Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bug carries dead ants to fend off enemies

Still Waters

This bug looks like it's made a killing carrying a remarkable number of dead bodies on its back to stop it becoming lunch.

As this gruesome picture shows this insect has at least 20 ants on its back which according to scientists confuse potential predators like jumping spiders.

The aptly named assassin bug uses the dead bodies, as a defence mechanism to fend off enemies

http://www.dailymail...rd-enemies.html

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex44

• pallidin

• Shiloh17

• CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Great post! Thanks for the link, amazing pictures.

Good point on what keeps them on. I imagined the bug was like an expert at card houses, but with ants LOL but I guess it probably is more than that that huh.

So, what keeps the dead ants from falling of?

Bug spit

I wonder if he noticed a vehicle driving down the road with a deer on the hood and got the idea from there...

some spiders use ants' bodys too, but not to ward them off, but to infiltrate a colony and feed on them! They were photographed wearing dead ants' heads as frickin' HATS! :ohttp://myrmecos.net/...chilus-rogersi/

Edited by Jacques Terreur

Now that is wall poster worthy. Love those pictures.

That's a good question Drev, maybe the spiny hair on the bug & ants help keep them in place, or they use some type of excreted enzyme, or both,? anyway great pics.

How does it put the dead ants on its back? With its "legs" I presume, but a pile that high?

• 4 weeks later...

Just be glad ants aren't large enough to carry humans around. You wouldn't be sure if you were near an ant wearing "human" clothes.