Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Photographer takes picture of man on tracks

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

View Postcoldethyl, on 11 December 2012 - 03:11 AM, said:

I'm certainly not excusing anyone, I'm just saying it is the way society functions.  It's screwed up.

You are more likely to get help the fewer people around.

My daughter just wrote a paper about it for her humanities class.  Very interesting.

I'd be interested in where she got those stats. It's been my personal experience that people will jump in there and help if someone else innitiates it.

#32    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:23 AM

View PostMichelle, on 11 December 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

I'd be interested in where she got those stats. It's been my personal experience that people will jump in there and help if someone else innitiates it.

But the more people around, the less likely someone is to initiate it.  That's the point of the study, see what I mean?  I'll ask her and see if it came from her book or where tho.  :yes:

Wait, here you go, it's called the bystander effect:  http://en.wikipedia....ystander_effect

Edited by coldethyl, 11 December 2012 - 03:26 AM.

#33    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:31 AM

View Postcoldethyl, on 11 December 2012 - 03:23 AM, said:

But the more people around, the less likely someone is to initiate it.  That's the point of the study, see what I mean?  I'll ask her and see if it came from her book or where tho.  :yes:

Well, I've never been one to ask why isn't anyone doing anything. I'm more the one that jumps in and demands help if needed. So far, I haven't been disappointed. :tu:

#34    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

View PostMichelle, on 11 December 2012 - 03:31 AM, said:

Well, I've never been one to ask why isn't anyone doing anything. I'm more the one that jumps in and demands help if needed. So far, I haven't been disappointed. :tu:

Hope you got the link after my edit.  It explains it better.

#35    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

View Postcoldethyl, on 11 December 2012 - 03:40 AM, said:

Hope you got the link after my edit.  It explains it better.

Yeah, thanks...can't say I haven't been bitten in the butt under certain circumstances.

#36    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:44 AM

Maybe I should clarify...I saw a guy beating up his "girlfriend" outside of a bar. Needless to say, I responded as if she was a "victim". Well, she turned on me and defended the guy, claws and all... in a heartbeat. Ya know, I would do it again, but I have been a whole lot more cautious of her!

In that instance it bit me in the butt.

Edited by Michelle, 11 December 2012 - 05:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users