Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Jesus a Buddhist monk?

Big Bad Voodoo

Hello Umers,

In the past when Lama dies Buddhist monks looks for the sign in the sky for reincarnation of Lama. When they find reincanated Lama then they took that child and teach him -at ages where he could be thought properly.

Were Biblical Magi buddhists monks? So is Jesus raised in India?

We dont know much about Jesus early life except gnostic documents.

Nicolaj Notovič Russian Cossack officer ,spy and journalist, studied Buddhism in Tibet and wrote book: Unknown life of Jesus.

In his book he said that Buddist at Tibet wrote that "divine child is born in Judea-Isa .Isa came to India at age 14 and study Buddhism and leave at age of 29 and set on the way to Jerusalem. Where he teach people and later was killed." In short.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Notovitch

As I heard Buddha also healed people,walk on water,feed mass of hungry people...so...

Also there are legends among people in India about Jusasa who was sheperd and healer.(as I heard)(?)

Edited by Melo
  • Like 1

You do realize, Melo, that this theory entirely refutes the gospel message? It is Christ's sacrificial death and resurrection that saves us from eternal damnation when we accept that He was who He said He was. If He did not die on the cross, which is the same message Muslims teach, then Christianity would all be based on a lie. With the exception of John, every other disciple of Jesus died horrible deaths spreading the message that the messiah had come. Would you die a very painful and humiliating death for something you knew was a lie? Perhaps Jesus was in India during His youth, it's possible.

This has been something that's come up a lot over the years, especially once people moved on from viewing Indian and Chinese belief systems as "heathen gibberish".

Assuming that you accept Jesus was a real person (which as a Catholic I do) then you can either accept that he is as the Gospels say he was (Son of God) and thus his philosophies have a divine or at least a semi-divine origin or that he was as human as you and I and his philosophies were born of a grand world tour sometime between the ages of 6 and 30. There is a third ground (divine but picked up philosophies after going walkabout) which while obviously straddling both seems in my mind to devalue his divinity somewhat while playing up his humanity. Now that's not a bad thing, and the idea of Jesus studying with Lamas and Confuciusians and so on is intriguing and probably exactly what he was doing in the undocumented years of his life (or at least part of those undocumented years, given that he was called a carpenter which meant he must have piled that trade for at least some years).

But it misses the point in the same way the Mormon belief that he died, got better and then went to America does. He died, he resurrected and then went to Heaven. The death and Resurrection are rather important parts of the theology/mythology of Christ, as is his going to Heaven afterwards.

Edited by Wearer of Hats

You do realize, Melo, that this theory entirely refutes the gospel message? It is Christ's sacrificial death and resurrection that saves us from eternal damnation when we accept that He was who He said He was. If He did not die on the cross, which is the same message Muslims teach, then Christianity would all be based on a lie. With the exception of John, every other disciple of Jesus died horrible deaths spreading the message that the messiah had come. Would you die a very painful and humiliating death for something you knew was a lie? Perhaps Jesus was in India during His youth, it's possible.

What Muslim teach that He didnt died on cross?

Please do tell about deaths of disciples?

If he died or didnt die on cross is not crucial to the thread. I stated that because of going debate and I tried to connect Jesus and India.

Maybe he is russurected and went in India to found Church of India...Some connect Heaven and Himalayas.

Edited by Melo

Its interesting that Buddha also walked on water and even split water so he can walk on dry land.

I wonder what Pope , chatolic church in general thinks on people like Buddha?

Was he a saint too?

Buddha done some miracles as Jesus so who can say which teachings are we should look upon?

Anyway, interesting thing Nikolaj wrote.

Hmm I saw this book in a nearby book store, "Jesus lived in India: The unknown life of Jesus Christ". I think it's the same book you describe OP. I didn't read it, so I cant make any assessments. But I always found interesting the Christ = kṛṣṇa (Krishna) similarity :)

Edited by SolarPlexus

This has been something that's come up a lot over the years, especially once people moved on from viewing Indian and Chinese belief systems as "heathen gibberish".

Assuming that you accept Jesus was a real person (which as a Catholic I do) then you can either accept that he is as the Gospels say he was (Son of God) and thus his philosophies have a divine or at least a semi-divine origin or that he was as human as you and I and his philosophies were born of a grand world tour sometime between the ages of 6 and 30. There is a third ground (divine but picked up philosophies after going walkabout) which while obviously straddling both seems in my mind to devalue his divinity somewhat while playing up his humanity. Now that's not a bad thing, and the idea of Jesus studying with Lamas and Confuciusians and so on is intriguing and probably exactly what he was doing in the undocumented years of his life (or at least part of those undocumented years, given that he was called a carpenter which meant he must have piled that trade for at least some years).

But it misses the point in the same way the Mormon belief that he died, got better and then went to America does. He died, he resurrected and then went to Heaven. The death and Resurrection are rather important parts of the theology/mythology of Christ, as is his going to Heaven afterwards.

Wearer of Hat there are many gospels besides the canonic ones that have been dismissed and burned simply because they conflicted with the Pauline tradition and ^perception. Even the gospel of James (albeit a saint in the catholic imagery system) allegedly the brother of JC was dismissed because he condemned the implication of gentils in the religion. JC was talking to Hebrews and created a new way of thinking for Hebrews. Anything else was manipulation.

Hello Umers,

In the past when Lama dies Buddhist monks looks for the sign in the sky for reincarnation of Lama. When they find reincanated Lama then they took that child and teach him -at ages where he could be thought properly.

Nicolaj Notovič Russian Cossack officer ,spy and journalist, studied Buddhism in Tibet and wrote book: Unknown life of Jesus.

In his book he said that Buddist at Tibet wrote that "divine child is born in Judea-Isa .Isa came to India at age 14 and study Buddhism and leave at age of 29 and set on the way to Jerusalem. Where he teach people and later was killed." In short.

As I heard Buddha also healed people,walk on water,feed mass of hungry people...so...

Also there are legends among people in India about Jusasa who was sheperd and healer.(as I heard)(?)

Do buddhist monks today look outside people of their own ethnicity when seeking to find the reincarnation of the lama?

If not (and they don't) then why would we presume they looked outside people of their own ethnicity just once, some 2,000 years ago?

The trope of "foreign Jesus" has sprung up as Christianity spread across the world. This does not mean that Jesus (if such a figure existed) went on a world tour learning various religions and philosophies. It only means that the trope is pervasive and many different peoples readily identify with it.

I have not researched the various legends about a Jesus figure in cultures other than the Hebrew, but I'm willing to bet we would find they either start around the time of the introduction of Christianity to that culture, or take on a Christian slant at that time. Nonetheless, the "wise teacher" (or "divine child") is a common theme in virtually all mythologies. Too much has been made of this from the perspective of one religion attempting to validate their particular mythology by linking some of the various stories told.

Edited by Leonardo

Wearer of Hat there are many gospels besides the canonic ones that have been dismissed and burned simply because they conflicted with the Pauline tradition and ^perception. Even the gospel of James (albeit a saint in the catholic imagery system) allegedly the brother of JC was dismissed because he condemned the implication of gentils in the religion. JC was talking to Hebrews and created a new way of thinking for Hebrews. Anything else was manipulation.

I can't think of any of the Apophrica that denies the divinity of Christ though. One was redacted because they didn't like the stories of infant Jesus being a brat for example.

I can't think of any of the Apophrica that denies the divinity of Christ though. One was redacted because they didn't like the stories of infant Jesus being a brat for example.

Actually if you reread history, divinity of JC was established after the council of Nicea in 325 CE.

• Like 1

What Muslim teach that He didnt died on cross?

Please do tell about deaths of disciples?

If he died or didnt die on cross is not crucial to the thread. I stated that because of going debate and I tried to connect Jesus and India.

Maybe he is russurected and went in India to found Church of India...Some connect Heaven and Himalayas.

In Islam the tradition about Jesus (Issa)is that he survived the cross and was taken to heaven alive. He is expected to return in the last days to Damascus. He will reject Christians and say that he never told anyone he was the son of god. He will pray "after" Mahdi and will kill all Jews and Christians who will not convert to the true religion of Islam.

The disciples all died as martyrs except John:

http://poptop.hypermart.net/howdied.html

Actually if you reread history, divinity of JC was established after the council of Nicea in 325 CE.

Nicea was to decide the nature of Christ's divinity and his humanity, they chose the Gospels that played that up, while ignored the ones that were more humanocentric - but to my knowledge none of them in anyway said he wasn't the Son of God. Nicea also enshrined belief systems about that divinity.

No way was Jesus a Buddhist or Christianity would not have been "born",he was a good guy trying to guide people on the right path,and to stop them being evil..He is mentioned 5 times in the Quran,so they knew about him.A lot of these "miracles" can be accounted for without thinking that they are supernatural..or above human achievement..There is no mention anywhere that He went to India,as the scribes would have jumped on it,as I guess they were very much like todays "papparatzi",like following a famous person or celebrity about..Keep the faith of whichever God you support....

Nicea was to decide the nature of Christ's divinity and his humanity, they chose the Gospels that played that up, while ignored the ones that were more humanocentric - but to my knowledge none of them in anyway said he wasn't the Son of God. Nicea also enshrined belief systems about that divinity.

Apparently we don'r read the same books as our respective sources

In Islam the tradition about Jesus (Issa)is that he survived the cross and was taken to heaven alive. He is expected to return in the last days to Damascus. He will reject Christians and say that he never told anyone he was the son of god. He will pray "after" Mahdi and will kill all Jews and Christians who will not convert to the true religion of Islam.

The disciples all died as martyrs except John:

http://poptop.hypermart.net/howdied.html

In the Quoran version I've read, Simon of Cyrene died on the cross in lieu of JC

No way was Jesus a Buddhist or Christianity would not have been "born",he was a good guy trying to guide people on the right path,and to stop them being evil..He is mentioned 5 times in the Quran,so they knew about him.A lot of these "miracles" can be accounted for without thinking that they are supernatural..or above human achievement..There is no mention anywhere that He went to India,as the scribes would have jumped on it,as I guess they were very much like todays "papparatzi",like following a famous person or celebrity about..Keep the faith of whichever God you support....

I guess in the OP, the question was: Did JC go to India during the lost years. In fact he didn't have to go to India only to Alexandria (which is heck of a lot closer) since many mystery schools were open there.

I've researched this extensively and Issa as Jesus was a hoax. I can provide sources later but wanted to say this now. In a few hours ill return with some writing and sources if this thread is still kicking.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Hello Umers,

Personnally, I don't think Jesus went anywhere, except possibly Egypt as a baby. Nazareth was refered to as his Hometown, and if you are traveling the world since you are a baby, you don't have a hometown.

Hometown was given as the excuse that he could not perform as many miracles in Nazareth, as too many people knew him well and did not have faith that the man they knew so well could "suddenly" perform miracles. No... Jesus lived in Israel his entire adult life.

I think the Magi were actually Persians, and probably Zoroastrianists. The followers of Zoroastrianism are refered to as Magi even today.

Almost all gnostic documents were written more then 200 years after Jesus's death. Where as the synoptic gospols were all written within 50 years of Jesus's death. Which is the better source material, do you suppose?

Budda performed miracles, perhaps, but so did the Egyptian sorcerers that confronted Moses when he went to beg for the Israelites to be freed. The Bible mentions a sorcerer, Simon, who controlled a lot of Sameria. So, magical ability was not confined to Budda and Jesus.

• Like 1

Apparently we don'r read the same books as our respective sources

More likely is the fact that I've misunderstood what I read :)

FWIW I read about Nicea during a Certificate degree on Theology, so there could have been a bias in the text...

Heck, why not? After all, Buddha was canonised by the Orthodox Church as St. Josaphat. Fair's fair, and all that.

Hello Umers,

I believe that Jesus of Nazareth was indeed a Hindu and Buddhist yogi/monk, yes. I find that the evidence is compelling, and points towards such a truth. The fact that Jesus very clearly quotes Buddha and the Hindu writings multiple times, both in the canonic and non-canonic gospels, is one of the most obvious indications that Jesus was well-learned in the Eastern philosophies.

I believe that Jesus of Nazareth was indeed a Hindu and Buddhist yogi/monk, yes. I find that the evidence is compelling, and points towards such a truth. The fact that Jesus very clearly quotes Buddha and the Hindu writings multiple times, both in the canonic and non-canonic gospels, is one of the most obvious indications that Jesus was well-learned in the Eastern philosophies.

Good philosophy doesn't mean copied philosophy.

Could you expand because I may be missing something important. I was in the camp that Jesus studied Buddhism and the likes until I seriously researched it and found myself in doubt.