Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Catholic exorcists call for 'Holyween'

Still Waters

Halloween is a dangerous celebration that can tempt people into Satanism and should be replaced by a rival festival called "Holyween" based on the adoration of Christian saints, Catholic exorcist priests have said.

As families in Britain prepare to hollow out pumpkins and dress up as ghouls and ghosts, the Catholic Church in Italy warned that celebrating Halloween can tempt people into worship of the occult.

http://www.telegraph...-Halloween.html

Considering it's a pagan holiday to begin with, they can deal with it. :devil: Bring on zee darkness and all things that go bump in the night. :sk

• Like 6

"Holyween" is celebrated on Nov 1st. The day of "All Souls". Halloween is simply the day before when the spiritual world is supposedly, closest to the corporeal world. No big deal. It is as Pagan as Saturnalia celebrations (aka Christmas) is pagan in origin.

• Like 3

I call Halloween Junkfest. The one day a year my family and I gorge ourselves like a tick off of junk food. If I remember correctly aren't Christmas and Halloween pagan holidays?

• Like 3

I call Halloween Junkfest. The one day a year my family and I gorge ourselves like a tick off of junk food. If I remember correctly aren't Christmas and Halloween pagan holidays?

Pretty much all christian holidays started as pagan ones. They're not one for originality.

• Like 5

Pfff. Religious Catholics might be up for "Holyween." But the rest of us won't be.

Bring on the candy!

• Like 1

This idea of making "Holyween" is well-deserving a of a solid Picard Facepalm. Unfortunately it won't add anything to the discussion, so let's just say I think it's ridiculous (and being Australian, I don't even care about Halloween that much either).

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 1

One of my Japanese workmates read about this, and was asking me what the punchline was. It took me a good five minutes to convince her that there were some people in the U.S. who actually believe that sort of nonsense.

• Like 2

Sad things some people might actually care about it. Geez, if it's not the government trying to control you it's, the religious lot. I see nothing wrong (nor ever have) with kids trick-r-treating. My family and I just got tired of the terrible candy our kids got, so we turned halloween into a day/night of gluttony. The churches around where I live do so something called trunk-r-treat in which they give out candy and pamphlets to the kids. A well deserved...

bth_picard-facepalm.jpg

• Like 2

Our Catholic Church puts on a "Halloween" party for the kiddies each year... It's a great night out !

• Like 2

Our Catholic Church puts on a "Halloween" party for the kiddies each year... It's a great night out !

Yeah, that's more like it. Seriously though I think Halloween has a much more fundamental and soul inspiring purpose. Kiddies the world over suffer fears about those things that go "bump" in the night. Having a day when they actually dress up as what they may have feared and collect candy and treats is good for their little souls and relegates stupid fears into the nether nether where they belong.

I don't agree that it turns people to the occult, the things that do that exist all year round.

• Like 2

Halloween is a dangerous celebration that can tempt people into Satanism and should be replaced by a rival festival called "Holyween" based on the adoration of Christian saints, Catholic exorcist priests have said.

As families in Britain prepare to hollow out pumpkins and dress up as ghouls and ghosts, the Catholic Church in Italy warned that celebrating Halloween can tempt people into worship of the occult.

http://www.telegraph...-Halloween.html

So their plan is to get people to stop worshiping other dead things and begin worshiping their dead things. Make sense.

• Like 6

I do Samhain, which is third harvest. We build a big fire, sometimes with a Wickerman. Say goodbye to those who has passed on during the year. Drink a lot of mead, bang our drums and try not to fall in the fire. Somewhere along the line the Church took a harvest fire festival and tried to turn it into something else and ended up with Halloween. They have only themselves to blame for that one.

• Like 6

This reminds me of a group here in the states that object to the word "Hello" because it contains "Hell"... They answer the phone saying "Heaveno"...

Seriously... You can't make this stuff up...

• Like 4

GMG

I do Samhain, which is third harvest. We build a big fire, sometimes with a Wickerman. Say goodbye to those who has passed on during the year. Drink a lot of mead, bang our drums and try not to fall in the fire. Somewhere along the line the Church took a harvest fire festival and tried to turn it into something else and ended up with Halloween. They have only themselves to blame for that one.

In the United States, it was the Irish (beginning with the Famine) and the Scots (the displaced crofters) who brought Celtic ideas with them when they emigrated to the US in the 19th Century. The Irish were predominantly Catholic, but the Scots weren't, I don't think.

Those ideas got mixed with more "puritanical" American white bread ideas, surely not Catholic dominated, to produce a Lord-of-misrule, play-at-being-evil, brightly colored, laugh-at-the-occult American holiday. That style may have been exported as America turned to global imperial ambitions in the Twentieth Century, displacing the United Kingdom in its role. The style met with whatever other people were doing for the harvest (at least in the Northern Hemisphere... it is interesting that Australia has been relatively untouched, maybe by being 6 months, or 180 degrees, out of phase with the sense of the underlying harvest motif).

For a look at the American mutt, as of 1914, a century ago, after the Celtic strands had been assimilated into the New World tapestry, here's an interesting article,

http://uncertaintist.wordpress.com/2014/10/23/practical-magic-on-main-street-halloween-1914/

In the early Twentieth Century, a lot of Europeans and Americans did explore the occult, under one rubric or another, even though they professed a traditional Christian religion, or thought of themselves as culturally Christian. The article points out that at least one traditional occult practice was blatantly salted in with the fun-mocking imitation of traditional Celtic practices. It probably produced visionary experience on a wholesale scale, mostly among women.

Finally, it is pointless to ask "whose holiday is it?" Of course it is not Christian in origin, it is the common heritage of humankind to undertsand that there is more to life than immediately meets the eye, and that bringing in the harvest (so that there is some lively possibility of surviving the winter and seeing the spring next year) is a great time to have a cold one.

Besides, I would have thought everyday was Hallowe'en for a professional exorcist. Meh. Ooops, Holyween.

• Like 3

This reminds me of a group here in the states that object to the word "Hello" because it contains "Hell"... They answer the phone saying "Heaveno"...

Seriously... You can't make this stuff up...

Well, you could make it up, but some crazy religious group would just end up appropriating it anyway...

• Like 2

This idea of making "Holyween" is well-deserving a of a solid Picard Facepalm.

Annnnnnd, here ya go!

iWKad22.jpg

One of my Japanese workmates read about this, and was asking me what the punchline was. It took me a good five minutes to convince her that there were some people in the U.S. who actually believe that sort of nonsense.

Yeah, that gets me. I have seen it here and there. Interesting although, I never saw this fear of Halloween until the last ten years or so. Never saw this growing up. One friend and neighbor told me she hated the holiday and does feel that way. But I think shes a great mom, She still lets her go trick or treating, but she dresses them up in outfits like princesses and pirates and thinkgs that don't have a scary connotation to it.

So their plan is to get people to stop worshiping other dead things and begin worshiping their dead things. Make sense.

Pretty much how I feel about some religious who make fun of believers of ghosts. Like the time I came across a site that linked a thread from here about a haunted hospital on the base I was on and she was on now. She goes on about talking about God and Jesus, and the holy ghost and not seen things, but mocks the website that has people talking about things that they honestly seen.

Your activity sounds like something I would love to participate in.

I find this a bit odd. To my understanding, All Hallows Eve is already a vigil and fasting in preparation for All Saints Day, and that's followed up by feasting for the souls in purgatory- how much more holy can that get?

• Like 2

I find this a bit odd. To my understanding, All Hallows Eve is already a vigil and fasting in preparation for All Saints Day, and that's followed up by feasting for the souls in purgatory- how much more holy can that get?

hey, that's right! my family actually did the vigil a few times when i was a kid.

and then confused people by talking about how all souls day was coming up.

• Like 1

Halloween is for acceptably sating one's inner demons much as Mardi Gras and

New Year's Eve occasion surfeit as motivation for overcoming excessiveness.

The only problem with any of it is with those whom are so extreme as to pose a

danger to themselves and/or others.