended, but has argentine citizen, i have a natural hate towerds that three institutions, and for the local politicians how cooperate whit that institutions.

I found an article on this, "Al Qaeda suspect reveals Web strategy".

here

Edited by Babs

Thank you, Mekorig, for your concern. cool.gif

Fluffy...The borders are wide open...I think, I heard, 6 million people come through those borders every year.

part... I will just plead the fifth on that one... (I believe I do still retain that freedom)

LOL only just but u wanna vote bush in again dont you lol.