Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Parrots are the smartest birds!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    crouton

crouton

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

• 'This one goes to eleven....'

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

This parrot is amazing.  

Parrot's oratory stuns scientists
By Alex Kirby
BBC News Online environment correspondent

Feathered prodigy: N'kisi leads the field
The finding of a parrot with an almost unparalleled power to communicate with people has brought scientists up short.

The bird, a captive African grey called N'kisi, has a vocabulary of 950 words, and shows signs of a sense of humour.

He invents his own words and phrases if he is confronted with novel ideas with which his existing repertoire cannot cope - just as a human child would do.

N'kisi's remarkable abilities, which are said to include telepathy, feature in the latest BBC Wildlife Magazine.

N'kisi is believed to be one of the most advanced users of human language in the animal world.

About 100 words are needed for half of all reading in English, so if N'kisi could read he would be able to cope with a wide range of material.

He uses words in context, with past, present and future tenses, and is often inventive.

One N'kisi-ism was "flied" for "flew", and another "pretty smell medicine" to describe the aromatherapy oils used by his owner, an artist based in New York.

When he first met Dr Jane Goodall, the renowned chimpanzee expert, after seeing her in a picture with apes, N'kisi said: "Got a chimp?"

He appears to fancy himself as a humourist. When another parrot hung upside down from its perch, he commented: "You got to put this bird on the camera."

Dr Goodall says N'kisi's verbal fireworks are an "outstanding example of interspecies communication".

In an experiment, the bird and his owner were put in separate rooms and filmed as the artist opened random envelopes containing picture cards.

Analysis showed the parrot had used appropriate keywords three times more often than would be likely by chance.

This was despite the researchers discounting responses like "What ya doing on the phone?" when N'kisi saw a card of a man with a telephone, and "Can I give you a hug?" with one of a couple embracing.

Professor Donald Broom, of the University of Cambridge's School of Veterinary Medicine, said: "The more we look at the cognitive abilities of animals, the more advanced they appear, and the biggest leap of all has been with parrots."

Alison Hales, of the World Parrot Trust, told BBC News Online: "N'kisi's amazing vocabulary and sense of humour should make everyone who has a pet parrot consider whether they are meeting its needs.

"They may not be able to ask directly, but parrots are long-lived, and a bit of research now could mean an improved quality of life for years."

On a Jane Goodall special (I think it is being recast this week) I saw another parrot (he lived in England) that had the concept of past, present and future.  He would talk about a car ride he had taken, and often talked about going for a car ride in the future.  I am amazed by these birds.  It gives a whole new meaning to the term 'bird-brain'.

Edited by crouton, 27 December 2006 - 08:30 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2    m. Moe

m. Moe

UMs Official Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

• I'm that evil voice in your head that tells you to burn things.

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

It's pretty amazing how smart these birds can be. original.gif

Posted Image
Signature by the_scorpian
"Sweet lovely death, I'm waiting for your breath, come sweet death one last caress"
Congrats, you found my subliminal message. Now pat yourself on the back and stop highlighting my signature

#3    Tucuxi

Tucuxi

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 89 posts

• Hatred is no way to make progress.

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

Well I wouldn't say they are the SMARTEST, but I am biased. It all depends on your definition of intelligence. According to my perspective, they are EXTREMELY intelligent, highly capable, and people need to give the birdies more credit then they usually get.

Posted Image
Pictures of Inouk taken by Stefan Jacobs and Valerie Meyer Pictures of living captive orcas HERE

#4    dantheman2435

dantheman2435

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

• "Wat."

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

I used to have a pet parrot. Poor thing could only curse.

#5    m. Moe

m. Moe

UMs Official Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

• I'm that evil voice in your head that tells you to burn things.

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:11 AM

I used to have a pet parrot. Poor thing could only curse.

My grandma used to have one also. She would keep it on the top of her t.v stand. Eventually the bird started chanting "Jerry, Jerry".

Posted Image
Signature by the_scorpian
"Sweet lovely death, I'm waiting for your breath, come sweet death one last caress"
Congrats, you found my subliminal message. Now pat yourself on the back and stop highlighting my signature

#6    GoGoGodzilla

GoGoGodzilla

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:36 AM

LOL my uncle had a parrot who would curse at people who came in the house, all he knew how to do was curse people out.  i, found it ammusing..some people didnt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users