Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush admits illegal action

ninjadude

In an interview with Brit Hume that aired today on Fox News Sunday, President Bush admitted that he personally authorized the torture of 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. He said he personally asked “what tools” were available to use on him, and sought legal approval for waterboarding him:

BUSH: One such person who gave us information was Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. … And I’m in the Oval Office and I am told that we have captured Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and the professionals believe he has information necessary to secure the country. So I ask what tools are available for us to find information from him and they gave me a list of tools, and I said are these tools deemed to be legal? And so we got legal opinions before any decision was made.

source

PRELIMINARY MEMORANDUM OF THE JUSTICE ROBERT H. JACKSON CONFERENCE ON FEDERAL PROSECUTIONS OF WAR CRIMINALS

Submitted by davidswanson on Fri, 2009-01-09 14:43.

* Criminal Prosecution

* Evidence

I. INTRODUCTION.

An extensive complaint seeking federal prosecution of American officials who ordered, authorized, approved or committed war crimes is currently being prepared. While the complaint is in preparation, the Steering Committee of the Justice Robert H. Jackson Conference is issuing this preliminary memorandum setting forth several of the points to be presented more extensively in the complaint itself. Such points include the acts of torture and abuse which constitute war crimes, the high level individuals of the American Government who ordered, authorized, or approved these acts plus some of the lower level officials who committed them, and the warnings of illegality and immorality given to the culpable American officials -- as news of their secret actions slowly began to percolate within the Executive branch -- by persons ranging from FBI officials on the ground, to other executive investigative personnel on the ground, to military Judge Advocates General, to general counsels of the armed services. These warnings of illegality and immorality given by knowledgeable and experienced persons were ignored by the small group of high Executive officers who were determined that America would torture and abuse its prisoners and who had the decisionmaking power to secretly require this to be done.

source

Terrorism is not an excuse for lawlessness.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MaggieDruydess

• MasterPo

• Pseudo Intellectual

• Dowdy

Lame. All he said was that he asked what could be done and he asked if it was legal. Worthless. It's knee-jerk reactions like these that will allow him to walk away when he actually does admit to doing anything illegal, because he'll have so many weak accusations (like this one), that a good one will go unnoticed.

[bUSH: One such person who gave us information was Khalid Sheikh Mohammed. … And I’m in the Oval Office and I am told that we have captured Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and the professionals believe he has information necessary to secure the country. So I ask what tools are available for us to find information from him and they gave me a list of tools, and I said are these tools deemed to be legal? And so we got legal opinions before any decision was made.

Look up Leadership.

I pray the new administration has a pair to do like that as well!

linked-image

Look up Leadership.

I pray the new administration has a pair to do like that as well!

linked-image

There are many words to describe Bush but leadership is definitely NOT one of them.

There are many words to describe Bush but leadership is definitely NOT one of them.

He kept my butt safe for 7 years. That ranks pretty high on my list as a good leader!

He kept my butt safe for 7 years. That ranks pretty high on my list as a good leader!

Safe from what?

Oh brother....

So that's it? I fail to see any leadership

So that's it? I fail to see any leadership

The fact that my city isn't glowing bright green and no one is dying in my malls says a lot.

Of course, we all know the terrorists are just kind hearted souls who have given us a break for the last 7 years.....

The fact that my city isn't glowing bright green and no one is dying in my malls says a lot.

Of course, we all know the terrorists are just kind hearted souls who have given us a break for the last 7 years.....

Interesting logic. Reminds me of the Simpsons.

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm!

Lisa: That’s specious reasoning, dad.

Homer: Why thank you, honey.

Lisa: By your logic, I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.

Homer: Hmm. How does it work?

Lisa: It doesn’t work; it’s just a stupid rock!

Homer: Uh-huh.

Lisa: But I don’t see any tigers around, do you?

Homer: Hmm... Lisa, I want to buy your rock

That's the difference.

I see the lack of terrorist attacks on Main Street, U.S.A. as the result of good work by the military, police, etc.

You see a lack of terrorist attacks on Main Street, U.S.A. as the result of chance and the kindness of the terrorists.

Have you seen the bridge I have for sale.....

linked-image

Edited by MasterPo

Really convenient that we got attacked by terrorists at the beginning of his presidency wasn't it? It seems it gave him a problem to "fix". Nothing like some good leverage.

Was your neighborhood under attack under anyone else's administration Po? You seem quite thankful for the safety Bush has "suddenly provided".

Crt, I'm sure you would be happy to know that Bush was not responsible for the 9/11 attacks, and that al-Qaeda was planning it during Clinton's two terms. They tested Clinton many times, and they found out he was a *****, so they assumed Bush was too, but boy were they wrong...

That's the difference.

I see the lack of terrorist attacks on Main Street, U.S.A. as the result of good work by the military, police, etc.

You see a lack of terrorist attacks on Main Street, U.S.A. as the result of chance and the kindness of the terrorists.

Yeah but technically Bush failed at that in 2000 and 2001 by failing to prevent 9/11. He might have kept you safe, but he failed to keep safe the three thousand people who died in that attack.

A true leader does not take the freedoms and rights from his people to give himself more power. A true leader does not commit war crimes, does not invade the privacy of the people he is supposed to protect.

GWB is not a leader, he is a puppet.

Well I guess by those standards Bush did pretty good LOL Oh wait the latest terror attack happened on his watch hmmm ya ya he was only in office for 8 months and it was all Clintons fault anyway. Plus bush did keep America safe by sending 4000 plus boys and girls to there death in Iraq. Ya Bush is a swell guy, if your blind deaf and dumb...

Edited by The Silver Thong

No smoking gun here. In fact, I imagine Obama will say the same thing, when the next high-value terrorist is captured.

Crt, I'm sure you would be happy to know that Bush was not responsible for the 9/11 attacks, and that al-Qaeda was planning it during Clinton's two terms. They tested Clinton many times, and they found out he was a *****, so they assumed Bush was too, but boy were they wrong...

I never said he was responsible for the attacks. I apologize if I seemed to imply it, that honestly wasn't my intention or belief.

How do we know how Clinton would have handled the post-9/11? We can only make assumptions. Point is, it happened either way and it seems the merit being constantly credited to Bush is that we haven't had another 9/11 since the first one. So let's just focus on that and ignore how he did it or any of the other problems that have flared up under his administration.

Ohh Bush, you are the blanky for my nightmares. *snuggles up*

So cozy... so safe...

Hopefully I'll see the day when we completely remove ourselves from the Middle East. Troops, bases, food, aid, everything. It would be great if they never even knew America existed. Let them prosper or starve. It should be up to them. We should have no influence on their outcome.

We are only over there because of their oil anyway.

Hopefully I'll see the day when we completely remove ourselves from the Middle East. Troops, bases, food, aid, everything. It would be great if they never even knew America existed. Let them prosper or starve. It should be up to them. We should have no influence on their outcome.

Cheers to that.

True

wow! finally some are beginning to come around!

They didn't put Nixon, Clinton, Hoover or Lincoln in the klink, I doubt that they'll jail Bush. The truth is, even though we are a nation of laws, not men and no one is above the law, we'll probably never lock up any President.

That's a rather naive point of view. One never completely pulls out of a country one has conquered. There will always be a military base in the Middle East, even after peace reigns. We never pulled out of Japan, and we aren't going to pull out of Iraq.