Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hands

StarMountainKid

I think this fits in the Psychology part of this forum. I don't remember where I got this from, but I find it interesting. There may be other aspects of our physiology like this.

"If you're right-handed you may have noticed that the left hand is only there to help the right hand. And vise versa for left-handed people. Notice how your hands cooperate with each other. The left hand holds something so the right hand can manipulate it. The left hand will reach out and grab something and kindly give it to the right hand. Unscrew the top off a bottle, pour a drink into a glass, hold a book and turn a page, dial on your cell phone.

It sounds obvious and an unimportant to think about, but it's almost like the left hand loves the right hand so much it devotes its entire life to helping it. If the left hand actually ever dares to do something on its own it will soon feel guilty and humbly pass the task on to the right hand.

This is why a right-handed person must always carry money in the left pocket, so the left hand can hold it out for the right to choose the correct change. To do otherwise not only is against the natural order of the Universe, it is upsetting to the sanity, health and harmony of the mind/body continuum and for a right-handed individual to ignore this proper hand-etiquette puts a dreadful psychological burden upon the left hand.

Not only that, the humiliation and dishonor the right hand must feel in holding out coins wondering what to do with them is a hideous and cruel treatment of one of the best and most loyal friends a human being can have.

Please, treat each hand in the manner they are accustomed to. Never force a task upon them that God Himself (Herself/Itself (oh…whatever)) has apportioned them their rightful place in the Cosmic order of all that is good and decent."

• Like 1

I am right handed but I use my right hand to hand out money. I hurt my left hand not long ago and found I use it for all sorts of things.

• Like 1

But what if the person is ambidextrous like me ?

I think this fits in the Psychology part of this forum. I don't remember where I got this from, but I find it interesting. There may be other aspects of our physiology like this.

"If you're right-handed you may have noticed that the left hand is only there to help the right hand. And vise versa for left-handed people. Notice how your hands cooperate with each other. The left hand holds something so the right hand can manipulate it. The left hand will reach out and grab something and kindly give it to the right hand. Unscrew the top off a bottle, pour a drink into a glass, hold a book and turn a page, dial on your cell phone.

It sounds obvious and an unimportant to think about, but it's almost like the left hand loves the right hand so much it devotes its entire life to helping it. If the left hand actually ever dares to do something on its own it will soon feel guilty and humbly pass the task on to the right hand.

This is why a right-handed person must always carry money in the left pocket, so the left hand can hold it out for the right to choose the correct change. To do otherwise not only is against the natural order of the Universe, it is upsetting to the sanity, health and harmony of the mind/body continuum and for a right-handed individual to ignore this proper hand-etiquette puts a dreadful psychological burden upon the left hand.

Not only that, the humiliation and dishonor the right hand must feel in holding out coins wondering what to do with them is a hideous and cruel treatment of one of the best and most loyal friends a human being can have.

Please, treat each hand in the manner they are accustomed to. Never force a task upon them that God Himself (Herself/Itself (oh…whatever)) has apportioned them their rightful place in the Cosmic order of all that is good and decent."

I don't agree with everything said, but I think it's a fair assessment.

Puting my wallet in my left pocket allows me to draw it out with my "less" dominant hand, hold onto it with my left hand, and retrieve currency with my dominant right hand.

Curiously, I have put my wallet in my right back pocket, and have ALWAYS found me switching it to my left hand to permit my dominant right hand to do the business. So, I don't do that anymore.

I also notice that I tend to comb my hair with my dominant hand, using my left hand to "present" my hair for combing.

Pants have the coin pocket on the right side. Levi never heard this theory. Life could have been so much easier.

I guess my question doesnt deserve an answer :blush:

guess my question doesnt deserve an answer :blush:

Umm...do your hands fight each other for supremacy?

But what if the person is ambidextrous like me ?

Then he/she is a freak of nature (jk)

Umm...do your hands fight each other for supremacy?

No there equally capable of doing pretty much all things, although my writing changes depending on which hand I use.

Then he/she is a freak of nature (jk)

Never been called a freak of nature before, Iv been called strange but freak of nature is a new one :tu:

No there equally capable of doing pretty much all things, although my writing changes depending on which hand I use.

Never been called a freak of nature before, Iv been called strange but freak of nature is a new one :tu:

lol Well, if we're going to give hands minds and start the science of hands psychology, then in all ways you're a freak of nature :tsu: lol

lol Well, if we're going to give hands minds and start the science of hands psychology, then in all ways you're a freak of nature :tsu: lol

I would think Id be more of a genuis level player considering not everybody can use both hands equally as well. That is if where giving hands minds :whistle:

• Like 1

I as well possess the power of being ambidextrous!

Freaks unite!

• Like 2

I would think Id be more of a genuis level player considering not everybody can use both hands equally as well. That is if where giving hands minds :whistle:

Exactly! :clap:

Exactly! :clap:

What hand do you prefer to use?

I'm right handed and I must prefer my right side. Coins, stuff go in my right pants pocket so I can retrieve it with my right hand or it goes in my left shirt breast pocket so I can also retrieve it with my right hand.

I'm pre ju dice! :w00t:

Edited by QuiteContrary

Righty here but I try to change it up every now and them by writing and doing other right handed things with my left hand. Read somewhere that it is good for left and right brain coordination, some such noise. Dunno if it works but my left hand had gotten better at writing.

• Like 1

What hand do you prefer to use?

Oh i'm a normal person :-p. I'm a righty and it doesn't enjoy free will :-D

Oh i'm a normal person :-p. I'm a righty and it doesn't enjoy free will :-D

ah I see

Why are most people right handed?

Because most people can't deal with the trials and tribulations that come with being left handed!

e.g. the smudge. (all left handers know exactly what this means!)

• Like 1

I'm right handed and I must prefer my right side. Coins, stuff go in my right pants pocket so I can retrieve it with my right hand or it goes in my left shirt breast pocket so I can also retrieve it with my right hand.

I'm pre ju dice! :w00t:

Wait a minute. . . you take the coins out then drop them in your left hand to count them or hold them in your right hand and count with your left hand. And what if you were holding a beer. . . if you drink with your right hand you would have to transfer the beverage to your left hand then what. . . you might have to set the beer down or drop the money on a table...

...I have too much time on my hands.

• Like 1

Wait a minute. . . you take the coins out then drop them in your left hand to count them or hold them in your right hand and count with your left hand. And what if you were holding a beer. . . if you drink with your right hand you would have to transfer the beverage to your left hand then what. . . you might have to set the beer down or drop the money on a table...

...I have too much time on my hands.

Yes, I transfer coins to left hand to count with my right.

I don't stand around with a drink in my hands i have to fish money out for, so that's not a problem.

When I used to drink, let's see...I guess I paid while the drink sat on the bar then picked it up with my right hand. No problema.

Plus, my left hand isn't useless or anything. And I don't often count coins any more. I rarely use/carry any cash/coins anymore.

So it's even less of an "issue" for me.

Interesting topic... makes me think of my college days, there was a student in my theology class with deformities in both his arms, they were both short, one had vestigial fingers and the other had just a nub. He used a laptop for notes and seemed pretty proficient using his nub on the right over his little fingers on the left. Could have been due to the fact that his left arm was slightly shorter but I wonder if the dominant hand it's an indication of the side of the brain that is dominant.

I recall learning about what each side of the brain does in one of my psych classes... something about left brain/right handed people tend to be more analytical and right brain/left handed tend to be creative...or something like that. It's been a long time since college.

Hmm...then again, I'm a righty and am much more creative than analytical. Maybe I have out backwards. Anyone?

Edited by Lava_Lady

I recall learning about what each side of the brain does in one of my psych classes... something about left brain/right handed people tend to be more analytical and right brain/left handed tend to be creative...or something like that. It's been a long time since college.

Makes sense to me... i'm more analytical than creative. However, Edward De Bono has a very interesting view on creativity... turned out lateral thinking can be learned.