Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Curiosity Lands on Mars

mars curiosity mars science laboratory rover nasa

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:27 AM

Curiosity Lands on Mars

www.nasa.gov said:

Curiosity Lands on Mars

Mon, 06 Aug 2012 06:32:54 AM GMT

NASA's Curiosity rover has landed on Mars! Its descent-stage retrorockets fired, guiding it to the surface. Nylon cords lowered the rover to the ground in the "sky crane" maneuver. When the spacecraft sensed touchdown, the connecting cords were severed, and the descent stage flew out of the way. The time of day at the landing site is mid-afternoon -- about 3 p.m. local Mars time at Gale Crater. The time at JPL's mission control is about 10:31 p.m. Aug. 5 PDT (early morning EDT).

Posted Image Source

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 07 August 2012 - 12:01 AM.
Corrected title.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:36 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Curiosity's Early Views of Mars

This image shows one of the first views from NASA's Curiosity rover, which landed on Mars the evening of Aug. 5 PDT (early morning hours Aug. 6 EDT). It was taken through a "fisheye" wide-angle lens on one of the rover's Hazard-Avoidance cameras. These engineering cameras are located at the rover's base. As planned, the early images are lower resolution. Larger color images are expected later in the week when the rover's mast, carrying high-resolution cameras, is deployed. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

Source: NASA - MSL - Multimedia

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,870 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

Posted Image

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,975 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

I was a child of 8 on July 20th 1969.  I remember staring with sheer amazement at a black and white TV screen as Neil Armstrong stepped off the ladder and onto the surface.  Even at 8 I knew what a moment this was....
We didn't see a man stand on the Mars surface today but we still saw all men reach out and touch another world after a feat of mechanical gymnastics that were breathtaking.  What these scientists did was amazing and they deserve applause.
GO Curiosity!

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#5    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Wooooo baby!

#6    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

I am so amazed an!d proud!!  I can hardly wait to see the images!

#7    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,087 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

A fantastic achievement - i'm looking forward to seeing what Curiosity finds over the coming weeks and months.

#8    healeybhoy

healeybhoy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

well done,great achievment looking forward to more updates

#9    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,180 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

NASA's New Mars Rover Sends Higher-Resolution Image

www.nasa.gov said:

This is one of the first images taken by<br />
NASA's Curiosity rover, which landed on<br />
Mars the evening of Aug. 5 PDT (morning<br />
of Aug. 6 EDT).<br />
Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech <br />
<a href=' http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/multimedia/msl5.html ' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>  Full image and caption</a>
This is one of the first images taken by
NASA's Curiosity rover, which landed on
Mars the evening of Aug. 5 PDT (morning
of Aug. 6 EDT).
Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech
Full image and caption
PASADENA, Calif. - About two hours after landing on Mars and beaming back its first image, NASA's Curiosity rover transmitted a higher-resolution image of its new Martian home, Gale Crater. Mission Control at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., received the image, taken by one of the vehicle's lower-fidelity, black-and-white Hazard Avoidance Cameras - or Hazcams.

The black-and-white, 512 by 512 pixel image, taken by Curiosity's rear-left Hazcam, can be found at: http://www.nasa.gov/...edia/msl5.html.

"Curiosity's landing site is beginning to come into focus," said John Grotzinger, project manager of NASA's Mars Science Laboratory mission, at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. "In the image, we are looking to the northwest. What you see on the horizon is the rim of Gale Crater. In the foreground, you can see a gravel field. The question is, where does this gravel come from? It is the first of what will be many scientific questions to come from our new home on Mars."

While the image is twice as big in pixel size as the first images beamed down from the rover, they are only half the size of full-resolution Hazcam images. During future mission operations, these images will be used by the mission's navigators and rover drivers to help plan the vehicle's next drive. Other cameras aboard Curiosity, with color capability and much higher resolution, are expected to be sent back to Earth over the next several days.

Curiosity landed at 10:32 p.m. Aug. 5, PDT, (1:32 a.m. EDT, Aug. 6) near the foot of a mountain three miles (about five kilometers) tall inside Gale Crater, 96 miles (nearly 155 kilometers) 7in diameter. During a nearly two-year prime mission, the rover will investigate whether the region has ever offered conditions favorable for microbial life, including the chemical ingredients for life.

The mission is managed by JPL for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The rover was designed, developed and assembled at JPL, a division of Caltech.

For more information on the mission, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/mars and http://www.nasa.gov/mars and http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/msl.

Follow the mission on Facebook and Twitter at http://www.facebook.com/marscuriosity and http://www.twitter.com/marscuriosity

Guy Webster/D.C. Agle 818-354-5011
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
Guy.webster@jpl.nasa.gov / agle@jpl.nasa.gov

Dwayne Brown 202-358-1726
NASA Headquarters, Washington
Dwayne.c.brown@nasa.gov

2012-231

Posted Image Source

Posted Image
Click on button

#10    GoldenRabbit

GoldenRabbit

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

Looking forward to color photos over the next couple days, very interesting stuff, its a great achievement :tu:

Go The Bunnies :)

#11    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,847 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Now  ! Isnt this a lot better than talking trash about how man dosnt do anything Great and ,we cant do this or that. We did this  ! The world did this,not just one country the World community @@ Its good to be an Explorier !

This is a Work in Progress!

#12    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Fantastic. It's going to be very interesting to see what sorts of results this mobile laboratory reveals. So glad it made it to the surface in one piece.

#13    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 06 August 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

Now  ! Isnt this a lot better than talking trash about how man dosnt do anything Great and ,we cant do this or that. We did this  ! The world did this,not just one country the World community @@ Its good to be an Explorier !

I think this is great news but there will always be the few that will say "Why did they waste money on this? Why not spending it on curing cancer?"

Great job mankind. :tu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#14    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,847 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostDKO, on 06 August 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

I think this is great news but there will always be the few that will say "Why did they waste money on this? Why not spending it on curing cancer?"

Great job mankind. :tu:
In a strange way we are curing cancer just by going ! The evolution is much deeper than just the skin.We are reaching out Looking for the next great Discovery.
In by doing this we find the pieces of the Human puzzle. You never know what wonders await us in the Infinity of our Path thru the Universe.
If the world really wanted to cure cancer its would be a snap of the Ck book ! ITs all our Human greed that holds that evolution back !

This is a Work in Progress!

#15    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,271 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

Great job so far...
Should get exciting from here on in.

Also tagged with mars, curiosity, mars science laboratory, rover, nasa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users