Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 11 votes

The Paranormal is it Fake?

• Please log in to reply
852 replies to this topic

#31    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 30 May 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

If you introduce yourself and I shake your hand... You are going to have an irrefutable experience that I exist weather everyone else says I do not it not. You could be personally dishonest and accept the drivel that you imagined me or I am the product of your delusion, but you would know that it's not true.

This is a good example to talk about Seeker, thanks.  Depending on possible circumstances, no it is not irrefutable that my experience accurately reflects what actually happened.  I realize that most people probably did not indulge as recklessly as I did when I was in college, but you do know that people do hallucinate, many involuntarily?  Perception and memory are not at all perfect, and I can provide loads of scientific evidence to support this.

Now your example is fairly basic and commonplace, if this occurred agreed, we would probably be dishonest or whatever if we denied it.  But let's start applying some of the attributes of the evidence for the paranormal to the scenario, and feel free to say if you disagree with any of the analogies I'm making.  What if I told someone that we met and they were interested in knowing more about what you have to say; in this reality I would tell them to join UM and search for your posts, but there is no analogy for that when analyzing paranormal evidence, plenty of people have gone to places where ghosts supposedly were after the fact and found nothing.  So it's like me telling someone I met you but I can produce no other evidence that you actually exist or did exist. (the example starts to break down a little here, there are reasons I should expect to be able to verify your existence that do not apply to the paranormal which is by definition elusive and hard to detect, I acknowledge that)  The person has to believe that I am interpreting the experience I had correctly, which is a big assumption since it sure appears to me that people misinterpreting their experiences is not rare unless we are to believe anything anyone claims, which is not possible since some of it is contradictory.  And obviously if people who were in the room when we met deny that I ever shook hands with you or anyone, then despite my experience I absolutely do not know it is true.

I accept black holes exist because I have had an irrefutable experience with the evidences laid before me by scientists. I accept that gravity exists because I have skinned my knee. I accet that the spirit works exists because I have been there seen it and interacted with its inhabitants.

Gravity and black holes are external to just anyone's 'personal experience' though, no one really questions that these exist.  Lots and lots of people say that there is a spirit world they can interact with, and many of those people (psychics, speakers-with-the-dead) are providing no evidence that they actually are according to the things they say they can do based on this contact.  Now that does not mean that all of them are fakes and doesn't mean that you haven't actually been to the spirit world, but what does it say about the quality of the evidence of the 'I've had a personal experience that no one but me can examine' sort?

To me this is really a core question and the thing I'm most curious about with these types of paranormal or religious claims.  Yes I'm skeptical about lots of things, I try to apply that rigorously to the things I myself believe, but I understand that not everyone will draw the line the same as I will regarding what constitutes 'evidence'.  But the thing that I don't get is how you are avoiding letting in everyone's personal experience as being 'evidence' then if we're going to be consistent, how can theirs be disregarded but yours must be 'irrefutable'?  Maybe I'm making a bad assumption, maybe you think that anyone's truth claims based on nothing examinable except what they believe they experienced are actually true.  I'm not sure how that can be since billions of people believe Jesus was the son of God, another billion think he was just a prophet, and the remainder just think he was a man or didn't even exist; he can't be all four of these things.  You believe that you've been to the spirit world and I'm going to presume that there is nothing physically to verify that, we have to believe your interpretation of the experience, that is the evidence.  This is precisely the case for all kinds of other claims that we know can't simultaneously be true, and depending on what you believe about them, you may also believe not to be true.  You can say things like, "I know what happened" and "you can't know unless you've experienced it" and so on, and those are also exactly what other people who believe in things that can't be true also say.  So it appears that there are many other people who are also having experiences that they 'know' are supernatural that are not actually true, it is not that unusual apparently, so in the face of that, how can we say that your specific experience is 'irrefutable', short of special pleading?

I understand it completely actually and I don't really fault people for it, but there is quit a bit of lazyness to their bias. once they are convinced they stop thinking critically and stop looking deeper and cling to their bias with a strong case of cognitive dissonance much like religious fundamentalism actually.  There is empirical evidence that materialistic philosophy is completely false, but yet again cognitive dissonance has its way with people.

Okay, so you are apparently getting telepathic messages concerning other people's psychology from the spirit world also?  If not, please provide your reasoning and evidence and psychological expertise supporting your accusations of 'bias'.  I seriously doubt you have this expertise as you are not using 'cognitive dissonance' correctly.  You can look it up, but cognitive dissonance is the discomfort one feels from holding two conflicting ideas or values or whatnot; it is not something you say that someone else has, they themselves have to say that they are experiencing the discomfort.

Logical and rational!!!!! This is funny when I hear people assume that their world view has monopolized rationality or what is logical.

I didn't hear anyone do that.  I just asked you if it made any rational/logical sense to you why people do not believe in the immaterial.  I didn't assume anything so I have no idea what you're talking about here.

Logic has very specific set of rules.

Logic does not have just one definition.

There is nothing illogical about a non physical reality or believing in spirits, gods, or other things, nor is it irational.

Is it rational to believe things are true solely based on other people's interpretation of their own personal experience?  Do you do that consistently?  If you agree that some people must be misinterpreting, then are you really so sure that you cannot be?

Materialists are under another assumption that their world view is more logical and more rational than other premisies, this is an assuming tge conclusion fallacy. Indeed some materialist positions are indeed over certain beliefs, but that not the end of logic or rationality. orbs in pictures are a great case. Obviously their is an easy to tell material explanation. But this is not true for deeper phenomenon and other things even if the materialist wants to explaine away everything with their brand brand of philosophy.

I don't think I want to really go much further concerning 'materialism', but despite your own presumptions I don't take materialism as an assumption, I've taken it tentatively as a conclusion.

It would not be the most ground breaking discovery in history. It's already been discovered ages ago. Well over 80-90% of the world already accepts that a non physical reality exists albeit not necessarily through critical thinking much like many materialists. ( note: I'm not using band wagon logic I'm only pointing out that materialists right or wrong are in the minority)

Really?  Not sure where you live, but has this discovery of the spirit world managed to make it into your school curriculum yet?  Ha, I'm not going to brag about the US education system, but it sure is a curious omission that this discovery was never mentioned.  Matter of fact last I knew there was still considerable, and sometimes violent, disagreement on what exactly is going on in this spirit world, but apparently we can be assured that there is one despite this.  Or something.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#32    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostLiquid Gardens, on 30 May 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

Really?  Not sure where you live, but has this discovery of the spirit world managed to make it into your school curriculum yet?  Ha, I'm not going to brag about the US education system, but it sure is a curious omission that this discovery was never mentioned.

It wasn't part of the curriculum but in high school a teacher taught us that ESP was a proven scientific fact. I now believe she had mistakenly thought that the unbelievably uncontrolled ESP experiments that took place in the 70's were actually science.

#33    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 30 May 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

"Paranormal" covers a lot, Felix; ghosts, demons, aliens, psychic powers etc. but a thread like this is overdue. Since I got here, we can't have a thread without somebody derailing it into a debate. I often see claims that science doesn't bother researching life after death because it's a medieval concept but...

http://www.psycholog...idence-says-yes

Ah....evidence suggests the soul exists.

C'mon now skeptics, let's not push our own beliefs and ignore important evidence..

Edited by Heaven Is A Halfpipe, 30 May 2013 - 09:12 PM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#34    chad87chad

chad87chad

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

thousands of people all over the world have had stories to tell about paranormal. why is it that people don't see ghost demons ect. to be a natural thing off this world. what makes it to be a bad thing or a good thing for a start. you say where is the evidence. but when a photo or a film is posted the first thing skeptics say is bu#%sh*%. the only time you will be satisfied is when it happened's to you. us human are only new to this world and we are still learning new things every day. plus science is a method but they also have made a lot of mistakes in the past. but you cant put aside the possibility of paranormal existing. by the way how do you know that its a dragon in your garage when its invincible.

#35    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

View Postscowl, on 30 May 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

But predominance of absence of evidence is reasonable grounds for a conclusion until evidence is discovered that contradicts this conclusion. That's because there are a finite number of things that exist yet there is an infinite number of things that don't exist.

And as we're trying to tell you, a proper hypothesis must be falsifiable. "Prove that something doesn't exist" is not falsifiable therefore it is not a valid hypothesis in the Scientific Method. Until you understand that, don't try to pass your argument as being scientific.

http://itthing.com/c...ory-time-travel
What happened to there being nothing to support the belief in the paranormal?

Conclusions based on absense of evidence are based on deductive thinking or opinions, not facts.. Therefor one cannot present these as facts, and as I am asking for facts one cannot present an opinion as an answer to my question.

Falsifiability was one person's requirement of a hypothesis, this person existed in the 20th century and their personal belief was not adopted as an official part of the Scientific Method.

We are still arguing semantics. If someone asks me to prove that my wallet does not exist in my pocket I would simply empty my pocket while recording the data.
(Thus ruling out the possibility of the wallet actually being there, which would then provide an answer as to whether or not my wallet exists in my pocket)

If someone says prove that the paranormal does not exist, all you have to do is prove that their is no possibility of such a thing existing.
(It has already been claimed as fact that it does not exist so why is this hard? Simply show us the experiment where the possibility was ruled out)

Go ahead, I will wait. Oh and for the record, it's highly coincidental that the belief in something requires scientific proof but the disbelief in the same does not require such..

Edited by xFelix, 30 May 2013 - 09:47 PM.

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.

#36    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,513 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

We are encountering the expanding arguments phenomenon here forgive me if it's difficult to keep up on my little iPhone.  There are some good points here.... But.

Perception and memory are not at all perfect, and I can provide loads of scientific evidence to support this.

Of course they are not, and I have looked at all that evidence, have you. If you actually pay attention to the studies you would see the silly notions of scientists finding little cognitive gaps in the way people perceive things and applying them to the data set as a whole is completely fallacious. for example the god helmet... What a silly notion it is to stimulate the part of the brain associated with a 'presence' and when the person experiences a 'presence' to then say... See their presences are not real. Of course they are real. The only thing demonstrated was that some CAN feel an artificial presence, it says nothing about the reason for it happening. Talk about cognitive gaps. It's completely asinine to assume that because something can happen that it always does.

But let's start applying some of the attributes of the evidence for the paranormal to the scenario, and feel free to say if you disagree with any of the analogies I'm making.  What if I told someone that we met and they were interested in knowing more about what you have to say; in this reality I would tell them to join UM and search for your posts, but there is no analogy for that when analyzing paranormal evidence, plenty of people have gone to places where ghosts supposedly were after the fact and found nothing.  So it's like me telling someone I met you but I can produce no other evidence that you actually exist or did exist

Your examples are fine, the problem is that there are a range of phenomenon... Some of which in my eyes have no credibility, others I have become certain of. You are committing the same fallacy here you are assuming one bit of data fits all. Seeing ghosts in a haunted house is orders different than say NDEs.  Also, with practice, Its entirely possible for you to go into the spirit world and wittness what others have. Millions actually... my ancestry is full of native Americans who have done, and I tutor people right here on um myself With some success.  If you are not willing to read the book how can you possibly be educated?. How do you know what it's like to run a marathon if you don't train for it? If there is an avenue of discovery, but all you do is turn your nose to it and say "not possible", what can you possibly learn when your hat is hung on one brand of philosophy.

I didn't hear anyone do that.  I just asked you if it made any rational/logical sense to you why people do not believe in the immaterial.  I didn't assume anything so I have no idea what you're talking about here.

Il have to look back, I may have projected that onto you from others with similar arguments, but spiritual benefits are constantly being labeled as irrational and illogical when in fact they are not. Of course it does as I mentioned this is when people get lazy. Religious and materialist alike. Materialism is no longer a valid scientific view as prooven by quantum mechanics. There absolutely is imaterial framework giving rise to what we experience as material. Hands down slam dunk it's proving beyond any doubt. this is what I mean by cognative dissonance. A materialist will look the evidence square in the face and dance around it any way they can because they have so much invested in their works view. They are uncomfortable with it. They deni it totally and will even ignore it. This is what happens in cults when a cult leader goes to far yet the followed still follow despite knowing its wrong. It is at least the way I have seen the term used.

I realize you don't want to get into it, but it is at the crux of the matter.

http://en.m.wikipedi...tive_dissonance

I don't think I want to really go much further concerning 'materialism', but despite your own presumptions I don't take materialism as an assumption, I've taken it tentatively as a conclusion.

And here in lies part of the problem. Though you say "tentatively" ( a sensible precaution), you are approaching the problem backwards. You cannot have a conclusion in mind when you approach a problem it places a set of goggles on you that is difficult to take off. Our beliefs are built upon experiences no matter what, if you are whereing  thick goggles and come face to face with something you are going to filter it. It works both ways of course, but why not not have a conclusion and take in all the available information. This is not what happens. Materialist  hang their hats on one philosophical conclusion, so a spirit can grab them by the ankles a yank them right out of their body ( this happens by the way) and the only conclusion is it was a hallucination because these things are impossible. They then seek the help of a doctor who has never had the experience and is very well trained ( and rightly so ) and indoctrinated into materialism. Do you not see the problem here.

As for the rest....

The discovery was made by shaman ages ago, it's not in the primary school system because it's a difficult and touchy subject, but rest assured it is in the cariculum of higher education where it belongs, you can probably sign up for a class at your local JC. Religions fight over doctrine not what happens in the spirit world most of them have doctrine and scare tactics to not empower people to discover for themselves.

I probably missed a few things I'm in a rush.... :D

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#37    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

View PostxFelix, on 30 May 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Conclusions based on absense [sic] of evidence are based on deductive thinking or opinions, not facts.. Therefor one cannot present these as facts, and as I am asking for facts one cannot present an opinion as an answer to my question.

Does gravity work? We have not found a case where gravity didn't work but by your logic, this absence of evidence is not enough to conclude that gravity works.

Falsifiability was one person's requirement of a hypothesis, this person existed in the 20th century and their personal belief was not adopted as an official part of the Scientific Method.

By all means, go ahead and do your version of "science" with unfalsifiable hypothesizes and see how much knowledge you gain from your experiments. If an experiment can't have a true or false outcome, that undermines the very point of the Scientific Method.

If someone says prove that the paranormal does not exist, all you have to do is prove that their [sic] is no possibility of such a thing existing.

Which, as we've said over and over, is impossible.

(It has already been claimed as fact that it does not exist so why is this hard? Simply show us the experiment where the possibility was ruled out)

What in God's Holy Strawman do you keep referring to??? No one has ever claimed that the paranormal doesn't exist much less claimed to have proved it!!!

Go ahead, I will wait. Oh and for the record, it's highly coincidental that the belief in something requires scientific proof but the disbelief in the same does not require such..

The absence of belief is not disbelief. Science is based on probabilities. It is very likely that gravity will continue to work. The electrical charge of an electron is probably going to stay the same. We have no proof of these things but a preponderance of experimental evidence has made us conclude these facts.

#38    xFelix

xFelix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

• Yea I'm Pagan, oh no!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

View Postscowl, on 30 May 2013 - 10:28 PM, said:

What in God's Holy Strawman do you keep referring to??? No one has ever claimed that the paranormal doesn't exist much less claimed to have proved it!!!

The absence of belief is not disbelief. Science is based on probabilities. It is very likely that gravity will continue to work. The electrical charge of an electron is probably going to stay the same. We have no proof of these things but a preponderance of experimental evidence has made us conclude these facts.

What am I referring to?

View Postg00dfella, on 03 May 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

Next time don't walk into that wardrobe...

View Postshrooma, on 26 May 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

guess our intergalactic cousins've got fed up with boring out cow's asses & abducting cletus 'n his friends.....
:-)

View PostSakari, on 28 May 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

The ones who " say " it is in the head have proof, facts, and backed up facts from the Medical Profession.

The ones who say it is real have nothing but claims.

View PostP4UL N0153, on 29 May 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

An experience is a wholly subjective episode, based solely on the observation of whomever witnesses the event. Understanding of an unexplained experience can only be gained through one of two methods. Faith or fact. Faith too, is subjective. Facts are merely an agreed upon explanation until such a time as it is disproved or improved, yes?

Etc.. Etc... Etc....

disbelief - the inability or refusal to believe or to accept something as true.
Courtesy: http://dictionary.re...e/disbelief?s=t
So yes, the absence of belief is disbelief.

Dang this evidence proving that the paranormal is fake must be top secret, nobody wants to present it.. Even though many come to the conclusion that it is not real, and even go as far as being condescending to those who do believe it to exist....

Always an excuse and a reason as to why someone can't prove something to not exist.. Weird.

If you make a claim that something is not real, prove that it is not. Otherwise you are just as right as the person saying that it is real without being able to prove that it is. The difference is believers in the paranormal don't routinely crash skeptic discussions making a mockery of the skeptic point of view, while skeptics seem to love invading subjects of which they don't believe in and using sarcasm as a weapon to mock and humiliate all those who are not skeptical with them.

Edited by xFelix, 30 May 2013 - 11:39 PM.

My posts consist of my opinions, beliefs, and experiences, feel free to disagree in a respectful manner.

I have a right to my beleifs, just as you have a right to not agree with them.

So long as we respect each other's beliefs, we won't have a single problem.

#39    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:19 AM

View PostxFelix, on 30 May 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

So according to your statement, many things that people believe to be paranormal actually have a possibility of existing, but none of this can be proven?
(These are the grounds by which most believers justify their beliefs by the way, there is a possibility they are right...)

Oh I see, so what about the verifiable evidence people keep saying they have that proves that these things absolutely do not exist?
(These are the grounds by which most skeptics tend to condescend onto believers...)

Again, not having verifiable evidence is not proper grounds for a conclusion. For one to arrive at a proper scientific conclusion one must absolutely prove their hypothesis true or false. Blank is not true or false. If one cannot arrive at true, one must then attempt to prove false, if they cannot prove false they must then settle for an inconclusive finding. This is how scientific method works.

By the way if we were to jump in a time capsule and I took you back 10 years and you said the same about Greenland Sharks you'd feel horrified at the thought that 10 years later it would be another thing that could be real, that was later proven to be real... Oh and for the record, there was also no reason to believe a Greenland Shark could exist because sharks do not thrive in waters that cold.. Until now. (And that's talking about an actual animal that doesn't exist in another dimension)

Yet we are still arguing semantics, show me the proof conclusively saying none of this exists. I don't want people to argue that there is a possibility it doesn't exist, or there are more logical things to believe in..(Because I agree, there is a possibility some of this doesn't exist, and there are more logical things to believe in, but my experiences tell me otherwise) There are countless threads where people say these things absolutely do not exist, and they have proof to back up their claims.. Present THAT.

This is so utterly wrong I am not even sure where to start.  For one, it is not a hypothesis that something doesn't exist.  That is a negative statement and could be a null hypothesis to ultimately prove something indeed does exists, but that doesn't seem to be what you are trying to say.  You do not need absolute prove in the positive or negative to have proper grounds to make a conclusion.  If that was the case than nothing would ever move forward.  Science is not out to prove the truth and the absolute truth is never reached.  You can aproach it very close, but there is always room for new information.  Just because some things exists that were once thought not to exist does not prove anything other than that when new information, reliable information is provided scientific understanding changes in accordance.

#40    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

Some of the notorious all knowing skeptics sure are quiet...

Still evidence suggesting an immortal soul ignored!

Guess the truth really does hurt.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

#41    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostxFelix, on 30 May 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

Let's keep the thread simple, show me proof the Paranormal doesn't exist. Use verifiable sources, and if you're not an actual doctor don't make diagnostic theories you are not qualified to make.

James Randi has been offering people a million dollars to do the same thing. If it was out there, I have a feeling he would know before anyone on this thread.

Still has his millions dollars though. And many failures who claim they were cheated, but they do not seem to be able to prove that lol.

Challenge Info Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Static Written by JREF Staff    Posted Image

The Foundation is committed to providing reliable information about paranormal claims. It both supports and conducts original research into such claims.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

To date, no one has passed the preliminary tests.

Click here to see the application.

Click here to see the current $1 million statement which shows the current amount in our prize account.

Frequently Asked Questions

The Log of Applicants

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#42    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 31 May 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

James Randi has been offering people a million dollars to do the same thing. If it was out there, I have a feeling he would know before anyone on this thread.

Still has his millions dollars though. And many failures who claim they were cheated, but they do not seem to be able to prove that lol.

Challenge Info Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Static Written by JREF Staff   Posted Image

The Foundation is committed to providing reliable information about paranormal claims. It both supports and conducts original research into such claims.

At JREF, we offer a one-million-dollar prize to anyone who can show, under proper observing conditions, evidence of any paranormal, supernatural, or occult power or event. The JREF does not involve itself in the testing procedure, other than helping to design the protocol and approving the conditions under which a test will take place. All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test. Preliminary tests are usually conducted by associates of the JREF at the site where the applicant lives. Upon success in the preliminary testing process, the "applicant" becomes a "claimant."

To date, no one has passed the preliminary tests.
Click here to see the application.
Click here to see the current $1 million statement which shows the current amount in our prize account.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Log of Applicants

"If the Prize is awarded, this would not mean that the JREF acknowledges the existence of the supernatural."

It seems you don't even understand the nature of the experiments...

#43    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,513 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

Is a publicity gimmick. You would not even know who James Randi is without it.

Brilliant marketing actually.

Edited by Seeker79, 31 May 2013 - 04:15 AM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#44    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 30 May 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

We are encountering the expanding arguments phenomenon here forgive me if it's difficult to keep up on my little iPhone.  There are some good points here.... But.

And Seeker also said:

It's completely asinine to assume that because something can happen that it always does.

You are committing the same fallacy here you are assuming one bit of data fits all.

If there is an avenue of discovery, but all you do is turn your nose to it and say "not possible", what can you possibly learn when your hat is hung on one brand of philosophy.

A materialist will look the evidence square in the face and dance around it any way they can because they have so much invested in their works view. They are uncomfortable with it

This is what happens in cults when a cult leader goes to far yet the followed still follow despite knowing its wrong.

you are approaching the problem backwards. You cannot have a conclusion in mind when you approach a problem it places a set of goggles on you that is difficult to take off.

They then seek the help of a doctor who has never had the experience and is very well trained and indoctrinated into materialism.

You seem much more interested in talking about the assumptions that you have assumed (ha) that I have made rather than what I'm actually saying.  I'd go with expanding arguments phenomenon, if they follow what is being discussed, over the expanding strawmen phenomenon any day.

Of course they are not, and I have looked at all that evidence, have you. If you actually pay attention to the studies you would see the silly notions of scientists finding little cognitive gaps in the way people perceive things and applying them to the data set as a whole is completely fallacious. for example the god helmet... What a silly notion it is to stimulate the part of the brain associated with a 'presence' and when the person experiences a 'presence' to then say... See their presences are not real. Of course they are real. The only thing demonstrated was that some CAN feel an artificial presence, it says nothing about the reason for it happening. Talk about cognitive gaps. It's completely asinine to assume that because something can happen that it always does.

I agree that is asinine, haven't seen any scientists do it though.  And I seriously doubt that you have the expertise to evaluate studies on cognition.

Seeing ghosts in a haunted house is orders different than say NDEs.  

Well in a fairly fundamental way they are not orders different, neither has been demonstrated or shown to actually be 'real' as far as a spirit world existing, despite people interpreting their experiences that way.

If you are not willing to read the book how can you possibly be educated?.

What book, what are you talking about?

If there is an avenue of discovery, but all you do is turn your nose to it and say "not possible", what can you possibly learn when your hat is hung on one brand of philosophy.

Thankfully I never said that so as is becoming all too common, you are talking to the LG that exists in your head.  Why is it so difficult to actually respond to what I said rather than acting like I'm biased against the immaterial?  I'm 'biased' against the immaterial to the same degree you are biased against leprechauns, and for the exact same reasons.

Il have to look back, I may have projected that onto you from others with similar arguments, but spiritual benefits are constantly being labeled as irrational and illogical when in fact they are not.

I think terminology is important; I haven't heard of anyone saying that spiritual 'benefits' are irrational or illogical, just that the idea that these 'benefits' are actually derived from a spirit world may be irrational.  People can and do derive benefits from falsehoods.

Of course it does as I mentioned this is when people get lazy. Religious and materialist alike. Materialism is no longer a valid scientific view as prooven by quantum mechanics. There absolutely is imaterial framework giving rise to what we experience as material. Hands down slam dunk it's proving beyond any doubt. this is what I mean by cognative dissonance. A materialist will look the evidence square in the face and dance around it any way they can because they have so much invested in their works view. They are uncomfortable with it. They deni it totally and will even ignore it. This is what happens in cults when a cult leader goes to far yet the followed still follow despite knowing its wrong. It is at least the way I have seen the term used.

How about we stop pretending that we can psychoanalyze people we don't really know, and that people who disagree with you are 'uncomfortable' and cultish?  If you really need to do that, you should do that after you've actually addressed the detailed arguments.  I know I'm verbose in my posts sometimes but I do that for a reason:  I try to lay out the specific steps in my thinking so that someone who disagrees with me can say, "LG, I agree with statements 1 and 2, but I think you're wrong on statement 3 and here's why".  It helps to establish the groundwork and the agreed-upon points from which differences can be analyzed.  You'd apparently prefer to sidestep all that and instead provide your amateur diagnosis of how people who disagree with you are biased in their thinking; I'm not sure you realize that I could provide similar assertions about deficits in your thinking and your biases on this topic but I won't as it's a bad, unevidenced, irrational argument.  Unless you really think you can get all that detailed information about people you don't know from a few posts, which is ridiculous.

I realize you don't want to get into it, but it is at the crux of the matter.

http://en.m.wikipedi...tive_dissonance

I don't want to get into a discussion of 'materialism', and you provide a link to cognitive dissonance supporting what I already said about how you are not using that term correctly (although I agree that you are using the term how other people have also used it, incorrectly)?

And here in lies part of the problem. Though you say "tentatively" ( a sensible precaution), you are approaching the problem backwards. You cannot have a conclusion in mind when you approach a problem it places a set of goggles on you that is difficult to take off. Our beliefs are built upon experiences no matter what, if you are whereing  thick goggles and come face to face with something you are going to filter it. It works both ways of course, but why not not have a conclusion and take in all the available information. This is not what happens. Materialist  hang their hats on one philosophical conclusion, so a spirit can grab them by the ankles a yank them right out of their body ( this happens by the way) and the only conclusion is it was a hallucination because these things are impossible. They then seek the help of a doctor who has never had the experience and is very well trained ( and rightly so ) and indoctrinated into materialism. Do you not see the problem here.

Yes, I do see a very glaring problem:  you've basically ignored what I said and continue beating the straw out of something I didn't say.  I specifically said I don't take 'materialism' as an assumption and you just provide the above as if I think it is an assumption.  A tentative conclusion from the evidence is not the same as an assumption, evidence of a spirit world could come any day; I, and centuries of humanity, have been watching for some good evidence of its actual existence but still not much has been produced yet.

The discovery was made by shaman ages ago, it's not in the primary school system because it's a difficult and touchy subject, but rest assured it is in the cariculum of higher education where it belongs, you can probably sign up for a class at your local JC.

It's not in the primary school system because no spirit world of any sort has ever been shown or demonstrated to actually exist.  You can learn about what religions believe, yes, in almost any college, but that doesn't mean it's true; you can learn about Shakespeare too but it doesn't mean that his plays are fully accurate historically.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#45    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

After capturing "orbs" on camera at a healing session that he couldn't explain with dust particles, flash anomalies, water particles etc Professor Heinemann, a researcher for NASA, says:

'There is no doubt in my mind that the orbs may well be one of the most significant "outside of this reality" phenomena mankind has ever witnessed. Until now, there has been a huge amount of anecdotal evidence that the spirit world exists. I believe it's no longer anecdotal. Thanks to digital technology, we can see it for the first time. We are dealing with a non-physical - albeit real - phenomenon.'

(continued) The temptation, of course, is to dismiss such claims as bunkum. Indeed, many of Professor Heinemann's colleagues consider his research to be 'utter flaky nonsense'. And yet a growing number of respectable scientists refuse to write off the possibility that these orbs, which are starting to appear on cameras around the world, just might offer a fascinating glimpse into the unknown. Earlier this year (2007), the world's first conference on orbs took place in Sedona, Arizona, where several scientists controversially stated that they believed orbs were indeed a genuine paranormal phenomenon. Professor William Tiller, a theoretical physicist who spent 35 years researching consciousness and matter at Stanford University in California, reminded the conference that what we see with our physical eyes comprises less then 10 per cent of the known universe. This is because human vision operates only within a limited range of the electromagnetic spectrum. For instance, we cannot see radio waves, which carry huge amounts of information, yet we know they exist.

http://www.dailymail...s-DO-exist.html

So much for the notion that no scientists study or believe in a paranormal explanation...will we ignore this also skeptics?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users