Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can "Shadow People" be white and protective?

HarleyDawn

I am sharing my experience because I am interested in what others think about what occurred in my old apartment.

As background about myself, I have been sensitive to the paranormal since I was a little girl. I cannot openly communicate with what I see, but I get a certain "feeling" when I am in a home that is occupied.

A few years ago, I relocated to a different state and rented a small (< 500 square foot) apartment in an older apartment complex. The very first week I lived there, I was sitting on my couch in the late evening working on presentation for work the next day. I suddenly felt like I was being watched from the hallway, and when I looked to my right I saw a distinctive figure standing in the hallway looking at me on the couch. This figure was white and "foggy", appeared masculine and tall with an average build. I could not make out details of the figure's features because of the "fogginess". I also did not feel frightened AT ALL by this figure's presence for some reason (which is strange because in any other situation I would be incredibly frightened). The figure remained for a number of minutes, despite me getting up from the couch (to rule out a trick of lighting). The figure only vanished when I walked close enough to it to almost walk through it. Once the figure disappeared I felt like i was no longer being watched.

My sightings of this figure continued throughout the first six months that I lived in my old apartment. I came to refer to him as "The Man". He would often appear at night time and would watch me for a few moments and then leave, although I saw him a handful of times during the day as well.

As time went on, I began to wake up from a sound sleep and would see The Man at the foot of my bed, almost as if he was watching over me. I would wake up with a start, see him there, and feel comforted and go back to sleep. I still do not understand why I felt comforted by The Man because in any other circumstance I would have been terrified.

The only negative events that ever occurred in my apartment happened about six months into my stay there, and I do not feel like The Man was at fault. When these negative things occurred, my sightings of The Man would happen more often, but I continued to feel like he was protecting me from the negative thing.

The negative event that freaked me out the most occurred in the middle of the day in my bedroom. I was laying on my bed reading my Kindle. It was a weekend and my complex was quiet (my neighbors would often go away for weekends which I always assumed was due to our apartments being so darn small). I suddenly heard strange banging from my bedroom closet, which startled me. My closet door was one of those metal slider doors, and it was partially open. The banging almost sounded like a person was knocking on the metal. I looked over the the closet door to see if I saw something there and suddenly I felt something tuck my hair behind my ear, and shriek "Hello!" in a bizarre childish baby voice loudly into my ear. I could actually feel wind or "breath" go into my ear and the voice was so odd (like a cartoon). Of note I didn't have a television in my apartment at the time.

I got so startled that I jumped off the bed and ran into the hallway where the man often stood guard. I looked around everywhere including outside to see if anything could have made the sound but no one was around. My neighbors above me weren't home either. I also searched my closet to see if there could have been some sort of animal or anything, but I didn't see any signs of that, and never had rodents for the entire time I lived in the complex.

During that same week, I continued to hear bizarre metallic banging from my bedroom closet. Multiple times I would leave the room and return to find objects from my closet thrown across the room on the floor (it reminded me of when a woman is ripping through their closet looking for something to wear and throwing things behind them). Once I came home from work and my entire closet door was off the hinges and on the ground.

When these events would happen I would get frightened, and the night after The Man would always appear and wake me up from sleep as if to remind me he was watching over me. I also had a couple of nights during this time of activity where I would experience sleep paralysis. The Man would always be at the foot of my bed during these events and I would calm down and come out of them (I felt like he was fighting off whatever was paralyzing me).

After the closet door was knocked off it's hinges I got very angry with whatever was doing this, and opened all of the windows in my apartment and said "I live here and I demand that whatever is tormenting me leave NOW! You will NOT throw my stuff again!" I felt like a crazy person shouting at nothing but after I did this, I never had anything thrown around my room again.

The Man would only appear once and a while afterwards. He continued to make me feel comforted and watched over, so I never felt like I had to "order him out". I lived there for two years in total and he would only appear a few times a month in various locations, for a moment or two before disappearing.

I have since moved to a new apartment and have not had any experiences here at all. The Man didn't follow me here, apparently. Hopefully he is still watching over the new tenants at my old place!

My question is… is The Man some type of nice-guy white-colored shadow person? Is he some sort of ghost? I thought maybe he could have been a spirit guide or Angel, but I didn't get the sense of "light" that I heard comes with those types of experiences. Also, he only appeared in that particular apartment and I never saw him before that location and haven't seen him since. I asked around and no one had heard of any significant history of that particular apartment, but my landlord was a little resistant to tell me about the previous tenants so I didn't push it.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions!

• Like 2

Welcome to UM Harley :st Hope you enjoy it here! Most of us are mostly harmless :innocent::sk:devil:

I'm going to leave most of your story aside for the moment and just address the theory of white shadow people. I've seen a ton of ghost stories, angels, demons, shadowfolks... Don't think I've ever quite heard of it put like this, an opposite of shadowfolks.

But I suppose yes, why not? There seems to be opposites to most things. I would guess that if such things exist they probably have normally been described as ghosts or angels. Maybe spirit guides or house guardians?

• Like 1

I would guess that if such things exist they probably have normally been described as ghosts or angels. Maybe spirit guides or house guardians?

I would think there is always an opposite so that the universe is balanced. So, if shadow people exist, then the opposite must be true. If God exists, so must Satan. But I would not want your white shadow person in my life at all. Evil can take the form of anything, so how do you know it isn't Satan pretending to be a "good" angel?

• Like 3

I don't know if it was a shadow creature you saw. They, by their description normally look like a shadow. I guess you may be seeing some other entity which sounds like a ghost to me. BUT, if he is just turning up when you are experiencing negative feelings etc, then he maybe be feeding off them like a parasite. It is possible these creatures adapt over time and this one has had more luck coming across as 'lighter' coloured and pretending to be 'looking after you' but secretly creating the negative vibe. Either way, the dead or other worldly creatures have no place in a normal healthy living humans life. So IMO you should tell him to **** of your life. If telling it does not work then use bright lights to get rid of it. The brighter white the light the more it scares/kills them. I mean, it could be simply a ghost of a dirty old man perving on you!

I certainly hope it wasn't a "pervy"! I never got the feeling that "The Man" was doing anything inappropriate… The only inappropriate touching I experienced was the impish presence with the annoying cartoon/child voice. And the impish one went away completely after I opened my windows, let the sun in, and ordered it out.

I didn't realize that these things could pretend to be something else, either… kind of scary! I think if I knew that when I lived there I would have asked The Man to leave as well...

I am quite happy that my new apartment is not "spirited". :D

I certainly hope it wasn't a "pervy"! I never got the feeling that "The Man" was doing anything inappropriate… The only inappropriate touching I experienced was the impish presence with the annoying cartoon/child voice. And the impish one went away completely after I opened my windows, let the sun in, and ordered it out.

I didn't realize that these things could pretend to be something else, either… kind of scary! I think if I knew that when I lived there I would have asked The Man to leave as well...

I am quite happy that my new apartment is not "spirited". :D

Thing is... they followed me from one house to the new house before I got rid of them. You are probably fine if you have not seen it recently. But just keep an eye out just in case.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One of the most vivid dreams I have ever had involved a small group of pure white people with blood red eyes. It was interesting because my first reaction to the red eyes was fear (obviously, lol), but then just like that I understood they were my allies and I was filled with a sense of calm. That sort of wordless communication was an ongoing theme (just before I had had a "conversation" with an orange robed monk, and at one point I found my self noticing his mouth was closed and motionless). Similarly, they were not "glowing" nor did they have any aura surrounding them, just birch bark white, hair and all, and they instilled an implicit sense of trust. I can't recall their description in anything I have read (and thinking back they were pretty ominous looking for "good guys" or as an "angel" archetype). Quite a singular experience indeed! (Plus they "taught" me how to glide around, like in the movie "crouching tiger hidden dragon", haha, anti-gravity dreams are the most fun).

• 2 months later...

Hey Harleydawn,

I am just like you i am very sensitive when its comes to spirits, runs in our family.

i don't trust shadow people, they sneak around in your house, that is not right and i did experience one. Im just going to copy and paste my information from another forum, because there is so much information.

Last year i actually had a very bad experience with a spirit, a shadow man. I caught him walking into the spare room when i opened the bathroom door and yes i watched him walk straight pass me, and he knew i saw him by the reaction how the shadow mans shoulder and head tilted looking pass me. Of course i ran to my mother and asked her to come into the spare room if she could sense it at the same time, we could, so i knew what i saw. He was quick, i saw his leg movement and his reaction even though it was just a shadow!

When that had happened to me maybe one or two nights later i had my first sleep paralysis.. and i think it was this shadow man. My body froze, i couldn't move, i had goosebumps from head to toe, especially on my head, neck and near ears area. I couldn't open my eyes and talk, all i had was my conscious, i know what i was thinking and saying in my head.. i had this horrible noise in my ears, a tingy noise and yes it was loud. I honestly thought this thing was taking over my body.. thats how bad it was and i was scared.

After i had told my mom about the story she told me to say 'In the name of Jesus Christ, get out of my room'. It happened a few times with me until my mom saw it and some how she managed to get it out and she saw it during the day.

Ok, i didn't have my sleep paralysis for a long time that happened last year 2013. This is 2014 and i had another experience.. Except it was different, i had recorded it just incase it happens again.

Was woken up between the time 3 to 4 am in the morning.

Paralysed from head to toe.

Goosebumps.

Couldn't talk and open my eyes.

through my eye lids, i could sense a bright light. when i managed to open my eyes a little bit (my eyes were flickering) i know there was a bright light.

Didn't feel scared.

Remembered what i was thinking to my self,

Decided to say the lords prayer.

And i could tell the bright light was moving away from my bed as soon as i managed to speak out 'Our father'. Then i woke up

My first thought was that an Angel? And this Angel was right against my bed on my side and i was looking straight at it, i managed to open my eye lids a little bit my eyes were flickering but i know it was a bright light. The thing is just because it is a bright light i cant assume its an Angel it can be anything..

Just a little bit of a past history about me.

I am very sensitive when it comes to spirits, runs in the family. i have heard them talk and i have felt them, but i am not as advanced.. like medians, psychics. It comes when it pleases. And my opinion on aliens i think they are bad.

Has anyone experienced this or have any opinions?

Sounds like sleep paralysis and yes I've experienced it. If a shadow person was white, would they really be a shadow person?

• Like 4

Sounds like sleep paralysis and yes I've experienced it. If a shadow person was white, would they really be a shadow person?

No they would both be different, from what i have experienced. The bright light i saw definitely was not the shadow person, as the shadow person i had experienced came into my room quite frequently and seemed very harsh towards me, my body reacted worse.

No they would both be different, from what i have experienced. The bright light i saw definitely was not the shadow person, as the shadow person i had experienced came into my room quite frequently and seemed very harsh towards me, my body reacted worse.

Yes they both are probably part of a sleep disorder. Sleep paralysis will occur to everyone at least once in their life. I never had it until I was in my late 30's and now I occasionally have it. Since I know what it is I can wake myself up from it. Hypnagagia is also what you could have experienced. Like I always say, never trust anything you see or feel on waking or going to sleep. There is just too much happening with the brain at that time to really deduce if anything is real or imagined.

• Like 2

As Coldethyl stated, Hypnagagia is one of the main causes.

When I am under stress, lack sleep, ate late or just have a lot on my mind, i tend to fall in the between sleep and awake. Last night I woke up standing outside the backyard, My dream was letting my dog out (he was acutally looking through the glass door from inside) and I saw some weird creature waving at me and I followed.

I can tell you a lot of stories of being visted by aliens, demons, people who tormented my childhood, angels, ghosts, robbers, zombies, family members, bugs big and small, robots, a monster made of belts, giant rat, a man who was cutting my arm open and i watched, shadow creatures both light and dark.

So, Unless i am the Number 1 magnet for people visiting me while i am a sleep or it is Hypnagagia.

Also, I have seen a sleep doctor and it had helped.

• Like 3

I would think there is always an opposite so that the universe is balanced. So, if shadow people exist, then the opposite must be true. If God exists, so must Satan. But I would not want your white shadow person in my life at all. Evil can take the form of anything, so how do you know it isn't Satan pretending to be a "good" angel?

You are right over there because i experienced something white in my sleep paralysis and it was a bright light between the times of 3am and 4am those times are known to be the devils hour.

I dont think a bright light could be a white shadow person this was something else, as i could sense it was different from the shadow person. I haven't had one since then but if it happens again, my mom thinks i should go and see a hypnosis or even see a doctor about my sleep paralysis. It is very unusual for this to have happened to me, i eat healthy, i exercise, i study maybe its that? But i know for a fact there was a bright light and im curious to find out what that was, lucky i had documented this.

I dont think a bright light could be a white shadow person this was something else, as i could sense it was different from the shadow person. I haven't had one since then but if it happens again, my mom thinks i should go and see a hypnosis or even see a doctor about my sleep paralysis. It is very unusual for this to have happened to me, i eat healthy, i exercise, i study maybe its that? But i know for a fact there was a bright light and im curious to find out what that was, lucky i had documented this.

The last part was rhetorical. I don't believe in shadow people, black, white or red all over.

• Like 2

You are right over there because i experienced something white in my sleep paralysis and it was a bright light between the times of 3am and 4am those times are known to be the devils hour.

The devils hour?

Ok, *Puts on my skeptics hat of hatiness*

Do you know that three AM is ALWAYS happening some where in the world? So which Witching Hour is real? Do they travel around the world, around the world, around the world in a big circle? What about the daylight savings? Are the devils aware of this?

• Like 3

I am sharing my experience because I am interested in what others think about what occurred in my old apartment.

As background about myself, I have been sensitive to the paranormal since I was a little girl. I cannot openly communicate with what I see, but I get a certain "feeling" when I am in a home that is occupied.

A few years ago, I relocated to a different state and rented a small (< 500 square foot) apartment in an older apartment complex. The very first week I lived there, I was sitting on my couch in the late evening working on presentation for work the next day. I suddenly felt like I was being watched from the hallway, and when I looked to my right I saw a distinctive figure standing in the hallway looking at me on the couch. This figure was white and "foggy", appeared masculine and tall with an average build. I could not make out details of the figure's features because of the "fogginess". I also did not feel frightened AT ALL by this figure's presence for some reason (which is strange because in any other situation I would be incredibly frightened). The figure remained for a number of minutes, despite me getting up from the couch (to rule out a trick of lighting). The figure only vanished when I walked close enough to it to almost walk through it. Once the figure disappeared I felt like i was no longer being watched.

My sightings of this figure continued throughout the first six months that I lived in my old apartment. I came to refer to him as "The Man". He would often appear at night time and would watch me for a few moments and then leave, although I saw him a handful of times during the day as well.

As time went on, I began to wake up from a sound sleep and would see The Man at the foot of my bed, almost as if he was watching over me. I would wake up with a start, see him there, and feel comforted and go back to sleep. I still do not understand why I felt comforted by The Man because in any other circumstance I would have been terrified.

The only negative events that ever occurred in my apartment happened about six months into my stay there, and I do not feel like The Man was at fault. When these negative things occurred, my sightings of The Man would happen more often, but I continued to feel like he was protecting me from the negative thing.

The negative event that freaked me out the most occurred in the middle of the day in my bedroom. I was laying on my bed reading my Kindle. It was a weekend and my complex was quiet (my neighbors would often go away for weekends which I always assumed was due to our apartments being so darn small). I suddenly heard strange banging from my bedroom closet, which startled me. My closet door was one of those metal slider doors, and it was partially open. The banging almost sounded like a person was knocking on the metal. I looked over the the closet door to see if I saw something there and suddenly I felt something tuck my hair behind my ear, and shriek "Hello!" in a bizarre childish baby voice loudly into my ear. I could actually feel wind or "breath" go into my ear and the voice was so odd (like a cartoon). Of note I didn't have a television in my apartment at the time.

I got so startled that I jumped off the bed and ran into the hallway where the man often stood guard. I looked around everywhere including outside to see if anything could have made the sound but no one was around. My neighbors above me weren't home either. I also searched my closet to see if there could have been some sort of animal or anything, but I didn't see any signs of that, and never had rodents for the entire time I lived in the complex.

During that same week, I continued to hear bizarre metallic banging from my bedroom closet. Multiple times I would leave the room and return to find objects from my closet thrown across the room on the floor (it reminded me of when a woman is ripping through their closet looking for something to wear and throwing things behind them). Once I came home from work and my entire closet door was off the hinges and on the ground.

When these events would happen I would get frightened, and the night after The Man would always appear and wake me up from sleep as if to remind me he was watching over me. I also had a couple of nights during this time of activity where I would experience sleep paralysis. The Man would always be at the foot of my bed during these events and I would calm down and come out of them (I felt like he was fighting off whatever was paralyzing me).

After the closet door was knocked off it's hinges I got very angry with whatever was doing this, and opened all of the windows in my apartment and said "I live here and I demand that whatever is tormenting me leave NOW! You will NOT throw my stuff again!" I felt like a crazy person shouting at nothing but after I did this, I never had anything thrown around my room again.

The Man would only appear once and a while afterwards. He continued to make me feel comforted and watched over, so I never felt like I had to "order him out". I lived there for two years in total and he would only appear a few times a month in various locations, for a moment or two before disappearing.

I have since moved to a new apartment and have not had any experiences here at all. The Man didn't follow me here, apparently. Hopefully he is still watching over the new tenants at my old place!

My question is… is The Man some type of nice-guy white-colored shadow person? Is he some sort of ghost? I thought maybe he could have been a spirit guide or Angel, but I didn't get the sense of "light" that I heard comes with those types of experiences. Also, he only appeared in that particular apartment and I never saw him before that location and haven't seen him since. I asked around and no one had heard of any significant history of that particular apartment, but my landlord was a little resistant to tell me about the previous tenants so I didn't push it.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions!

hi nice story. Shadow people are a strictly black out they are from a darker lower dimension and can only show as a shadow in this place because there of a lower vibration.. Your seeing a glowing white figure.. You didn't see it as a see through figure so this spirit being is some kinda of angel guiding you. This is why you feel comfort. He must be from a higher dimension with a higher vibration so he can only appear as light to you.. By the way about communicating he will hear you if you speak to him in your mind.. You may hear him reply if you were psychic. But even if you wasn't he will hear you. I can't connect at the min I still talk to them. I sometimes get body signs back or feelings or see light around me. I spoke to a girl in my head and heard her reply through my spirit box.. This is why when you hear of people with near death experiences they always say they call out in there head for help then an angel appears.. Makes sense.. Try it.

The devils hour?

Do you know that three AM is ALWAYS happening some where in the world? So which Witching Hour is real? Do they travel around the world, around the world, around the world in a big circle? What about the daylight savings? Are the devils aware of this?

Yeah I've always wondered this. They must carry a farmer's almanac or something.

• Like 2

Yeah I've always wondered this. They must carry a farmer's almanac or something.

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are. Farmers Almanac HA HA

• Like 2

The devils hour?

That is something we both dont know, but would they come out any time to come out and play? And remember i said 'they are KNOWN to be the devils hours'.

The devils hour?

That is something we both dont know, but would they come out any time to come out and play? And remember i said 'they are KNOWN to be the devils hours'.

when I was young I experienced both white and black shadow cats that I would see out on the streets when I was outside. So I agree there are both dark and light energies.

yes, it is known but doesn't mean its true, look at slenderman, it is known he hunt s children, doesnt mean it is true at all
  • Like 2

hi nice story. Shadow people are a strictly black out they are from a darker lower dimension and can only show as a shadow in this place because there of a lower vibration.. Your seeing a glowing white figure.. You didn't see it as a see through figure so this spirit being is some kinda of angel guiding you. This is why you feel comfort. He must be from a higher dimension with a higher vibration so he can only appear as light to you.. By the way about communicating he will hear you if you speak to him in your mind.. You may hear him reply if you were psychic. But even if you wasn't he will hear you. I can't connect at the min I still talk to them. I sometimes get body signs back or feelings or see light around me. I spoke to a girl in my head and heard her reply through my spirit box.. This is why when you hear of people with near death experiences they always say they call out in there head for help then an angel appears.. Makes sense.. Try it.

How on Earth have you come to such a conclusion?I think the things you are describing are strictly in your head and if you're looking to a spirit box for confirmation you really must be gullible

• Like 3