Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush demands end to 'occupation' of Palestine

questionmark

Bush demands end to 'occupation' of Palestine

By Tim Butcher in Jerusalem

Last Updated: 5:08pm GMT 10/01/2008

George W Bush today called for the end to the Israeli "occupation" of Palestine, in language that marks a hardening of his stance towards one of the United States' closest allies.

Speaking after meetings with Israeli and Palestinian leaders on his tour of the Middle East, the US president urged both sides to makes sacrifices to bring about peace.

"There should be an end to the occupation that began in 1967," Mr Bush told reporters.

"Now is the time to make difficult choices.

"The agreement must establish a Palestine as a homeland for the Palestinian people just as Israel is a homeland for the Jewish people."

He added: "I am confident that with proper help the state of Palestine will emerge."

Earlier, Mr Bush had called for an agreement on a Palestinian state by the time he leaves office, saying it must not be riddled like "Swiss cheese" with pockets of Israeli territory.

But Ehud Olmert, Israel's prime minister, used the opportunity of Mr Bush's Holy Land visit to state that Israel regards the larger settlements in the West Bank and those in Arab East Jerusalem as not up for negotiation.

Heavy morning fog grounded Mr Bush's helicopter forcing him to drive past Israeli military checkpoints, watchtowers and security walls to meet Mahmoud Abbas, the moderate Palestinian leader, in the West Bank city of Ramallah.

But Mr Bush won few Palestinian admirers when, during a press conference after the meeting, he joked about the security infrastructure.

"You'll be happy to hear that my motorcade of 45 cars was able to make it through without being stopped but I'm not exactly sure that's what happens to the average person," he said.

Palestinians complain bitterly that Israeli security measures choke all meaningful economic and social activity from the West Bank condemning their community to stagnation.

Mr Bush used the meeting to once again call for Mr Olmert and Mr Abbas to reach agreement on the creation of two separate, independent states, one Israeli and the other Palestinian, separated by fixed, unchallenged borders.

"Swiss cheese isn't going to work when it comes to the territory of a state," he said. "In order for there to be lasting peace ... Abbas and prime minister Olmert have to come together and make tough choices and I'm convinced they will.

Full story, Source: The Telegraph

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Guardsman Bass

• Lt_Ripley

• EmpressStarXVII

• questionmark

Top Posters In This Topic

And in a related topic:

Rightists flood King David hotel with faxes in protest of Bush visit

Letters addressed to US president urge him to release Pollard and refrain from advancing Israeli territorial concessions in Jerusalem as part of peace agreement with Palestinians

Roi Mandel

Published: 01.10.08, 17:03 / Israel News

The King David Hotel in Jerusalem, which is hosting US President George W. Bush and his entourage, has been flooded with faxes sent by right-wing activists protesting the negotiations on the establishment of a Palestinian state and a possible agreement on certain territorial concessions in the capital.

The faxes also urged the Americans to release Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard.

On Wednesday rightists were asked to send their letters directly to president Bush through the hotel's fax number, which was posted on the internet.

Hotel staff passed the letters on to the American delegation.

"I asked President Bush to free Pollard," Ilana Atiya told Ynet, "I wrote to him that there was no point in having dinner with Minister Rafi Eitan – who sent Pollard on his mission (during his days as a Mossad handler) – while Jonathan is still imprisoned. All Pollard did was send us information that was vital to our security; this information should have been sent to Israel by the American government in accordance with the pact signed between the countries."

Full story, Source: Ynetnews.com

Somebody pinch me, I'm dreaming.

wow, as much as I hate him, I gotta give him kudos for that.

who knew W could finally do the right thing.?

wait until Bob reads this.... :D

well i must say i am shocked :yes:

lmao chem i was thinking that too. but dared not say anything didnt want to be the one to ruin the momentum

Sounds like a President in need of a legacy. Or a different legacy, at least.

And in a related topic:

Rightists flood King David hotel with faxes in protest of Bush visit

Letters addressed to US president urge him to release Pollard and refrain from advancing Israeli territorial concessions in Jerusalem as part of peace agreement with Palestinians

Roi Mandel

Published: 01.10.08, 17:03 / Israel News

The King David Hotel in Jerusalem, which is hosting US President George W. Bush and his entourage, has been flooded with faxes sent by right-wing activists protesting the negotiations on the establishment of a Palestinian state and a possible agreement on certain territorial concessions in the capital.

The faxes also urged the Americans to release Israeli spy Jonathan Pollard.

On Wednesday rightists were asked to send their letters directly to president Bush through the hotel's fax number, which was posted on the internet.

Hotel staff passed the letters on to the American delegation.

"I asked President Bush to free Pollard," Ilana Atiya told Ynet, "I wrote to him that there was no point in having dinner with Minister Rafi Eitan – who sent Pollard on his mission (during his days as a Mossad handler) – while Jonathan is still imprisoned. All Pollard did was send us information that was vital to our security; this information should have been sent to Israel by the American government in accordance with the pact signed between the countries."

Full story, Source: Ynetnews.com

They like thr Spy game when they win, but when they loose they turn to whine aparently. I readed about the case, and found the life-long sentence apropiate.

Two things. First W didn't really dream up this speech. He's not smart. Second, he doesn't really know about geography. He probably believes Palestine is in Africa.

Lol... that was exactly what I thought. :yes:

Ah, so apparently as long as its helping Israel, it's okay to flout US law! You've got to love the mentality of some of the Israeli right-wing people. :rolleyes:

This is a good start for Bush, but I hope he actually follows it up with real action. The problem is that the Israelis have frequently been talking out of both sides of their mouths - they go into negotiation after negotiation looking for peace, but at the same time their law enforcement simply sits on the sidelines whenever some hard right settlers go and set themselves up on somebody else's land in the West Bank. At the same time, the Palestinian authorities have dodged repeatedly around giving up the right of return, which is essentially the precondition that has to happen for any peace with Israel to stick, since many in the Palestinian camp would rise up with a hue and cry.

Edited by Kismit
language

Yes dear Empress .. let's just hope this is not "just a dream" . I couldn't believe my ears when i heard him say that !!

The truth , at last !

When I read the first line I choked on my drink.

He probably believes Palestine is in Africa.

Then it came out of my nose. :blink:

Kismit, are you guys manually editing posts now? I thought the site had a built-in censor that edited curse words, covering them up with asterisks.

If I might add, there is another good reason as to why the Palestinian state must be continuous. If the prospective state of Palestine is to have any hope of getting rid of its economic dependence on Israel, it will need the ability to effectively take measures across its whole territory, without the disruptions to economic integration caused by the Israeli checkpoints and settlements.

too true , bad enough he's going down as the worst pres we've had. now he want a but to add at the end of it " yeah , but ........" lol and he's got to have somethng to fill up the space next to the coloring book in his library.

Edited by Lt_Ripley

He's just trying to save his lame legacy.... this will probably be his only chance.

I certainly don't think this warmonger President is doing this because of a guilty conscience - heck NO! .. it's for his legacy and nothing more.

Edited by Cinders

He's just trying to save his lame legacy.... this will probably be his only chance.

I certainly don't think this warmonger President is doing this because of a guilty conscience - heck NO! .. it's for his legacy and nothing more.

It's going to take more than condemning the occupation of Palestine to change his legacy. Now if he were to say something along the lines of Iraq, I see the history books in his favor; which they always are anyway with small snip-it's of "criticism".

7 years into an 8 year presidency he suddenly wants a continuous Palestine as a legacy ? Too little too late, I hope no-one is holding their breath on this one.

Bush needs to keep his nose out of other peoples business before he buries the country in a deeper mud hole then they already are...

huh? these have been his strongest words, but you guys are full of crap if you think this the only bit of work the Bush admin has made towards the Israel/Palestine conflict.

Want to know why earlier efforts didn't amount to much? because the Palestinians and Israelis keep screwing things up.

this is a legacy saving move...the hard line israelis wont go for this..