Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Malta Cave and missing Children.

Columbo

VALETTA, MALTA

Functions: Unknown

Levels: Unknown

Tunnels to: Unknown

Notes: Tradition holds that before the British govt. sealed up several tunnels, one could walk from one end of Malta to the other underground. One of the labyrinths, discovered by excavators, is the Hypogeum of Sal Saflini [or Saflienti!?], in which excavators discovered the bones of over 33,000 people who had been sacrificed by an ancient pagan neolithic cult. National Geographic, Aug. 1940 issue, told of several school children who had disappeared without a trace in the Hypogeum.

British embassy worker Miss Lois Jessup convinced a guide to allow her to explore a 3-ft. square "burial chamber" next to the floor of the lowest room in the last [3rd] sub-level of the catacombs. He reluctantly agreed and she crawled through the passage until emerging on a cavern ledge overlooking a deep chasm. In total shock she saw a procession of TALL humanoids with white hair covering their bodies walking along another ledge about 50 feet down on the opposite wall of the chasm.

Sensing her they collectively lifted their palms in her direction at which a strong "wind" began to blow through the cavern and something big, "slippery and wet" moved past her before she left in terror to the lower room, where the guide gave her a "knowing" look. Later she returned after the 30 school children and their teacher had disappeared in the same passage that she had explored, only to find a new guide who denied any knowledge of the former guides' employment there.

She heard reports however that after the last child had passed through the "burial chamber" and out onto the ledge, a "cave-in" collapsed the burial chamber and the rope connecting them to the lower chamber was later found to be "cut clean". Grieving Mothers of several of the children swore that for a week or more following the disappearance they could hear their children crying and screaming "as if from underground". Other sources state that an underground connection exists or did exist between Malta and reaches hundreds of miles and intersects the catacombs below the hill Vaticanus in Rome.

source: THE REALITY OF THE CAVERN WORLD, by Riley Crabb; Commander X; NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, Aug. 1940

• Like 1

VALETTA, MALTA

Functions: Unknown

Levels: Unknown

Tunnels to: Unknown

Notes: Tradition holds that before the British govt. sealed up several tunnels, one could walk from one end of Malta to the other underground. One of the labyrinths, discovered by excavators, is the Hypogeum of Sal Saflini [or Saflienti!?], in which excavators discovered the bones of over 33,000 people who had been sacrificed by an ancient pagan neolithic cult. National Geographic, Aug. 1940 issue, told of several school children who had disappeared without a trace in the Hypogeum.

British embassy worker Miss Lois Jessup convinced a guide to allow her to explore a 3-ft. square "burial chamber" next to the floor of the lowest room in the last [3rd] sub-level of the catacombs. He reluctantly agreed and she crawled through the passage until emerging on a cavern ledge overlooking a deep chasm. In total shock she saw a procession of TALL humanoids with white hair covering their bodies walking along another ledge about 50 feet down on the opposite wall of the chasm.

Sensing her they collectively lifted their palms in her direction at which a strong "wind" began to blow through the cavern and something big, "slippery and wet" moved past her before she left in terror to the lower room, where the guide gave her a "knowing" look. Later she returned after the 30 school children and their teacher had disappeared in the same passage that she had explored, only to find a new guide who denied any knowledge of the former guides' employment there.

She heard reports however that after the last child had passed through the "burial chamber" and out onto the ledge, a "cave-in" collapsed the burial chamber and the rope connecting them to the lower chamber was later found to be "cut clean". Grieving Mothers of several of the children swore that for a week or more following the disappearance they could hear their children crying and screaming "as if from underground". Other sources state that an underground connection exists or did exist between Malta and reaches hundreds of miles and intersects the catacombs below the hill Vaticanus in Rome.

source: THE REALITY OF THE CAVERN WORLD, by Riley Crabb; Commander X; NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC magazine, Aug. 1940

Holy crap! That is some seriously freaky stuff. I had never even heard of such a thing, wow, I'm completely amazed. That's one hell of a story, good job Please-Forgive-Me, good job indeed.

• Like 1

It is a topic I have been studying for a while as I am very interested in the idea of underground, beings and groups for lack of a better word. The thing about this case is it is well documented in the National Geographic, not the National Enquirer or anything, very true story, makes you rethink your understanding of the earth we live on.

• Like 2

That is an awesome story, it reminds me of the books by Jeff Long "the descent" and "deeper" really good books.

I've been wanting to go to Malta for a while now, now I have one more reason.

• Like 1

That is an awesome story, it reminds me of the books by Jeff Long "the descent" and "deeper" really good books.

I've been wanting to go to Malta for a while now, now I have one more reason.

Be careful my friend, be very careful....

Be careful my friend, be very careful....

Please-Forgive-Me, have you ever read up on the "Dulce Base" and "Nightmare Hall"? I'm almost wondering...if there's any truth to the under-earth environment / bases / colonies, would they connect to the Malta story you wrote about? Here's a link for you, if you're interested.

http://www.thewatcherfiles.com/dulce/chapter1.htm

• Like 1

Please-Forgive-Me, have you ever read up on the "Dulce Base" and "Nightmare Hall"? I'm almost wondering...if there's any truth to the under-earth environment / bases / colonies, would they connect to the Malta story you wrote about? Here's a link for you, if you're interested.

http://www.thewatcherfiles.com/dulce/chapter1.htm

Thank you for the link, I am starting to read the book now becasue I have never heard of it before, so it will take me a while! It is a fascinating topic when you take the time to consider it.

You kinda have to wonder about a dude who calls himself, "Commander X". Of course then, you kinda gotta wonder about somebody who calls himself "kiddglock" too, I guess.

I've been doing some homework on the Malta story, apparently there are other accounts in various places of similar creatures being seen by, and even attacking mine workers it seems. Creepier and creepier, eh? :o

National Geographic didn't publish the story about the 25 ft tall beings, that was actually Boarderland Science, a different publication.

Ooooooo. Interesting story. Thanks for sharing. <3

It'll be cool to have the story appear on Destination Truth. ^_^

I've been doing some homework on the Malta story, apparently there are other accounts in various places of similar creatures being seen by, and even attacking mine workers it seems. Creepier and creepier, eh? :o

Sounds sort of like Tommyknockers to me, only the Knockers are supposed to be small, and Ive never heard much about them attacking people, they are supposed to be helpful

Well there are some possible explanations for the tall people seen in the caves.

1. They are a trogladite species..... very un-likely, would be hard for them to sustain any kind of popualtion underground.

2. There were creepy looking people, but there were an obscure religous sect/cult that used the caves, maybe even abuducting children to brain wash them, eat them, whatever.

3. Thre were no creepy people they were made up or a halucination.

The wind is easily explained. In many caves systems there are strange air flows thatcarry sounds, smells ect long ways from unexpected directions.

The missing children? They got lost, they fell down a chasm, there was a rockfall. Caves andcatacombs are dangerous, confusing places.

National Geographic didn't publish the story about the 25 ft tall beings, that was actually Boarderland Science, a different publication.

I do not know what you are referring to about the 25 foot tall beings, but as far as the malta tunnles and the missing children, National Geographic absolutly did publish it, it was in 1940, you can check their archives.

Cool idea for the credentials set up, I will start tying up mine right away!

Edited by Please-Forgive-Me

I do not know what you are referring to about the 25 foot tall beings, but as far as the malta tunnles and the missing children, National Geographic absolutly did publish it, it was in 1940, you can check their archives.

I hate to be a stickler, but if you're going to make the claim, you need to provide the link yourself to back it up.

Its an interesting story and im certain there is a logical explanation for it.

Could you pls provide a link as to where your information came from?

It's a legit National Geo story, as far as I can tell, it's the real deal. Google "Lois Jessup national geographic", tons of sites pop up. It also appears that she, if it's the same Lois Jessup, at one time was a colleague of Fmr. President Truman. Further it appears that the issue is referenced as National Geographic - August, 1940, Vol. 78, No. 2.

Edited by SpiderCyde
  • Like 1

It's a legit National Geo story, as far as I can tell, it's the real deal. Google "Lois Jessup national geographic", tons of sites pop up. It also appears that she, if it's the same Lois Jessup, at one time was a colleague of Fmr. President Truman. Further it appears that the issue is referenced as National Geographic - August, 1940, Vol. 78, No. 2.

Can we get a link to the actual Nat Geo article? I looked, and there is none that I can find. There WAS a Nat Geo article on the CAVES, yes, but NOT about the story of giant beings, missing kids (a whole class as reported) or the experience of the woman mentioned. The giants and missing kids and magic wind was reported in Boarderland Science, another magazine I believe. That I DID manage to extract from the web.

"Many subterranean passageways, including ancient catacombs, now are a part of the island's fortifications and defense system. Supplies are kept in many tunnels; others are bomb shelters. Beneath Valletta some of the underground areas served as homes for the poor. Prehistoric men built temples and chambers in these vaults. In a pit beside one sacrificial altar lie thousands of human skeletons. Years ago one could walk underground from one end of Malta to the other. The Government closed the entrances to these tunnels after school children and their teachers became lost in the labyrinth while on a study tour and never returned."

OK, so this is a quote from the actual article.

No mention of giants, etc. Kids lost in the tunnels, never returned, back in the what?...30's?

I kind of doubt we will find a link to the actual article, at least from a solid source.

I suspect the stories of giants may very well have been in the NatGeo article. However, the wiki page made me wonder if that aspect of the article wasn't reported on in a "mysterious accounts" context within the article about the caves. I think the context is important and I don't think it would be unbelievable for NatGeo to include local legends/myths ect, about a subject reported on in their publication.

I kind of doubt we will find a link to the actual article, at least from a solid source.

I suspect the stories of giants may very well have been in the NatGeo article. However, the wiki page made me wonder if that aspect of the article wasn't reported on in a "mysterious accounts" context within the article about the caves. I think the context is important and I don't think it would be unbelievable for NatGeo to include local legends/myths ect, about a subject reported on in their publication.

I actually saw the giants and the expanded story elsewhere, no mention in teh Nat Geo article or even a mention from a second hand source that it was IN the Nat Geo. The wiki page sources the exact page number of the Nat Geo article.