Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    =Jak=

=Jak=

Telekinetic

• 6,944 posts

• SIMPLICITY

"Avoid hurtful thoughts and bring helpful attitude"

Self sacrifice attitude, kills ego.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:30 PM

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/white_hole_030917.html

#17    robbieb

robbieb

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 04:30 PM

heres an idea of how big space is if we sent a rocket ship towards the next closest sun traveling at the speed of light during the caveman time it still woudlnt be there yet.

#18    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,464 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:51 PM

Thnkx for the infos Waspie. I never knew it wasnt infinite..

Well I know is that to find the end of the space will take years which will feel like the space is infinite grin2.gif

Trying to find the end of the universe is like trying to find the end of the earth. If you go far enough you will arrive back where you started.

heres an idea of how big space is if we sent a rocket ship towards the next closest sun traveling at the speed of light during the caveman time it still woudlnt be there yet.

If you sent a spacecraft to the nearest sun at the speed of light (excluding our own) it would arrive in just over 4 years.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#19    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,464 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

And your point is? If you just post a link without explaining what it is you are trying to say then you are just wasting your time.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#20    zarvirus

zarvirus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

• Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:02 PM

Think about it, logically, its right to have an end for the start but, Space is infinite. Like, just keeps going. No end. No walls, just friggin space. Like going on and on and on and on.

Because of that fact, can we relate that to other things?? I mean if you think seriously about it, it really doesnt make any sense. Everytime we see something, we will be expecting for that "thing" to end anytime. How could Space not have an end?? Is it because the way we think?? The way we look at things? Is it something that we cant relate cuz its out of our hands?

What do you think?

Sorry if it sounds confusing...

** dam sorry for the spelling mistake in the title...  hmm.gif

Actually there are some scientists that say that universe does have an end...the thing is limitless not infinite...its like the sand, its imposible to count all the grains in it, but they have an end...

Posted Image

Bill Cosby:
A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice.

#21    =Jak=

=Jak=

Telekinetic

• 6,944 posts

• SIMPLICITY

"Avoid hurtful thoughts and bring helpful attitude"

Self sacrifice attitude, kills ego.

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:53 PM

And your point is? If you just post a link without explaining what it is you are trying to say then you are just wasting your time.

My point not yet proved... so i have nothing to say Waspie..

#22    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,464 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:03 AM

My point not yet proved... so i have nothing to say Waspie..

For someone with nothing to say you are making lot of posts.

Yes it is true that the standard model of the big bang is not proven, what is meant by that is the explanation of how the big bang came to be. There are several theories of how the universe began. They all have one thing in common... the universe was created at a specific moment in time and is expanding at a finite rate. There is very strong evidence for all of this, there is residule energy from the moment of the creation known as 3K radiation, also the expansion of the universe can be measured by the red shift of light from distant galaxies. All of which means that my original statement still stands... the universe has existed for a finite amount of time and has expanded at a finite rate and is, therefore finite.

The very post you have linked to is an alternative explantion for the big bang not an argument against it.

"It's a mathematically plausible model which refines the standard model of the Big Bang,"

In what way does it contradict the fact that the universe is finite? Yet again you have failed either to read or correctly understand a link yu have posted.

One caveat to my argument:

The univese is generally regarded to that which was created in the big bang. It is possible to theorise what lies beyond, but it may be impossible to know for sure. Hence it may be impossible for us to know if we are just one universe amongst many in a "multiverse". It is conceivable that the dimension or multiverse (call it what you will) that our universe is expanding into is infinite however the universe that we occupy will still be finite.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 21 May 2006 - 12:30 AM.

Posted Image
Click on button

#23    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,464 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 21 May 2006 - 12:25 AM

Actually there are some scientists that say that universe does have an end...the thing is limitless not infinite...its like the sand, its imposible to count all the grains in it, but they have an end...

This depends on what you mean "has an end". It is rather like being on a sphere, there is a finite volume but you will never find the edge. The express used is finite but boundless.

However their is an "observable edge" to the universe. It is impossible to see further than 13 - 14 billion light years from earth. This is not because the universe ends there. Because light travels at a fixed finite speed if you try to look back further than 13-14 billion light years you are trying to look back to a time before the universe began. The actual universe is much larger than the observable universe.

Posted Image
Click on button

#24    ACfishing2

ACfishing2

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:50 PM

The Big Bang= Begginning
The giant Freeze/Big Crunch = end

Edited by ACfishing2, 22 May 2006 - 10:51 PM.

#25    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,464 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:41 AM

The Big Bang= Begginning
The giant Freeze/Big Crunch = end

The besr current evidence suggest there will be no big crunch. As to the big freeze that will be when all activity stops in the universe, but the universe will still exist albeit as a uniform lifeless dark entity.

Posted Image
Click on button

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users