Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

10,000 turtles found in luggage

kannin

More than 10,000 live exotic turtles have been found in the luggage of two passengers at an Indian airport.

The two Indian nationals were arrested at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International airport in Kolkata after customs officials discovered the reptiles packed in their suitcases.

"10,043 numbers of exotic varieties of the turtles have been seized from two passengers, residents of Chennai, who were coming from China to Singapore, and landed at Kolkata airport," said assistant commissioner of Airport Customs, Nabnit Kumar.

The turtles were in three bags waiting to be picked up from a conveyor belt when they aroused the suspicion of customs officials, The Indian Express reported.

http://news.sky.com/story/1117813/turtles-found-in-luggage-at-india-airport

• Like 1

this is so disgusting. When does it stop. They should go to jail forever.

• Like 2

i agree, i was apauled when i found the article, but i thought it was enough to get into the bizzare topic lol

• Like 1

This is why species that are on the verge probably (and unfortunately), won't make it. Mankind's inability to control it's greed and need to destroy everything we touch will sadly end many species existence.

• Like 3

This is why species that are on the verge probably (and unfortunately), won't make it. Mankind's inability to control it's greed and need to destroy everything we touch will sadly end many species existence.

i agree

this is so disgusting. When does it stop. They should go to jail forever.

beautiful cat man! very beautiful!

• Like 1

If they were ninja turtles no-one would have been any the wiser.

• Like 2

ROFL JUST COUGHED UP MY PEANUTS! EPIC COMMENTS

• Like 1

Thank you, kannin :)

• Like 1

If they were NInja turtles the smuggler would be pizza topping and on his way to being digested...

• Like 2

There are respectable reptiles keeper who buy only captive bred animals and many turtles are captive bred. Many thousand of Red-eared Sliders, Map Turtles, even Common Snappers, as well as more exotic species like the African Spur Thighed Tortoise are available though breeding. There is no need to take animals from the wild and also if they are rare, it may not be because they have been over hunted, it may be because they are very habitat specific and likely will do very poorly in captivity. There are some turtle breeding facilities, I believe the Atlanta Botanical Gardens is breeding rare confiscated turtles with success. No confiscated turtle is generally returned to the wild, because by being crowded together with other turtles (often of different regions) they often harbor disease, so it is up to serious breeders to take care of them and to hopefully produce young.

In the past may people who used to smuggle drugs switched over to wildlife because the penalties were either much less severe or in some cases the governments involved did not ever care about things like turtles of lizards.

My yard is full of native Box Turtles and I like the little guys, they harm nothing and I try to save as many from the local roads that I can. (They will pee on you if you're not careful, lol.)

• Like 1

well having 10,000 turtles that belong to an endangered species, thats a big chunk of that species gone, its sad to say but not all 10,000 tutrles were ment for expensive pets, its sick

• Like 2

I think it was noticed because the luggage was pulsating and started moving on it's own.

Ok, maybe not a true story(my story). :w00t:

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I think it was noticed because the luggage was pulsating and started moving on it's own.

Ok, maybe not a true story(my story). :w00t:

your most likley right, im still trying to wrap my head around how they conceiled 10k plus turtles thats crazy! and thats alot of fudging turtles!

• Like 1

And It's quite obvious that the smuggler could care less about the effect on the species to make a quick buck.

• Like 2

And It's quite obvious that the smuggler could care less about the effect on the species to make a quick buck.

isnt it truley disgusting?

• Like 1

this planet saddens me some times

• Like 1

very sickening

• Like 1