Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Winged mammal' photo

Owlscrying

This blurry photo is causing excitement on paranormal websites, amid speculation that it could show a new species of winged mammal.

The image was reportedly taken by amateur photographer Fabian Romano at a Macachín airport in La Pampa, Argentina.

According to the uncorroborated story that accompanies the picture on dozens of cryptozoology websites and blogs, the photographer spotted the fast-moving "being" but was only able to take a single photo before it flew away.

He reportedly sent the photo to local UFO study group which decided it showed a creature of "high strangeness" and forwarded it on to the police.

The blurb with the picture claims that officers used high-tech equipment to enhance the image, revealing that the animal had eye sockets and a beak. The special criminal division estimated that the creature could be up to 2ft 7 in tall, it is claimed.

But the story have been met with scepticism among experienced photographers, who point out that it would be impossible to tell the size of the object without knowing how close it was to the camera.

More mundane and plauside theories include that the photo is a long exposure shot of a bird, or an insect that flew too close to the camera.

Source / Pic

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreyWeather

• Pandora7321

• Owlscrying

• MsKatsipoulis

Top Posters In This Topic

This is interesting picture and really gets you thinking and lets the imagination run a tad bit wild :P

As i took a close look, i noticed the fact the the wing at the bottom is hardly visible, That is fast movement of the wings.. like an insect of some sort and its only the "insect" that is blurred.. not the back round, it was zoomed in so appears to be larger, and blurry (which also indicates fast movement).... Just an opinion :P

That looks pretty neat, but I've gotta assume it's either a bird or an insect close to the camera. The way the legs appear in the photo though it's hard to figure what type of bird it could be (not that I'm a bird expert).

I believe this very same photo was posted on here not long ago. There's no way that is a new species of flying mammal.

Too low resolution to tell ANYTHING.

What evidence is there that its a mammal?

If the picture is real at all, it looks to me like a wasp very close to the camera or a flamingo or something.

It kind've looks like a close up of a wasp that flys around with it's legs hanging down (only blurred), a like so:

linked-image

linked-image

Edited by Pandora7321

I believe this very same photo was posted on here not long ago. There's no way that is a new species of flying mammal.

I was about to say the same thing.

It was on the frontpage. Someone - and then others - conclusded it was just a locust photograph on a slightly slow shutter speed.