Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

God as a Drug: Rise of American Megachurches

megachurches christianity

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,985 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

American megachurches use stagecraft, sensory pageantry, charismatic leadership and an upbeat, unchallenging vision of Christianity to provide their congregants with a powerful emotional religious experience, according to research from the University of Washington.

"Membership in megachurches is one of the leading ways American Christians worship these days, so, therefore, these churches should be understood," said James Wellman, associate professor of American religion at the University of Washington. "Our study shows that -- contrary to public opinion that tends to pass off the megachurch movement as consumerist religion -- megachurches are doing a pretty effective job for their members. In fact, megachurch members speak eloquently of their spiritual growth."

http://www.scienceda...20819153536.htm

Posted Image

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,011 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

While I can certainly understand the appeal of the come-as-you-are mentality and the inclusion of so many with these churches, I'm afraid of waking up one day to learn that this country is now a theocracy run by these very people.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,050 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 20 August 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

While I can certainly understand the appeal of the come-as-you-are mentality and the inclusion of so many with these churches, I'm afraid of waking up one day to learn that this country is now a theocracy run by these very people.

It's 1/4 of the way there already.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#4    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,332 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 20 August 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

It's 1/4 of the way there already.

Kinda reminds me of the movie Apocalypto. I just wonder which one will play the role of Spanish Conquistadors, though.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,611 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

They got as much right as anybody to gather. We are all just Romans deep down inside looking for a bloody show.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,050 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 20 August 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

Kinda reminds me of the movie Apocalypto. I just wonder which one will play the role of Spanish Conquistadors, though.
I don't know, but one thing is for sure, my family  will be the family that disappears deep into the jungle.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,050 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 20 August 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

They got as much right as anybody to gather. We are all just Romans deep down inside looking for a bloody show.
They do have that right. Unfortunately extremely large groups of people make their own rights regardless of the small minorities. It is the nature of democracy and it's dark side.

Bruce Lee-

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,611 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:24 PM

That is why we have courts.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,050 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 20 August 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

That is why we have courts.
Dosnt matter... A large majority makes the laws that the courts must uphold.

Bruce Lee-

#10    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,611 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

No they don't have to uphold them  and sometimes they don't.  The courts in the US have played an important roll in civil rights. We have come a long way with it and done away with a lot of discrimination through the courts. Which is why we have three branches of government, for checks and balances.

Edited by Darkwind, 20 August 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#11    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,050 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 20 August 2012 - 08:13 PM, said:

No they don't have to uphold them  and sometimes they don't.  The courts in the US have played an important roll in civil rights. We have come a long way with it and done away with a lot of discrimination through the courts. Which is why we have three branches of government, for checks and balances.
I understand but it was the larger public opinion that held the sway. And a continued effort to sway that public opinion. It could go the other way with enough people on board. The minority can have power but only first by gaining support and not being a minority anymore. If enough of America wants a theocracy, they will evenchually have one...... At this point I will no longer be an American.

Bruce Lee-

#12    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,611 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

I think that happen when they put god in pledge.  I have often wondered about where I would go if theocracy went offical. Denmark maybe, if they would have me?

#13    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,050 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 20 August 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

I think that happen when they put god in pledge.  I have often wondered about where I would go if theocracy went offical. Denmark maybe, if they would have me?
Just stay educated and have something to offer, then you can go anywhere. I'm thinking Australia, I really like all the auzies on um. Or some random jungle island population me.

Bruce Lee-

#14    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

• 9,611 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 20 August 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

Just stay educated and have something to offer, then you can go anywhere. I'm thinking Australia, I really like all the auzies on um. Or some random jungle island population me.

Too late, I am too messed up. I guess I'll have to stand my ground. :gun:

#15    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,050 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 20 August 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

Too late, I am too messed up. I guess I'll have to stand my ground. :gun:
Hehe well the enlightened UMer seeker79 is a member of the NRA and a staunch libertarian. So if I can't get out I might join you.

Bruce Lee-

Also tagged with megachurches, christianity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users