Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

What do you think this is?


  • Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#16    Professor T

Professor T

    Λ Ο Δ, 2222

  • Member
  • 2,446 posts
  • Joined:11 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 15 December 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

:lol: you think I’d stick my finger in ectoplasm?
Yeah, I would... but let’s not talk about that right now.

Actually I was thinking it was smoke.. :lol:  Just wondering what you were smoking..

But seen as you weren't smoking, I thinks, perhaps, given it was flash photography & cold you captured either your breath or body heat.
But that's just my opinion on the photo.. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the probability in spirits, entities, and the likes, but given that you didn't see it in the real but the camera did, I'll have to go with the most logical conclusion.. If you did see it and how "wow that weird" then took the photo, perhaps then I would more likely think that you captured something spiritual.


#17    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

    High priest of Darwinism

  • Member
  • 9,582 posts
  • Joined:15 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 15 December 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

I’m not that full of hot air, you know. The night was not especially cold, only snowy, and I was breathing, surprisingly, the whole time, yet the anomaly is only in one photo. Besides, hot air, from my mouth or from the house (also, the door closed) would look more cloudy and less... ectoplasmy.

Maybe you were holding breath, preparing to shoot, or preparing for cold temperature. You know when you going in cold sea after boling on hot beach. You hold breath?
I also thought could it be wind blowing snow. One very speedy wind?

Anyway, I always consider you to be dragon lady. I seen more the once fire comes from your mouth.

Edited by the L, 16 December 2012 - 12:10 AM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#18    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

    devil's aunt

  • Member
  • 21,746 posts
  • Joined:21 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Croatia/Sucamore Beach

  • Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thank you all for taking time to see my weird photo.

The exhale theory sounds convincing, but I think I’d see my breath too, it wouldn’t be caught only by camera. But then again, refractions, reflections, whatnot, you might be right. Maybe it is just my breath in flash light.
It’s not smoke because though I am a smoker, I wasn’t smoking anything at the time I took photos. Same with car exhaust, no cars running anywhere near for literally hours.
Not a snow slide, I’ve attached the third photo where you can see what it looks like – I was perfectly aware a portion of snow just fell off higher branches, creating this cute but explainable effect:

Attached Files


Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#19    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

    devil's aunt

  • Member
  • 21,746 posts
  • Joined:21 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Croatia/Sucamore Beach

  • Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

So, personally, I’ll go with ouija’s explanation, because I like it the most :D It’s the Spirit of Winter and it will bite you sceptics' noses to prove it’s real ;)

Edited by Helen of Annoy, 16 December 2012 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#20    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    dimple

  • Member
  • 10,116 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Personally, I'm just enjoying the photos! :)


I just looked at the first one again ...... I really don't think breath would look like that, would it?

Edited by ouija ouija, 16 December 2012 - 10:03 PM.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#21    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

    devil's aunt

  • Member
  • 21,746 posts
  • Joined:21 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Croatia/Sucamore Beach

  • Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 16 December 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

Personally, I'm just enjoying the photos! :)


I just looked at the first one again ...... I really don't think breath would look like that, would it?

I'm glad you enjoy them :)

I think breath looks completely different in photos, here I’ve attached a photo with exhaled cigarette smoke visible in lower right corner. I’d attach something less cancerous but that one was handy and breath on a cold day looks exactly like that - a form of mist.
Not remotely similar to almost angular structure I’ve caught in anomalous photo.  

But since I’m not professional photographer or physicist, I have to admit there’s a possibility it’s just me having no idea what breath might look like in certain conditions. *shrugs*

Attached Files


Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#22    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

    Overlord of Delgon

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts
  • Joined:06 Jan 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Beyond your dimension

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 17 December 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

I'm glad you enjoy them :)

I think breath looks completely different in photos, here I’ve attached a photo with exhaled cigarette smoke visible in lower right corner. I’d attach something less cancerous but that one was handy and breath on a cold day looks exactly like that - a form of mist.
Not remotely similar to almost angular structure I’ve caught in anomalous photo.  

But since I’m not professional photographer or physicist, I have to admit there’s a possibility it’s just me having no idea what breath might look like in certain conditions. *shrugs*
Different images taken in different conditions and with different exposures.  Your original image looks just like exhaled breath illuminated by the camera.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#23    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    dimple

  • Member
  • 10,116 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 17 December 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

Your original image looks just like exhaled breath illuminated by the camera.

With all due respect: NO IT DOESN'T!! :)

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#24    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

    devil's aunt

  • Member
  • 21,746 posts
  • Joined:21 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Croatia/Sucamore Beach

  • Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

I promise to take few photos at night, when temperature drops and snow starts to fall, deliberately breathing like a maniac to see if the same pattern can be recreated.
I doubt it's the breath since I've seen similar anomalies in photos taken (by other people) in different weather and in different light and it just doesn't look like breath. Breath doesn't have tubular or angular structure.

I'm open for sceptic explanations if they are convincing.

Speaking of unconvincing explanations, here're two photos 15 or so years old, with miserable resolution (bad scans of small classic photos, I do keep the original film) but you can see that white spiralling thingy in the upper left corner. Some people told me it's clearly a roll of toilet paper flying through the air. Well, I think it's not. I also have no idea what exactly is it, but I like the way it looks like it follows us in the first photo, and how it's only partially in the second photo - therefore, whatever that was, it hovered there, in a spot in actual space, it's not a defect on film or paper. Or roll of paper *rolling my eyes*

Attached Files


Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#25    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

    Overlord of Delgon

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts
  • Joined:06 Jan 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Beyond your dimension

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 17 December 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

With all due respect: NO IT DOESN'T!! :)
Been researching such claimed photo anomalies since the early 1990s - YES IT DOES.

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#26    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

    devil's aunt

  • Member
  • 21,746 posts
  • Joined:21 Jul 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Croatia/Sucamore Beach

  • Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 17 December 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

Been researching such claimed photo anomalies since the early 1990s - YES IT DOES.

All right, we obviously have different image processing chips installed.
What do you say about “toilet paper roll” above?

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#27    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

    dimple

  • Member
  • 10,116 posts
  • Joined:20 Oct 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

  • I never walk alone.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

View PostOppono Astos, on 17 December 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

Been researching such claimed photo anomalies since the early 1990s - YES IT DOES.

I hope you're not saying that you're never wrong? :innocent:

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#28    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,570 posts
  • Joined:16 Dec 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Free America

  • it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

Santa Clause was flying by in the second picture. Upper right in the trees. You can see his red coat and sleigh full of presents.


#29    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

    a paid-up member of the “tin foil hat brigade”

  • Member
  • 24,446 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Sea of Okhotsk

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

I really don't think it looks very much like breath myself, really. I do hope this doesn't make me Credulous and not Skeptical enough to pass muster. But you know something? I think I'd rather be. It must be so dreary to have be a hard nosed rationalist all the time. Use your imagination. It's so much more fun. :santa:

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image


#30    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

    a paid-up member of the “tin foil hat brigade”

  • Member
  • 24,446 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Sea of Okhotsk

  • Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostHelen of Annoy, on 17 December 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

I promise to take few photos at night, when temperature drops and snow starts to fall, deliberately breathing like a maniac to see if the same pattern can be recreated.
I doubt it's the breath since I've seen similar anomalies in photos taken (by other people) in different weather and in different light and it just doesn't look like breath. Breath doesn't have tubular or angular structure.

I'm open for sceptic explanations if they are convincing.

Speaking of unconvincing explanations, here're two photos 15 or so years old, with miserable resolution (bad scans of small classic photos, I do keep the original film) but you can see that white spiralling thingy in the upper left corner. Some people told me it's clearly a roll of toilet paper flying through the air. Well, I think it's not. I also have no idea what exactly is it, but I like the way it looks like it follows us in the first photo, and how it's only partially in the second photo - therefore, whatever that was, it hovered there, in a spot in actual space, it's not a defect on film or paper. Or roll of paper *rolling my eyes*
that does look rather like the effect you get if you photograph a light, like a flashlight or candle, on a long exposure while it, or the camera, is moving. Although that wouldn't be likely to be the case here, but I do wonder if something may have been moving about in front of the lens that happened to catch the light at the time? Not trying to be Skeptical, just offering a suggestion.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.


Posted Image





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users