Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

College Football 2014

BrooklynGuy

I'm Looking forward to the new season. Life long Notre Dame fan, hopefully they will have another good year. First year with the playoff format, I'll take Florida State, Oklahoma, Georgia and UCLA to make the final four.

• Like 1

I do more rooting against teams than rooting for teams in college football.

Root against:

Alabama and most of the SEC

Florida schools

USC

Root for:

Mostly underdogs

Most Big Ten schools

I do more rooting against teams than rooting for teams in college football.

Root against:

Alabama and most of the SEC

Florida schools

USC

Root for:

Mostly underdogs

Most Big Ten schools

I root for Alabama :clap: but against the rest of the SEC. :td:

I root for FSU :yes: but against Florida (above) and Miami. :no:

As for your root for list, underdogs and Big Ten schools is redundant. :innocent:

• Like 2

Not sure why my beloved Crimson Tide is ranked #2. Must be brand recognition. We lost most of our starters from a team that dropped their last two games. We should be around 5th to 8th, IMO. Hell we don't even have a starting QB yet.

My picks for the playoffs: FSU, Oregon, Oklahoma, and BAMA (homer pick).

Edited to add that BAMA is 2nd in the coaches poll, not the CBS poll that is linked.

Edited by Bama13
  • Like 2

As for your root for list, underdogs and Big Ten schools is redundant. :innocent:

It has been in recent years that's for sure. But to be fair, northern schools don't pay as much. :w00t:

• Like 1

As a life long OU fan, I sort of like having them ranked this highly at the start... and sort of not... The Sooners seem to do best when they start out in the 10-19th ranked spots... I guess

it gives them more incentive or something... If we can get past Baylor this year (I never thought I would see myself writting something like that!) I think we have a very good shot at the

Big 12 (or whatever we are this year) title, and unless there are 4 unbeaten teams at the seasons end, I think a 1 loss OU is pretty much a shoo in for the playoff...

I think FSU has an excellent chance of also making it... I like Bama, but I think they've had to replace too many starters...

• Like 1

It has been in recent years that's for sure. But to be fair, northern schools don't pay as much. :w00t:

Have a friend that is an tOSU grad. We went to The Horseshoe to see the OSU/Mich game 2 years ago. I had a blast. This year we are going to the Iron Bowl (IB). I tried to explain to him that while OSU/Mich is a nice rivalry, it pales in comparison to BAMA/auburn. I hate to say it but ours is not a healthy rivalry. Every sports fan know about the trees at auburn being poisoned by a BAMA fan, however most folks seem unaware of the fact that there are often shootings after the game. It is ridiculous, yet somehow compelling. Add the fact that the last five winners of the IB have played for the National Championship (won 4 of them) and it gets even bigger in the fans minds.

Leave it to auburn to end the SEC streak. They are the only SEC team to lose to a non-SEC team in the Championship game. The only team to blow an 18 point halftime lead in the Championship game. Plus they wear orange, a disgusting and hideous color. The hate burns strong in me (but I would NEVER even think of harming someone over a damn game).

• Like 2

Have a friend that is an tOSU grad. We went to The Horseshoe to see the OSU/Mich game 2 years ago. I had a blast. This year we are going to the Iron Bowl (IB). I tried to explain to him that while OSU/Mich is a nice rivalry, it pales in comparison to BAMA/auburn. I hate to say it but ours is not a healthy rivalry. Every sports fan know about the trees at auburn being poisoned by a BAMA fan, however most folks seem unaware of the fact that there are often shootings after the game. It is ridiculous, yet somehow compelling. Add the fact that the last five winners of the IB have played for the National Championship (won 4 of them) and it gets even bigger in the fans minds.

Leave it to auburn to end the SEC streak. They are the only SEC team to lose to a non-SEC team in the Championship game. The only team to blow an 18 point halftime lead in the Championship game. Plus they wear orange, a disgusting and hideous color. The hate burns strong in me (but I would NEVER even think of harming someone over a damn game).

The OSU/Mich rivalry is pretty intense. It does get pretty crazy. I think the poverty level is just a little different in Alabama. When you read of shootings after the games, usually it was a very low income/class person doing the shooting.

OU-Texas can also get pretty intense at times, but I think it helps that we always play at a "nuetral site" (even if it is in Texas)... It seems to keep things a bit "calmer" when the fans are more or less even

in numbers and also that it takes place at the Texas State Fair help dilute the mayhem...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

And the referee deducts a point and issues a warning for a low blow. :tsu:

• Like 2

As a life long OU fan, I sort of like having them ranked this highly at the start... and sort of not... The Sooners seem to do best when they start out in the 10-19th ranked spots... I guess

it gives them more incentive or something... If we can get past Baylor this year (I never thought I would see myself writting something like that!) I think we have a very good shot at the

Big 12 (or whatever we are this year) title, and unless there are 4 unbeaten teams at the seasons end, I think a 1 loss OU is pretty much a shoo in for the playoff...

I think FSU has an excellent chance of also making it... I like Bama, but I think they've had to replace too many starters...

Taun, good insight on Baylor, I think they be very tough as well.

• Like 2

I'm Looking forward to the new season. Life long Notre Dame fan, hopefully they will have another good year. First year with the playoff format, I'll take Florida State, Oklahoma, Georgia and UCLA to make the final four.

What I really want to see is FSU, BAMA, Oregon, Oklahoma, and Ohio State all go undefeated. Who will the committee leave out of the playoffs?

• Like 1

What I really want to see is FSU, BAMA, Oregon, Oklahoma, and Ohio State all go undefeated. Who will the committee leave out of the playoffs?

I always want to see the college system fail too. What a crappy system they have. Even with a 4 team playoff, it is still stupid.

I don't think rankings should come out until conference play begins. I hate rankings before the season starts. An unranked team has a very difficult time reaching the top 4. A top 4 team has a difficult time falling out of the rankings. You see it every year, a team is ranked in the top 5 and ends up going 6-5 or worse.

Penn State fan here. New coach and system so it should be interesting....

• Like 2

The year after that happens we'll have an 8 team playoff... then a 16 and then 32... and then...etc... They will never have a system that makes everyone happy... I have to be honest and admit I'm not overly fond of a playoff system...

4 teams in one is okay I guess, but more than that and the season pretty much has to extend... Longer season and more games, much more chance of injuries... Also, with a playoff, most fans of a team have to decide which game

they are going to (those that go)... Do I go to the first round or wait for the next round? I can't afford to travel to both... What if I wait and we lose in the first round?... And I think the bowls will suffer as well...

As it was the bowl cities got the benefit of a full week of tourism, and festivities... Now, fans will come in just for the game, and (if their team wins) save their cash and tourism for the next game, etc...

• Like 1

The year after that happens we'll have an 8 team playoff... then a 16 and then 32... and then...etc... They will never have a system that makes everyone happy... I have to be honest and admit I'm not overly fond of a playoff system...

4 teams in one is okay I guess, but more than that and the season pretty much has to extend... Longer season and more games, much more chance of injuries... Also, with a playoff, most fans of a team have to decide which game

they are going to (those that go)... Do I go to the first round or wait for the next round? I can't afford to travel to both... What if I wait and we lose in the first round?... And I think the bowls will suffer as well...

As it was the bowl cities got the benefit of a full week of tourism, and festivities... Now, fans will come in just for the game, and (if their team wins) save their cash and tourism for the next game, etc...

Finally, someone besides me that is against the playoff system.

How about a 128 team playoff. Every team plays a 5 game regular season and we then have a 128 team/7 game playoff. Randomly seed the teams and 1 plays 128, 2 plays 127, etc. That way everyone has a chance to win the title. The losers in the early round can schedule games against each other until they have played 12 games. Talk about a disaster in the making but it would be "decided on the field".

• Like 1

I'm all in favor of a playoff.

Unless............................the NCAA would put in a more balanced scheduling system. It's crap when team can play easy pre conference schedules and still stay ranked very high. Just like it is crap that there are preconference rankings at all.

• Like 2

Hey guys here is a good read on the playoff system:

http://www.ibtimes.com/college-football-playoff-structure-rules-schedule-format-2014-season-1639426

I'm interested to see how it turns out, like some of you mentioned I think there will always be teams that feel like they should have got in over someone else.

• Like 1

In Alabama we feel like we already have a playoff system. First you have to win the quarterfinal game, the Iron Bowl (BAMA/auburn game). The winner of this game has played for the National Championship the last 5 years, winning 4 of them. Then you, usually (2011 being the exception), have to win the semifinal game, the SEC championship game. All they are doing, as far as BAMA fans are concerned, is adding another layer of games to the existing playoff system.

All of the above is true and somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

In Alabama we feel like we already have a playoff system. First you have to win the quarterfinal game, the Iron Bowl (BAMA/auburn game). The winner of this game has played for the National Championship the last 5 years, winning 4 of them. Then you, usually (2011 being the exception), have to win the semifinal game, the SEC championship game. All they are doing, as far as BAMA fans are concerned, is adding another layer of games to the existing playoff system.

All of the above is true and somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Good point, but I suspect at some time things will turn back around. It wasn't too long ago that Alabama was winning 3, 4 or 6 games per season (late 90's early 00's).

Good point, but I suspect at some time things will turn back around. It wasn't too long ago that Alabama was winning 3, 4 or 6 games per season (late 90's early 00's).

Did you have to remind me!? Trying to forget the "Mike's" era (Dubose, Price, and Shula) with a Dennis Franchione interlude. We (BAMA) have been fortunate to have had the best college football coach of all time (Bear) and the best of his time (Nick). I have been blessed to have lived during both their tenures. BAMA has won 10 NC's in my lifetime and I can be a bit arrogant about it at times. :yes:

Vote passed by 5 conference commissioners, players to get more money and benefits, which I think is way over due and they need to do more than they agreed to today. What do you guys think?

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

Only 10 days to go, some very good games the first weekend.

2554.jpg

Edited by BrooklynGuy