Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Unreported Serial Killers On The Loose

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

I have heard others make accusations of serial killers, solo, couples, and groups, who are on the loose but for some reason the authorities ignore the links or know them but hide them from the general public. Is this true?

#2    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

i always wanted to make serial killer trading cards (but i didnt want to give them reward for killing someone so)

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#3    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,818 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

My guess? NO
Sounds like an urban legend conspiracy theory to me.

#4    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,943 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

My first thought is that the 'authorities' could keep a serial killer story quiet at first, to stop spreading fear in a community, increase the chances of capture and remove the killers 'buzz' from any media attention. This would be similar to what you mention but probably a different reasoning behind it.

My second thought would be the opposite, if a serial killing spree is suspected the more who know the better, for safety and increasing the chances of capture. This leads me to take a similar stance to QuiteContrary on this one.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

View Postnotoverrated, on 02 September 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

i always wanted to make serial killer trading cards (but i didnt want to give them reward for killing someone so)

http://www.satanssid...n/home/home.cfm

He makes shirts dolls clocks boxer shorts ,of every famous serial killer you can think of .I used to buy full sets for my ex.
Like ed gein boxers, tee shirt,and wall clock .
He even has Albert fish .
Check out the stuff he collects personally . I think there's a page for it .

Miss me?

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,305 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostChasingtherabbit, on 02 September 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

I have heard others make accusations of serial killers, solo, couples, and groups, who are on the loose but for some reason the authorities ignore the links or know them but hide them from the general public. Is this true?
Going solely by what I've seen on TV from shows like Criminal Minds, the authorities don't tell the press/the public everything they know about potential/full blown Serial Killers because of copy-cats, false reports and they like to catch them out by pulling a "Columbo" and getting them to reveal something that only the killer could have known.
So they do keep quiet on serial killers, but only in order to catch serial killers.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

It stands to reason,there are instances where there are multiple patterned killings,that may even span states ,that the public isn't privey to,because its not a localized cluster ,but the FBI has connected the dots,and local law enforcement in each area,is aware,but the public has no knowledge .

Miss me?

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:14 AM

The individual murders are usually reported in the news but if they are going on a killing spree across different states the connection may not be talked about.  At least not in the beginning until they get a composite of how the perpertrator might look.  Then they might want to run that picture everywhere to find out if someone recognizes them.

#9    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,481 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:18 AM

View PostHilander, on 03 September 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

The individual murders are usually reported in the news but if they are going on a killing spree across different states the connection may not be talked about.  At least not in the beginning until they get a composite of how the perpertrator might look.  Then they might want to run that picture everywhere to find out if someone recognizes them.

Exactly, how the perpretrator 'might look'. Hopefully, it's fairly accurate because people might notice, if someone they know, drastically changes their appearance. If it's inaccurate however, the bad guy still gets to go about his business and the police are chasing a red herring.

Interview with a police sketch artist:

http://www.dailymail...s-suspects.html

Edited by Likely Guy, 03 September 2012 - 03:23 AM.

#10    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,481 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

Sorry, I forgot to address the OP.

While I do agree with the points made with Jr. Chubb and Wearer of Hats, there are cases where investigators simply fail to connect the dots (the reasons though, are probably many).

The two that immediately come to mind for me are the "Missing Women's Case" here, in British Columbia. Robert Pickton was convicted in 6 cases, but he was certainly responsible for many more. 49 missing women in total, in the Greater Vancouver area, over about 20 years.

The other case is closer to home the "Highway of Tears" here in central B.C. So far, no suspect has been identified. There are, at least 18 official victims.

Here's a site that mentions both cases, as well as a failure to 'connect the dots'. (scroll down until you get to "Statement issued by Assistant Commissioner Craig Callens":

http://www.highwayof...anuary_27,_2012

#11    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,818 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:58 AM

View PostChasingtherabbit, on 02 September 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

Imo, Since this was posted under "Urban Legends" and not "True Crime", I assumed the OP was referring to some conspiratorial, untoward behavior of law enforcement to "ignore" links and "hide" killers from the public.

Not when law enforcement withholds specific evidence (but not the murders) for reasons to help catch the killer.

To let some killers run around, ignored, on purpose and orchestrated/conspired by multiple law enforcement personnel doesn't happen and belongs in a discussion under "Urban Legends".

#12    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 03 September 2012 - 04:58 AM, said:

Imo, Since this was posted under "Urban Legends" and not "True Crime", I assumed the OP was referring to some conspiratorial, untoward behavior of law enforcement to "ignore" links and "hide" killers from the public.

Not when law enforcement withholds specific evidence (but not the murders) for reasons to help catch the killer.

To let some killers run around, ignored, on purpose and orchestrated/conspired by multiple law enforcement personnel doesn't happen and belongs in a discussion under "Urban Legends".

I was not referring to a conspiratorial, untoward behavior of law enforcement per se just that for some reason law enforcement chooses not to disclose to the public which might involve ignoring and hiding links but nothing like you have described as a conspiracy. Still if someone believes this I would not mind hearing their theory.

Law enforcement withholding specific evidence for reasons to help catch the killer is exactly the angle I was going for.

I chose urban legends over the true crime forum because people here are usually more imaginative, would allow for more theories to be discussed, and there would be less posts attempting to pigeon hole everyone else into one unified theory which makes for poor discussion.

Also it is an urban legend I have heard some "psychics" hint at this including some who visit these forums. Now I don't really believe them but they might have a point and it is disturbing to think that serial killers are out there. That uncertainty definitely puts this topic here.

Edited by Chasingtherabbit, 03 September 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#13    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

View Postnotoverrated, on 02 September 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

They exist already, apparently pretty popular too.

Posted Image

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#14    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,818 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

View PostChasingtherabbit, on 03 September 2012 - 06:49 AM, said:

I was not referring to a conspiratorial, untoward behavior of law enforcement per se just that for some reason law enforcement chooses not to disclose to the public which might involve ignoring and hiding links but nothing like you have described as a conspiracy. Still if someone believes this I would not mind hearing their theory.

Law enforcement withholding specific evidence for reasons to help catch the killer is exactly the angle I was going for.

I chose urban legends over the true crime forum because people here are usually more imaginative, would allow for more theories to be discussed, and there would be less posts attempting to pigeon hole everyone else into one unified theory which makes for poor discussion.

Also it is an urban legend I have heard some "psychics" hint at this including some who visit these forums. Now I don't really believe them but they might have a point and it is disturbing to think that serial killers are out there. That uncertainty definitely puts this topic here.

Thanks. I could only assume another possibility without more information. My bad.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 03 September 2012 - 07:08 AM.

#15    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

On television and the silver screen, serial killers are usually white males and dysfunctional loners who really want to get caught. Or, they’re super-intelligent monsters who frustrate law enforcement at every turn.
According to a new publication from our National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime—entitled Serial Murder: Multi-Disciplinary Perspectives for Investigators—serial killers are much different in real life.
The report contains the collective insights of a group of experts from the law enforcement, academic, and mental health professions who took part in a symposium on serial murder. The symposium’s focus was actually two-fold: to bridge the gap between fact and fiction and to build up our collective body of knowledge to generate a more effective investigative response.
Here’s why that is so important: Serial killings are rare, probably less than one percent of all murders. They do, however, receive a lot of attention in the news and on screen—and much of the information out there is wrong. Yet, the public, the media, and even sometimes law enforcement professionals who have limited experience with serial murder, often believe what they read and hear. And this misinformation can hinder investigations.
According to the experts, there is no common thread tying serial killers together—no single cause, no single motive, no single profile. But there are some common "best practices" that they recommend for investigations:
For example:
  • Strong leadership throughout the chain of command that can withstand the external pressure sometimes brought to bear on serial murder cases by politicians, the victims' families, and the media;
  • Task forces that bring together agencies from the different jurisdictions to effectively combine expertise, resources, and information;
  • An automated case management system like the FBI’s Rapid Start that organizes and collates lead information so investigators don't get overwhelmed;
  • A team of crime analysts who can help investigators develop timelines of murders and backgrounds on suspects, highlight similar case elements, etc. (note: if your agency doesn't have such a team, ask for help from a neighboring jurisdiction or from our National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime);
  • Consistent forensic services, which in the best case scenario means that the same crime scene team goes to each scene and the same crime lab processes all the evidence (but if that's not possible, then enhanced communication between the teams and the labs is a must to ensure consistency); and
  • A strong media plan that successfully straddles the line between giving out relevant information to the media and not compromising the investigation—while helping to raise public awareness about the killings.

As for serial killer myths, our group of experts had this to say about a few of them:
1) Serial killers are not all dysfunctional loners: some have had wives and kids and full-time jobs and have been very active in their community or church or both.
2) Serial killers are not all white males: the racial diversification of serial killers generally mirrors the overall U.S. population.
3) Serial killers do not want to get caught: over time, as they kill without being discovered, they get careless during their crimes.
So much for the stereotypes!

http://www.fbi.gov/n...almurder_070708

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users