Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hillary Clinton wins!

Guardsman Bass

Yes, she has won in spite of the polls

My personal reaction to this is "Blah!" Talk about out of the blue; none of the recent polls were predicting this. They all predicted a double digit Obama lead.

In any case, she's definitely still in, and no doubt she will play this to the absolute max. It's not really much of a major victory (she won by 3% as opposed to Obama's significantly larger victory margin in Iowa), but the expectations for her campaign's performance had gotten so low that it seems like a major victory for her by comparison.

This almost makes me wonder if race ended up being a factor for many voters. It's something that frequently only comes up in the voting booth and not in the polls, since people are very reluctant to mention that they won't vote for a minority to a pollster. Or, as a poster on a different forum brought up (along with the former theory), perhaps a ton of the independent voters took Obama's victory for granted and rushed to vote in the Republican Primary for McCain.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guardsman Bass

• Stardrive

• chemical-licker

• Finsup22

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, she has won in spite of the polls

My personal reaction to this is "Blah!" Talk about out of the blue; none of the recent polls were predicting this. They all predicted a double digit Obama lead.

In any case, she's definitely still in, and no doubt she will play this to the absolute max. It's not really much of a major victory (she won by 3% as opposed to Obama's significantly larger victory margin in Iowa), but the expectations for her campaign's performance had gotten so low that it seems like a major victory for her by comparison.

This almost makes me wonder if race ended up being a factor for many voters. It's something that frequently only comes up in the voting booth and not in the polls, since people are very reluctant to mention that they won't vote for a minority to a pollster. Or, as a poster on a different forum brought up (along with the former theory), perhaps a ton of the independent voters took Obama's victory for granted and rushed to vote in the Republican Primary for McCain.

I don't think that race was nearly as much a factor for Obama in nh as it might be in other states. But his sex may have been. I suspect the climate was favorable for a female president. Having a name that sounds like it's probably muslim may have worked against him also.

Actually, at the nh polls today, a large majority of independents chose to vote in the democrat primary, as well as many first-time voters who registered at the polls. So much that if this had been the final election, the democrats would have won in a landslide victory.

There were so many more people voting democrat than expected, that many of the towns and voting districts ran out of democrat voting forms, and the people waited in line for several hours while more forms were transported in.

While on the other hand, there was an excess of republican voting forms, which were barely being touched. Though McCain gathered a high percentage of republican voters, his actual vote count was little more than 3'rd place democrat Edwards.

I have noticed all the right wing pundits (Olielly, Scarborough, etc, Fox news) have been applauding Obama..........

CNN ran a piece on it.

I think the right wingers are gearing up to play the race card to the max if Obama wins.

My question is: Who do you guys think is more electable?

- Hillary will not be the next President. The left was just clinging to her then beacuse they think she was the best bet to take the White House, now they think with Obama they don't need her.

- McCain was rejected after showing some promise on 2002, and will be rejected again by the right.

Edited by AROCES

Yep just as I have long suspected the weather in the northeast USA does freeze brain cells. If it must be a Democrat, I shudder to think of it, please dear God Obama before Hillary.

- Hillary will not be the next President. The left was just clinging to her then beacuse they think she was the best bet to take the White House, now they think with Obama they don't need her.

For once, I actually agree with you, at least on part of this. Hillary Clinton was basically the "default" candidate because none of the alternatives were particularly attractive, until Obama comes along. I think she probably could win the Presidential election, but not without re-energizing the Republican Party in opposition against her - and it would be an ugly election.

- McCain was rejected after showing some promise on 2002, and will be rejected again by the right.

I think you mean 2000. Keep in mind, though, that the rejection of McCain was also possible because there was an alternate in the form of Bush that appealed to both the conservative christian base and the conservative business base in the Republican Party. Since the primary voters usually tend to be more partisan than the average general election voters, Bush energized that group and defeated McCain (who was relying on moderates and crossover voters to vote for him). On top of that, McCain had accepted federal financing, and was running up against his spending limit (which would have left him defenseless for several months until the convention if he had knocked out Bush).

There's really no one like that in this election. Giuliani can appeal to the business and national security blocs in the Republican Party, but he's not really a friend to the evangelicals - and Huckabee is an evangelical, but he also leans populist, and isn't a friend to the business voters. They'd probably bow to either if either had a decisive victory in the primaries, but neither is a really appealing alternative to McCain.

One interesting note: Technically, tonight was not an election failure for Obama. He'll actually get the same amount of delegates as Hillary, since the race is so close.

Edited by Guardsman Bass

It was a tight race. Hillary needed this victory to revitalize her campaign. We must keep in mind though, that Iowa is in Obama's back yard and NH is in Hillary's. I look for Hillary to win in the New England states and Obama in the Mid-West. South Carolina should be an interesting race.

McCain is back in the running, he's a good experienced candidate imo and much more in tune with the issues we feel are important than Huckabee does.

It was a tight race. Hillary needed this victory to revitalize her campaign. We must keep in mind though, that Iowa is in Obama's back yard and NH is in Hillary's. I look for Hillary to win in the New England states and Obama in the Mid-West. South Carolina should be an interesting race.

McCain is back in the running, he's a good experienced candidate imo and much more in tune with the issues we feel are important than Huckabee does.

You know, Hill is originally from South/West Chicago Suberbs,IL. She's only a NY senator because she carpetbagged her way in.

It was a tight race between Obama and Clinton...

I think part of why she won in NH was her choking up on the ABC interview from January 7th found here

I don't see tears, but I hear her choking up a bit. Also she mentioned in the debate something about what the Clintons have done for New Hampshire etc. Can't find the debate transcript from Jan 5th but that might also be part of why she won.

I've been sort of rooting for Obama.. I just get an uneasy feel about Clinton -- I have a few thoughts as to why, but not important.

We have a LOOONG ways to go. Super Tuesday should be interesting. And like another said on this thread, at least Huckabee didn't win this time. (still have no idea wth was Iowa thinking when they voted for Huckabee. LOL )

Even more importantly, Huckabee DIDN'T win.

Well, Huckabee is tied with Romney in Michigan, winning South Carolina and tied with Guiliani in Florida.

Going into Super Tuesday voters will change their minds about this man and will vote to give him the nomination.

Hopefully!

For Obama... I like him better than Hillary but he really needed to win N.H. and the polls even had him up 10-12 percentage points in N.H. That 2nd place finish has cost him a great deal. Hillary will be the nominee I believe.

Edited by NiCkC818

If Hillary wins...LORD TAKE ME NOW!

:unsure2:

Looks like he ain't doing you the favor :P

Looks like he ain't doing you the favor :P

I like hillary this nation needs a lil compassion..and she cries on cue...

You know, Hill is originally from South/West Chicago Suberbs,IL. She's only a NY senator because she carpetbagged her way in.

Well then they should know better than anyone what a **ahem cough** nice lady she is.

I like hillary this nation needs a lil compassion..and she cries on cue...

i saw this clip of her crying on cue and blimey she wanting a statue or what, (golden globe) she must of read the script and thought, how does a old hag cry on tv on cue.

I have worked it out, they shoved bolts of electricity up her ass to get the desired effect :whistle:

Even though not American i think Clinton will be the right person for the Job, Obama, reminds me of a chap called Tony Blair when it comes to fresh thinking and promises, can switch on the public performace, witty, quick on the up take, entertaining, got charisma, charm, for these reasons alone i'd vote for someone else,

>< We should try not to think about it, Michelle.

It's going to be a very close race. That's how I see it.

=/

Edited by MoonPrincess