Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can god make a rock to big for him to left

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#31    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 20 February 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

allegedly. :tu:
Well, when it comes to questions like these I do like to answer then even though I'm pretty agnostic in my views. So, to answer them, I usually base my post around the view point of trying to answer the question in a logical manner without just going 'well, I dunno if he's real or not'. That 'allegedly' let's me keep the topic going while still holding up a flag saying 'though in my views I don't really know'.

Sorry to seem like I'm explaining it to you Free, I'm more explaining for myself and others who may see my post as support for the belief of a God.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#32    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,249 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostHasina, on 20 February 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

Well, when it comes to questions like these I do like to answer then even though I'm pretty agnostic in my views. So, to answer them, I usually base my post around the view point of trying to answer the question in a logical manner without just going 'well, I dunno if he's real or not'. That 'allegedly' let's me keep the topic going while still holding up a flag saying 'though in my views I don't really know'.

Sorry to seem like I'm explaining it to you Free, I'm more explaining for myself and others who may see my post as support for the belief of a God.
Fully understood.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#33    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,213 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 February 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

Well, yes, but then he's not omnipotent since he can lift his rock -- he wasn't able to build it.
I have been trying to explain his encounters with mara for a long time. Everyone wants to think they were real demons.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#34    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,055 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

"Ominipotent" is often misconstrued as an inherent contradiction, yet it is not.

This often missed element is that "Omnipotence is combinded with Omniscience", which, essentially, say's that there is Wisdom before the expression of Power.

As such, God creating a rock He can not lift is void by virtue of Wisdom.

#35    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,055 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

Your gun can kill another. That's POWER.

However, you must decide whether or not to pull the trigger. That's Wisdom, or not(being human)

#36    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,985 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

I remember this question. This is how I think of it.

View PostKazahel, on 02 November 2010 - 04:00 PM, said:

I guess it depends on what you think is God. I tend to think of God as inside everybody and we are inside His body(almost like dreams of His).

So the little h, as in he, means little god(to me)which is inside everyone. Big H/He means Him(the main dreamer/creator). So He can create a stone so heavy he cannot lift it.

So if you basically think of God as being you(he)and also the creator(He)..(so linked together), then He can experience the impossible through you just as you experience the possible through Him.

So He can create a stone so heavy he cannot lift it.

#37    flbrnt

flbrnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

The quote about the lever is from Archimedes. not Socrates or Plato.

#38    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

God is a spirit and also he created and formed the earth. There is one helluva big rock there.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#39    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

View Postdanielost, on 20 February 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

There is one thing god cannot do.  That is do evil.
God might not be able to do evil but he willingly let it happen when he set us loose on Earth.

Shooting yourself in the foot willingly and then crying about the pain is stupid.

Edited by Sean93, 21 February 2013 - 09:29 AM.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#40    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

View Postdanielost, on 20 February 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

There is one thing god cannot do.  That is do evil.
Read the story of Job...conspiring with the devil to destroy a man...sounds evil to me.

What could possibly go wrong?

#41    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

View Postpallidin, on 20 February 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

Your gun can kill another. That's POWER.

However, you must decide whether or not to pull the trigger. That's Wisdom, or not(being human)
Thanks for putting that in...uhmmm...laywoman terms, I couldn't wrap my head around the other explanation :blush:

What could possibly go wrong?

#42    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,539 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 20 February 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Do you not understand the problem or are you just stubborn?
I'm attempting a paradox that'll consume this thread in the fires of reuncreation.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#43    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,539 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostIdano, on 21 February 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Read the story of Job...conspiring with the devil to destroy a man...sounds evil to me.
Not the Devil. An Angel whose job it was/is to be "devil's advocate" to say rhings inentionally defiant to ghe thoughts/will of the person they're talking to in order to ensure justice is done.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#44    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,004 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostIdano, on 21 February 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Except, he knew it wouldn't destroy Job.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#45    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

View Postdanielost, on 20 February 2013 - 09:14 AM, said:

The simple answer is no.

Socraties or Plato(I get them mixed up) said,"give me a big enough lever and I can move he earth."
Thus not only can't god make a rock he can't move, he can't make one I can't move

What is a rock?
If you chip a bit off it is it still a rock?
At what point does it cease to be a rock if you keep chipping?

If a rock was a real thing you'd be able to define the point at which it ceases to be a rock. As you cant it shows a rock is just an idea in your head and thus your statement is logically flawed.

To produce a logically correct statement you'd first need to show something objectively exists. Good luck with that lol.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 21 February 2013 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users