Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bear Lake Monster

MysteryMike

4971289.jpg?419

The Bear Lake Monster is a cryptid appearing in local folk-lore near Bear Lake, on the Utah–Idaho border.

The myth originally grew from articles written in the 19th century by Joseph C. Rich, a Mormon colonizer in the area, purporting to report second-hand accounts of sightings of the creature. However, he later recanted the stories.

In recent years the monster is considered to be a tourist attraction. The last reported sighting of the monster was in 2004.

The Bear Lake monster also appears in Animal Planet's "Lost Tapes," drama series, in which it is depicted as similar to a crocodile or a mosasaur. Lost Tapes also states that in one legend Pecos Bill fought the monster for days until he finally defeated the creature. The show also included a group of girls who were staying over in tents beside the lake being attacked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Lake_monster

What do you guys think? You think the creature exists and if so what do you think it is?

Edited by MysteryMike

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MysteryMike

• orangepeaceful79

• Overdueleaf

• DieChecker

Popular Days

4971289.jpg?419

The Bear Lake Monster is a cryptid appearing in local folk-lore near Bear Lake, on the Utah–Idaho border.

The myth originally grew from articles written in the 19th century by Joseph C. Rich, a Mormon colonizer in the area, purporting to report second-hand accounts of sightings of the creature. However, he later recanted the stories.

What do you guys think? You think the creature exists and if so what do you think it is?

Refer to what was stated/underlined/bold... it was made up.. do we really need to ask if it exists? Screams of make-believe to me... but thats just me.

Edited by Overdueleaf

Refer to what was stated/underlined/bold... it was made up.. do we really need to ask if it exists? Screams of make-believe to me... but thats just me.

You never know. I do kind of believe in it, but my best guess is that maybe it was an escaped Alligator. Some people who claimed to have seen the Bear Lake Monster said it had characteristics of an Alligator.

Edited by MysteryMike

You never know. I do kind of believe in it, but my best guess is that maybe it was an escaped Alligator. Some people who claimed to have seen the Bear Lake Monster said it had characteristics of an Alligator.

Bear Lake sits at an elevation of 5925 ft above sea level. There is no way a reptile could survive the temperatures of a lake at an elevation like that. Its make believe. At even just 16 feet of water depth the average annual temperature hovers in the 50s. Not a friendly environment for any reptile.

http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1588&context=nrei

No. Way to cold. It frequently freezes over. I go up there fishing all the time. Tons of food for a large reptilian predator but it's just to cold.

Edited by evancj

If it was stated as being around from the 19th century... not only would it have had to survive some pretty cold winters id imagine.. but would be one of the oldest living reptiles on earth.

though one has to ponder... if it was an escaped alligator how did it get to the lake in the 19th century? would have been one interesting journey out for whomever took it.

Edited by Overdueleaf

All got good points. Guess we'll never know if it does exist or not then.

All got good points. Guess we'll never know if it does exist or not then.

I think what we'll never know is what the eyewitnesses actually saw - if they weren't just making the whole thing up, that is. Its reasonably certain that it wasn't a large marine reptile. Even a cursory knowledge of biology will tell you that temperatures like that will not be hospitable to reptile life.

I think that it appears in the show Lost Tapes, is a bit damning in and of itself.

• Like 1