Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Gun Seizure sparks probe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,114 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

The head of the commission for public complaints against the RCMP says a probe has been launched after Mounties seized guns from evacuated homes in the aftermath of flooding in High River, Alta.

Ian McPhail, the interim chair of the Commission for Public Complaints Against the RCMP, announced the "public interest" probe on Friday.

"Given the concerns expressed by some members of the public and the ensuing media coverage of RCMP actions in High River, the commission will examine whether the members' actions complied with all appropriate policies, procedures, guidelines and statutory requirements," the independent agency said in a release.

RCMP said they went door-to-door in sections of High River that had been evacuated due to the catastrophic flooding that hit southern Alberta in late June. Police said they were searching for victims of the flooding, but they also took firearms they said had been left in homes.

RCMP officials said at the time that hundreds of weapons that had been left out in plain view and not secure had been taken to the High River detachment.

"It's no different than Slave Lake, to seize firearms or to secure firearms that are in plain view," RCMP Insp. Garrett Woolsey, said on June 28, referring to the Alberta community swept by fire in 2011.

The police action prompted a demand from the Prime Minister's Officethat the RCMP give the firearms back to their owners as soon as possible.

A gun owners' group, the Canadian Shooting Sports Association, was sharply critical of the RCMP's actions, calling it proof of a "not-so-hidden agenda" to take guns away from responsible gun owners.

The RCMP said on June 29 that they had begun returning the firearms to High River residents as they were allowed back into their homes.

Earlier in the day, RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson requested that McPhail consider a "chair-initiated complaint." That, Paulson wrote, would allow the complaints commission to investigate RCMP actions in High River, “to assess if they were well founded, reasonably executed and in accordance with our policies.”

In his Friday letter, Paulson said he is proud of the RCMP’s community response to the terrible flooding in High River.

"I am quite concerned by the sharp criticism that has arisen in the media with respect to the gun seizures from evacuated homes," Paulson wrote.

"Naturally this is quite troubling to me, and I am sure to you, as indeed it must be to many Canadians, who wonder what was going on in High River."

Paulson said he is committed to co-operating with investigators.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/07/05/rcmp-flood-high-river-guns-complaint-commissioner-paulson.html

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#2    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

I think a probe is a good idea, but I don't think the cops did anything wrong. As long as the weapons were returned to the owners, without any problems, I don't see the big deal. During any disaster, looters can be bad, so taking the guns, was a good move.

#3    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,208 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

View PostKowalski, on 05 July 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

I think a probe is a good idea, but I don't think the cops did anything wrong. As long as the weapons were returned to the owners, without any problems, I don't see the big deal. During any disaster, looters can be bad, so taking the guns, was a good move.

Canada is loaded to the nines with guns and very little issue with it. The problem here is in order to get the guns back they have to prove there proper liciences to get there guns back. Most lost that documentation in the flood. The police just can`t leave an abandond town loaded with guns, they had to do something and I`m on the cops side on this one. It might just take time for owners and police to match guns to the right people aka owners.

Edited by The Silver Thong, 06 July 2013 - 01:58 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#4    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

But mr silver, I'd wager most of these guns at least had trigger locks on them, making them quiet useful. Besides, where did the police get permission to start ransacking the houses for said firearms. Lol.

#5    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,827 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

Apparently we have been mislead by some Canadians in the gun threads. They have claimed that the laws are so strict and the fines are so stiff that very few have unsecured guns in Canada. If they had been secured in safes the Mounties would not have been able to confiscate them.

#6    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,114 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

View PostMichelle, on 06 July 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

Apparently we have been mislead by some Canadians in the gun threads. They have claimed that the laws are so strict and the fines are so stiff that very few have unsecured guns in Canada. If they had been secured in safes the Mounties would not have been able to confiscate them.

Safe storage of a non restricted firearm in Canada is just as simple as tossing it in the closet (as long as it is rendered inoperable with a trigger lock, cable lock, or bolt removed. also it must be unloaded) If it is in a locked storage container then it can be just unloaded.

If it is restricted then the firearm must be locked up. Bolt removed.

Anyway here is a video

http://www.sunnewsne...s/2527370392001

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

#7    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,827 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

Wow!!! I can't believe they broke into people's homes that were not in the flood zone and had no water damage at all. How do they justify thinking someone or even a pet in the house may need to be rescued? Not only that, but they left the houses wide open to looters. It's no wonder people are reluctant to leave their homes during a natural disaster.

I would be furious!!!

#8    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,114 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

To me this sounds like a lawsuit in the making. Especially since it does look like they where targeting firearms. Breaking into homes to find them. I can understand going into flooded homes to look for missing people or pets, finding a few firearms people put above the water line. But in non flooded, locked homes. They break in, yes a state of emergency does lift some requirments that law enforcement need to enter homes, such as a warrant But they need to use common sence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users