Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Interesting mineral formation on Mars


  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#91    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

    Secret Jesus

  • Member
  • 2,919 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

I know what it is...

Posted Image

It's a little silver car stunting off a ramp...

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#92    bison

bison

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Joined:13 Apr 2011

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 14 February 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

I know what it is...

Posted Image

It's a little silver car stunting off a ramp...
Yes, the part at the back, behind the vertical 'shaft' *does* look something like a slanted ramp. It looks as though this may be separate from  the vertical part, and connects the end of the horizontal part to what looks like a broad base. It is details like this that make me wonder about the simple geological explanation.


#93    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Joined:15 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

View Postbison, on 14 February 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

Yes, the part at the back, behind the vertical 'shaft' *does* look something like a slanted ramp. It looks as though this may be separate from  the vertical part, and connects the end of the horizontal part to what looks like a broad base. It is details like this that make me wonder about the simple geological explanation.
The simple geological explanation is to get people's attention off this item. NASA has no intention of investigating anything (in front of random persons from the internet) other than rocks and clay. They may well check it out without our knowledge tho.


#94    Taun

Taun

    A dashing moose about town...

  • Member
  • 5,255 posts
  • Joined:19 May 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tornado Alley (Oklahoma)

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

The original link now states that the object is 'about 3 CM's' in size... Thats' abit more than an inch if I did my math semi-right...

While I firmly believe that this is a natural object (as opposed to intelligently made), to me it sort of resembles the hood ornament off of a Jaguar car...

Edited by Taun, 15 February 2013 - 12:38 PM.


#95    bison

bison

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Joined:13 Apr 2011

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostTaun, on 15 February 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

The original link now states that the object is 'about 3 CM's' in size... Thats' abit more than an inch if I did my math semi-right...

While I firmly believe that this is a natural object (as opposed to intelligently made), to me it sort of resembles the hood ornament off of a Jaguar car...
Three centimeters? That's about six times larger than what they said before. Quite a large margin of error, it seems!  One suspects that there could be a good deal of uncertainty about various facts to do with this object.


#96    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

    Blue fish

  • Member
  • 12,586 posts
  • Joined:22 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

  • I dunno --

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

It don't belong there.


#97    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

    Secret Jesus

  • Member
  • 2,919 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 15 February 2013 - 05:49 AM, said:

The simple geological explanation is to get people's attention off this item.
Do you have evidence or an actual argument to back this up or is this just another kneejerk reaction typical of these forums where people take it upon faith that NASA are in the business of covering up every single interesting thing they find?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#98    dj_nubla

dj_nubla

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined:08 Jul 2012

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

NASA mentioned that this object is a rock that became crystallized due to winds and what have you...If that's the case then how come those rocks surrounding it doesn't have the same appearance??? those are also exposed to wind. It's about time another country should invest in space exploration that would be transparent enough to tell us the truth. They think they'll gain something from hiding the truth to the people??? They're just being used and will also suffer the same fate as we are when the time comes...


#99    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Joined:15 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 15 February 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

Do you have evidence or an actual argument to back this up or is this just another kneejerk reaction typical of these forums where people take it upon faith that NASA are in the business of covering up every single interesting thing they find?
The evidence is there for all to see. And also their lack of investigation of certain items.


#100    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostZeta Reticulum, on 16 February 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

The evidence is there for all to see. And also their lack of investigation of certain items.

I often wonder about Mars.  Millions of years ago if it were teaming with life maybe even intelligent in the oceans or on land. It may have been bombarded with meteors which helped it lose its magnetic field during a natural pole shifting.  Terrible climate effects would happen both to the atmosphere and even underground.  Extreme cold and heat, sand storms, dry ice snow spewing at the caps etc.  If this were to happen to earth how much would be left for archeologists to discover millions of years later?

With the sand storms themselves it would cover any signs of surviving structures.
We wouldn't really know until they were uncovered just as the Sphinx laid buried so long under the sand on our own planet. I would imagine ever thing would be gone except under ground for some extremeaphiles maybe?    

I'm not into conspiracy theories  but there are such sand storms from the drying, if there were any  real artifical structures  on Mars, very small or large, couldn't  they  be masked by the sands at certain times and  uncovered later by another sand storm later?  

Just a thought.


#101    chopmo

chopmo

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Joined:22 Nov 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

  • aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:41 AM

View PostArchimedes, on 14 February 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

Cheers for the photo, handy as usual :P

This is now very close to the idea of fulgurite after a lightning strike as rare as they are, they happen. Don't forget the universe is how old? There is no carbon dating on the item, not even sure if that is possible by us at this stage? sorry if I'm mistaken, so it could be in fact fulgurite and an old piece at that, one that has been through alot of wind and sand activity to wear it down to a smoother surface as it's still got a fair bit of dirt "gripping" to it. Just like in the desert and or a piece of glass in the ocean would smooth the objects down over time.

Hahaha think it's funny for people that bash nasa, Who is exactly putting their hand up to want to be the first person on mars at this time? Hence no manned mission, we are doing the same we did with the moon. Learn as much as possible with what we have then send someone. It's not they are controlling space and saying "NO... NO ONE ELSE CAN EXPLORE SPACE!", other countries are quite free to do the work and get to the same stage and ability to explore mars then they can send someone in cowboy gun-ho! if they want. Seems to me NASA care a fair bit about their staff. Would you send 5 randoms to mars just remember there could be nasty aliens :o OMG!!! so even by the crackpot theories you wouldn't be sending suicide sacrifices to any condition of unknown variables that could happen at this present time.

And on that note where is all the information coming from for the rebuttles? What space program do they run? Come on really? it's actions and comments like that, that make it soooo much harder for every other fringe theorist out there to follow theirs. What is the big deal if it's fake what could it do? There is apparently a majority of people out there just waiting to drop what they are doing and move to mars. DAMN YOU NASA!!! playing with peoples concious like that. Don't like the news don't follow the topic?

If there is such a threat about what they are doing, present an actual case for it plain and simple I do agree there is other things out there we don't know like the existance of ets and what not, but being in our back yard and posing a threat if it is a hoax mission to fool the world, maybe the cause is we just aren't ready to play neighbours yet? What would be so wrong with that, look at the reactions of the general public on the stupidest of news maybe it's us that are the problem and not mature enough to comunicate.

IF it was going to pose a threat there would be next to nothing bar commiting mass exodous globally... really think about it... if they have the ability to do everything everyone says from a stones through away like the moon or mars, they would obviously be far more superior in warfare and technology to get to where they are both would be needed in the theories against the hoax missions, to stop whatever would happen would be like throwing a global tamtrum. Enjoy what you have, if you think the oogie boogies are coming to get you, do so even more and don't waste time either that or document what there is.

Edited by chopmo, 16 February 2013 - 04:43 AM.

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

#102    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

    Official UM Asylum Resident

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Joined:20 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hawai'i

  • Wha? /:0\

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:51 AM

Looks like an earring I used to have that its now GONE... what do you know about that, Mars Rover Curiosity...hmmm???   I wonder how it got all the way up there on mars... :/

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald


#103    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

    Secret Jesus

  • Member
  • 2,919 posts
  • Joined:11 Jun 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostWhite Unicorn, on 16 February 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

I often wonder about Mars.  Millions of years ago if it were teaming with life maybe even intelligent in the oceans or on land. It may have been bombarded with meteors which helped it lose its magnetic field during a natural pole shifting.  Terrible climate effects would happen both to the atmosphere and even underground.  Extreme cold and heat, sand storms, dry ice snow spewing at the caps etc.  If this were to happen to earth how much would be left for archeologists to discover millions of years later?

With the sand storms themselves it would cover any signs of surviving structures.
We wouldn't really know until they were uncovered just as the Sphinx laid buried so long under the sand on our own planet. I would imagine ever thing would be gone except under ground for some extremeaphiles maybe?

I'm not into conspiracy theories  but there are such sand storms from the drying, if there were any  real artifical structures  on Mars, very small or large, couldn't  they  be masked by the sands at certain times and  uncovered later by another sand storm later?  

Just a thought.
That's potentially true I suppose.

Unfortunately in the absence of no evidence, all people can do is offer wild speculation.  If a dead planet with no past civilisation or life looks the same as a dead planet had life, water, atmosphere, etc. millions of years ago that all evidence has been wiped away of, then you should apply Occam's Razor and assume it's what it appears to be without adding unnecessary and unevidenced extras to the theory.  If evidence does come through that there was civilisation on Mars in the past, then so be it, it can be discussed and explained then.  Until them it's just wishful thinking.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#104    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Joined:19 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

View Postchopmo, on 16 February 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

Cheers for the photo, handy as usual :P

This is now very close to the idea of fulgurite after a lightning strike as rare as they are, they happen. Don't forget the universe is how old? There is no carbon dating on the item, not even sure if that is possible by us at this stage? sorry if I'm mistaken, so it could be in fact fulgurite and an old piece at that, one that has been through alot of wind and sand activity to wear it down to a smoother surface as it's still got a fair bit of dirt "gripping" to it. Just like in the desert and or a piece of glass in the ocean would smooth the objects down over time.

Hahaha think it's funny for people that bash nasa, Who is exactly putting their hand up to want to be the first person on mars at this time? Hence no manned mission, we are doing the same we did with the moon. Learn as much as possible with what we have then send someone. It's not they are controlling space and saying "NO... NO ONE ELSE CAN EXPLORE SPACE!", other countries are quite free to do the work and get to the same stage and ability to explore mars then they can send someone in cowboy gun-ho! if they want. Seems to me NASA care a fair bit about their staff. Would you send 5 randoms to mars just remember there could be nasty aliens :o OMG!!! so even by the crackpot theories you wouldn't be sending suicide sacrifices to any condition of unknown variables that could happen at this present time.

And on that note where is all the information coming from for the rebuttles? What space program do they run? Come on really? it's actions and comments like that, that make it soooo much harder for every other fringe theorist out there to follow theirs. What is the big deal if it's fake what could it do? There is apparently a majority of people out there just waiting to drop what they are doing and move to mars. DAMN YOU NASA!!! playing with peoples concious like that. Don't like the news don't follow the topic?

If there is such a threat about what they are doing, present an actual case for it plain and simple I do agree there is other things out there we don't know like the existance of ets and what not, but being in our back yard and posing a threat if it is a hoax mission to fool the world, maybe the cause is we just aren't ready to play neighbours yet? What would be so wrong with that, look at the reactions of the general public on the stupidest of news maybe it's us that are the problem and not mature enough to comunicate.

IF it was going to pose a threat there would be next to nothing bar commiting mass exodous globally... really think about it... if they have the ability to do everything everyone says from a stones through away like the moon or mars, they would obviously be far more superior in warfare and technology to get to where they are both would be needed in the theories against the hoax missions, to stop whatever would happen would be like throwing a global tamtrum. Enjoy what you have, if you think the oogie boogies are coming to get you, do so even more and don't waste time either that or document what there is.

You make good points about NASA. Robotics are great but not prepared to explore ALL unexpected finds given any mission.
We all got some great pictures of space and must remember NASA gives them to us.  You'd be crazy to want to be one of the first manned missions without the robots!  

I am one of many members of Planetary Society. I always thought Mars had an atmosphere and water in the distant past and would be a great study and might hold evidence of ancient life forms. I helped fund the first Mars rover and I can't tell you how happy I was that NASA  welcomed the support of a the private organizations in many ways.  Original founding members were very honored that when  they put up the Carl Sagan Memorial they also included our names too.  If it weren't for NASA a little part of me wouldn't be on Mars!

Edited by White Unicorn, 16 February 2013 - 08:31 PM.


#105    bison

bison

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Joined:13 Apr 2011

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 16 February 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

That's potentially true I suppose.

Unfortunately in the absence of no evidence, all people can do is offer wild speculation.  If a dead planet with no past civilisation or life looks the same as a dead planet had life, water, atmosphere, etc. millions of years ago that all evidence has been wiped away of, then you should apply Occam's Razor and assume it's what it appears to be without adding unnecessary and unevidenced extras to the theory.  If evidence does come through that there was civilisation on Mars in the past, then so be it, it can be discussed and explained then.  Until them it's just wishful thinking.
It was Dr. Albert Einstein who said: 'Imagination is more important than knowledge'. It was once considered 'wild speculation' that people could travel to the Moon and back on rockets. If we were to keep alive in our minds the merest *possibility* that there was once a civilization on Mars, it might make us attentive to evidence that would show this to be the case; evidence that we might otherwise overlook in our haste to find a 'natural' explanation for whatever we find.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users