Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Same-sex Marriage Bill passes

The Id3al Experience

I think a lot of countries will start passing it. Should anyway, what does it hurt.

• Like 2

Gay couples should be allowed to marry and have the same rights as Heterosexual couples, a big pat on the back for the NZ parliament and one in the eye for the religious homophobic lobby.

• Like 3

This is the kind of bills we want passed. :tu:

• Like 4

This is wonderful, I love hearing news about good things that are happening in the world. This is definitely good news.

• Like 1

Since so many people here in the U.S. seem to be against gays marriage, we should just create a new form of it called "Parriage" that has all of the same legal rights, but churches can refuse to perform for. Then the whole "Marriage is between a man and a women" garbage will become moot.

One of our local churches is having a ceremony for a gay couple. It won't be official or legal, but it's going to be a big event.

• Like 1

My nephew and his husband have been together over 30 years. I think they have earned the right to be married. I'm sorry, but I think to call it anything else would be a slap in the face.

• Like 4

My nephew and his husband have been together over 30 years. I think they have earned the right to be married. I'm sorry, but I think to call it anything else would be a slap in the face.

That is awesome. They do deserve to be married and have all the rights and recognition of a married couple.

However, the whole being together for 30 years part makes me want to faint. I couldn't image being with anyone for that long.

That is awesome. They do deserve to be married and have all the rights and recognition of a married couple.

However, the whole being together for 30 years part makes me want to faint. I couldn't image being with anyone for that long.

ikr, thats almost twice my age.

Plenty of straight people get married without the intent of having kids though. What if the woman is 50+ years old? Is she only allowed to marry if she can give birth?

• Like 2

I think marriage has evolved into love.

Yes, it may have started for childbirth purposes, but now, marriage is so much more than that.

Even if the conservatives brought that up, it's just about as ridiculous as fighting the "between man and woman" card.

For the time being, we still have a choice on who we marry and who we love. And in modern day society, a large majority marry for love and not so much baby making purposes.

Let freedom ring!

• Like 2

The way I see it though is imagine if in the future people forgot that handicapped parking spaces were only for handicapped people, and then people started to say it was "unequal", forgetting the reason for their existence...so then there was a movement to allow non-handicapped people to use them. Sounds silly at first but it shows how semantic distortion can warp perceptions over time. Granted it would be more obvious but I can't think of a better analogy. Understand though how frustrated I am when someone claims I am "anti-equality" for my views, they don't understand how I see it from my own worldview - but as I said, I concede that modern conservatives have no moral highground and in a way deserve to lose for being such banal idiots.

I think that analogy is wrong, Imo.

Comparing gay marriage and handycap parks is apples and oranges. Handycap people need them spaces so it is not far away from the areas they are trying to get to.

A man and a Woman, do not NEED to have a marriage only to them.... Its makes no difference.

What it comes down to for me is, I don't know what gives any person the right to choose who somebody else picks to love or marry. If they aren't trying to force you into a relationship of any kind, what difference does it make to you?

And the handicapped parking analogy was awful.

All legalizing same sex marriage is doing, is showing people that they have a choice. It's not a requirement.

But if your heart chooses someone of the same sex, the more power to you.

• Like 1

In the past........

This is the key phrase. Societies move on. That's how progress is made.

• Like 3

Good on you New Zealand. :)

Edit: I'm just not sure what this has to do with philosophy or pyschology.

Edited by Likely Guy

If you believe marriage is about love then it makes sense to marry gays too.

But it has to do with childbirth, so it makes no sense whatsoever. It was originally conceived to celebrate bringing life into the world, and the economic benefits as a privilege towards those ends.

If it was still about childbirth, infertile couples could never get married. Unfortunately some people are still living in the past.

The way I see it though is imagine if in the future people forgot that handicapped parking spaces were only for handicapped people, and then people started to say it was "unequal", forgetting the reason for their existence...

No, you have it backwards. The majority are not handicapped this analogy would make more sense if it was the handicapped people who wanted to be entitled to the same benefits as the non-handicapped. Edited by Rlyeh

Hurray for New Zealand, good on them for voting this in!

In the past people didn't get married if they weren't going to have kids.

As has been said, the keywords in there are 'in the past'. The past is full of things that we'd not want back (ie slavery). You can't use the past to justify anything, because that ignores the realities of the now. It's also important to note 'in the past' that marital rape was legal and you couldn't divorce someone even if they were being abusive. Should we wind marriage back to a state where those things were acceptable? After all, that's what marriage was in the past and that's what matters right?

Bringing kids into it always puzzles me. Why? Well first, you don't need to get married to have kids. Marriage doesn't unlock the ability to have kids, so that arguement is (again) a moot one. An important thing to remember is that childrearing is more important than child birth. Infertile couples marry and adopt children (or opt for surrogacy/IVF) and they do it because they want children, not that they're required to do so to have ther marriage validated.

Since your view is marriage is about childbirth, what about those infertile couples that have children through those means?

The logic you use will, eventually, be consigned to the past.

Edited by shadowhive
  • Like 1

You are missing the point because in a way what I am saying is that, from your perspective, it makes more sense to eliminate marriage entirely than to re-define it like that. I've heard many other analogies made but they do not make sense, for example:

"If you believe in traditional marriage, you might as well not want interracial couples to marry!" - this doesn't make sense because allowing two people of a different race to marry does not violate the intended purpose of marriage in the first place. Two people of different races can have children. You can have children without marital rape as well, so the principle is still intact. The reason why something exists is just as valid as the thing itself, at least when we're discussing tradition.

Equality for the sake of equality and at the expense of everything else is something that irritates me. Marriage was a really sentimental tradition because naturally we'd find childbirth sacred because you know, according to nature that is practically the core meaning of life, or one of them: Survival; and this is more real than any religion because it is in accords with nature. Looking at it that way I don't need the Bible to justify it, and I think anyone who does is confiding themselves to losing the debate anyway, which is one of the reasons I am irritated by Christian conservatives. They shoot themselves in the foot when they bring religion into any debate.

Now I need to emphasize that I have very different philosophical and ideological views than most people here; my worldview is entirely different so I can agree to disagree. I don't think on an individualistic basis, but an organic one.

You sound like you practically worship 'traditional marriage' as you see it.

The reason why something exists in the first place is important, but the thing itself should be able to adapt with the times. Marriage today is not what it was when it was first created and you seem disappointed in that. Go back in time to that time and you'd probably be diappointed in how marriage originally was.

Nature can't really be used as justfcation, because so little of what we do falls into the realm of 'natural'.

Marriage has been 'redefined' from it's original meaning. It's not going to go back any time soon. So I suggest you try and deal with that.

It is not moot because by this logic you don't agree with marriage anyway. You are saying that celebrating childbirth is irrelevant, ergo you are actually against marriage and you are really just advocating some unrelated civil union, but of course most of you also demand it be called marriage when it isn't for the sake of equality. In a way, no one in this thread actually believes in same-sex marriage, because the reason behind it is different.

No, I'm not saying celebrating childbirth is irrelevent at all. I am saying that, since gay people do want (and can have children) denying them marriage even with your logic makes no sense. Same for infertile couples.

Like I say, it takes more to being a parent than just birthing a child.

To make another example I've had on more than one occasion someone bring up that the Native Americans had "same-sex marriage"; some ritual to bond two people for purposes unbeknownst to me. This illustrates my point because whatever reason they did it was not the same reason we did, so even if we decided to call it marriage because we lacked a closer analogy, it is not the same thing. Semantic distortion once again.

...actually, come to think of it, if you don't actually agree with traditional marriage then you might as well not have civil unions anyway, because in western society the entire concept of bonding two people like that is from marriage; it was the tradition of marriage that decided to give monetary benefits and bring two people together for the purpose of celebrating procreation in the first place, and that is where the entire narrative comes from. Leftists warped the narrative intent-wise. If we started over and for whatever reason did not develop that tradition then we would not develop the concept of the civil union for anyone.

Ah, but we're not Native Americans are we?

I'm for the 'tradtional marriage' in the ense that I am for hetrosexual couples consentually marrying regardless of if they want or are able to produce children. Being pro-same sex marriage is not being 'against' that form of marriage.

If you want marriage to be for the purposes of child raising (not just child bearing) than youur arguement falls apart. Inferile and gay people can have children and denying their families the same rights doesn't seem fair on either the cuple of the children.

It seems odd that you venerate procreation and childbirth, yet not child raising.

Because modern society isn't logical. It thinks the principle of "equality" overcomes all other things, but that's another debate.

Is any society truly logical?

I'd rather have equality than none.

Edited by shadowhive
  • Like 1

Two separate issues here - legal state/government marriage and marriage recognized by a religious group

Legal state/government marriage gives each individual certain rights and decision making abilities. These include medical decisions, monetary decisions, legal decisions and the ability to execute these decisions regarding their partners. In short - its a legal contract. Any consenting citizen of legal age should have the same rights.

Religious marriage - symbolic only to that religion and it's adherents. No legal gains. Not recognized unless a governmental issued contract is executed by those with the authority FROM THE GOVERNMENT is issued.

So...legal marriage by NZ is AWESOME!

Don't really care what religions do.

Nibs

As part of an overall worldview? Sure, you could say that.

I don't like the mentality of the current times. So me "being okay with something adapting to modern times" is a moot point.

From my philosophical perspective my interpretation and definition of nature is consistent.

"You should accept things you do not like and not have any real principles."

It depend what you think the 'mentality' of the current time is.

I say that about nature because it's an odd attitude to use. We constantly fight against nature. Disease is 'natural' yet we work to eradicate it. We take drugs to lessen pain. Practically everything about our lives is 'unnatural' by some definition or other. But then I'm not sure which definition you're using.

There's nothing wrong with having principles but whwn you have a principle that' not sensible (ie if you thought black people were an inferior race) than that' one you should dicard.

This may be the only thing close to a point anyone has actually made here, but the reason why people support gay marriage is still for the wrong reasons. I don't oppose gay marriage to oppose gays, I oppose it to be consistent with supporting marriage that at least matches the core principle definition of it.

Allowing multiracial couples to marry does not contradict the core principle of marriage. Allowing marriage with gender equality does not contradict the core principle of marriage. Allowing marriage without marital rape does not violate it, but allowing people to get married when they do not choose to have kids does. You know and I know that the entire reason people support gay marriage has little to nothing to do with applying said principles to gay adoption or artificial insemination, because as I said, people do not consider marriage to be about childbirth anymore.

In a way, it is completely understandable why gay marriage is being proposed, because if you believe marriage is about love then yes, it is discrimination to not marry gays, or at least there is no reason NOT to. But I do not accept that narrative, because I do not accept leftist trends whose sole purpose is to eliminate core values and a healthy worldview that isn't based on individualism, entitlement, and hedonism.

'I don't oppose gay marriage to oppose gays' is always followed by some clever excuse to oppose it while not trying to appear discriminatory. I see the same here. You sound incredibly alarmist.

No, we are not (which is another reason why people using Native Americans to justify gay marriage is nonsensical). I used the Native American analogy as an example of semantic distortion - how people say things are the same regardless of considering the reasons behind them.

Yes except to be completely consistent to that ends you would not consider marriage without childbirth fair or sensible. Then you'd also consider giving people economic and tax benefits if they don't plan to have children as even unfair to people who do, since that was intended as a privilege.

No. An important thing in my original comment there was if they wanted children so my statement is consistant.

While marriage has many benefit related to child rearing it also has benefits related to the couple involved. Is it fair to deny couples inheritence rights etc on the basis of they can/can't have children?

That's the reason gay people want marriage, for the benefits that apply to the couples.

Perhaps I would allow marriage if they chose to adopt, or get artifically inseminated. That is actually something worth considering.

The thing is that you seem to worship the act of childbirth and while childbirth is important, it's not the whole story. Like I said, there' more to being a parent than birthing the child. So much more. By keeping marriage as focussing olely on childbirth ignore the reality that many children are part of families who didn't have that option.

You should seriously consider that. Because right now your arguement comes acro as the pro-life ones. (Ie they care about the fetus while it's in the womb, but they don't care about the child that results all that much).

Nowadays? Nope. It's at least far more neurotic and entitled than it was in the past.

I'd say some other socities were worse. I can imagine much worse thing in society in the past (and today) than allowing people to marry.

My definition is based on survival, not the typical...leftist "hippie" narrative which is actually really childish, fetishized, and very detached from reality.

Eliminating disease is natural because it helps with survival. That is obeying nature according to my definition of it. It is more natural to eliminate an entire species that poses a grave threat to us than to let it live, you see. That's my definition of "natural".

Survival is a strange thing. Last I checked there was about 7 billion people on this planet. Also, last I checked, is that we don't have any natural predators (the closest we have is ourselves).

The human race won't die out if a few people don't decide to have children.

My principle is consistent and science doesn't contradict it. I could comment further but I don't want to derail this topic.

I never said your principle was inconsistant.

You're probably right for a lot of cases, but to be fair a lot of the people who oppose gay marriage on religious grounds also oppose homosexuality on those grounds as well - it is internally consistent, even if I do not agree with their reasons, for I am not a Christian. Personally I don't care about homosexuality and they don't inherently bother me.

I think however using the argument "it is discrimination and it is unequal" as the sole reason in a vacuum to demonize or condemn something is lazy and childish and it depresses me that modern society seems to consider that a valid argument. It is like when the term "racism" is used to criticize certain views and policies without considering the thought process a person may have used to get to those views - there is no reason it has to be out of blind hatred. Once again, the reason why is important. And, understand, accusing someone of ulterior motives without absolute proof is always conjecture.

Religion has no place in this arguement. Why? Because the people that oppose it on religius grounds are just trying to impose their religious belief on everyone, christian and non-alike. They're opposed to religious freedom and freedom in general.

The reason isn't as important as you think. Discrimination is discrimination. By making the reason behind it more important is adding a get out of jail free to it.

Let's say a christian buisness owner denies service to a person because they are gay. Is that discrimination? Yes. Does the reason behind it change that it was descrimination. No. Does the reason make it acceptable? No.

Define alarmist.

The whole 'eliminating core values' thing and the general attitude that changing marriage to being about love is the end of the world.

That is interesting actually. In that sense I would advocate civil unions with those benefits, which is always something I advocated for hospital visitation.

Why create a seperate institution? Seperate but equal has been proven not to work.

Right, but any benefits that are principally based on raising a child should only apply where it is relevant. I can see, for instance, civil unions for everyone that allows inheritance rights as well as hospital visitation. I would hypothetically allow that.

So you'd add benefits based on raising a child to anyone raising a child then?

Yes, I know this.

And yet you repeatedly make the biggest deal about childbirth, not raising.

As I said an argument can be made for allowing marriage in the case of adoption of artificial insemination. If I decided that is reasonable then perhaps I'd be for "gay marriage" under those circumstances...but then again, that is debatable and I don't want to derail this topic further.

I'd say that's part of what the topic's about.

Why make it debateable? If you allow marriage in those case you'd have to do so for anyone that did it.

I dislike both sides of the abortion debate. That's for another discussion though, but I will say that assuming someone who is anti-abortion doesn't care about the child outside the womb is a strawman. I understand where you are coming from (most of the people who are anti-abortion are also capitalists, at least in this country), but it is not inherent.

I wasn't doing it to bring abortion into it, but making the comparison. Enough people that are anti-abortion don't seem to care about humans outside the womb for it to be a noteworthy point to use as comparison.

It was just a hypothetical example to illustrate how my worldview works.

Not the point. I advocate nationalist celebrations and such so advocating the tradition of marriage is also consistent with that - like I said, part of a worldview, not in a vacuum. I just consider those things organically healthy, and debating that outlook itself is another subject.

Well it cmes off as a rather odd worldview.

Well, I am not religious so this isn't my argument!

Not saying it was, just saying why religious arguements should be thrown out.

I guess I am saying I do advocate discrimination, but discrimination based on differing criteria that actually exists, which we all do anyway. You are technically "discriminating" when you have affirmative action - it is a form of race-based discrimination. Many leftists support it and have their own internally consistent reasons too, but it is still racial discrimination. So yes - the reasons behind it need consideration unless you are a libertarian who believes in nothing but "negative" rights.

So you advocate negative descrimination but it's for the 'right' reasons so thats a good thing? Why?

Consistent with my worldview.

I amend my comment above that your worldview is odd to scary.

I never advocated it as equal. I advocated civil unions regardless of reason with some of the benefits (inheritance etc.), but full marriage would not be the same thing.

Also in most cases "separate but equal" was such in name only.

Ah yes, so you expect gay people to be happy with having a lesser state of civil unions? And that would work would it?

Also if you're advocating civil unions for everyone married that didn't have or want children good luck with that, because no hetrosexual couple would want their marriage downgraded to a civil union.

Yes, that would be reasonable.

Hmm. Semi-procress.