Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Are you willing to give your life for privacy

nsa edward snowden secrets whistleblower freedom

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you be willing to give your life for the privacy of others? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

In terms of what we now know the NSA is doing, would you be willing to give your life for the privacy of others?

1. Yes (22 votes [75.86%])

Percentage of vote: 75.86%

2. No (2 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

3. I'm afraid to answer this question for fear of becoming a target of the Justice Department (5 votes [17.24%])

Percentage of vote: 17.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

The typical educated Vietnamese, like educated people all over the world, knows far more about the United States and what is going on in it that hardly any American except the political elite know about what is going on in the rest of the world.  This is not a criticism of Americans.  What happens in the United States is far more relevant to Vietnamese and their future than what happens in Vietnam is to Americans and their future.

#32    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 11 June 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

The typical educated Vietnamese, like educated people all over the world, knows far more about the United States and what is going on in it that hardly any American except the political elite know about what is going on in the rest of the world.  This is not a criticism of Americans.  What happens in the United States is far more relevant to Vietnamese and their future than what happens in Vietnam is to Americans and their future.

I beg to differ on that statement...

I've talked to college students that are friends of friends that go abroad here to the US to study and look to someone to get a grasp on American society.  At the previous university that I worked at, there was a big Vietnamese community and I would often make friends and talk with students who were here and also their friends back home.  One time, I talked to a couple of college students who asked me if I had voted for Obama both times to which I replied, "No" then they asked "Why not?  I thought Americans love Obama?"  After which, I explained all the recent scandals at that time that were present in the administration, then they just said, "We didn't know about all this!"  I know it's not only foreign students but also American students which are not in tune with what is really going on and think that everything is peaches and cream with the way things are now...

#33    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,636 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostMantis914, on 11 June 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

I beg to differ on that statement...

I've talked to college students that are friends of friends that go abroad here to the US to study and look to someone to get a grasp on American society.  At the previous university that I worked at, there was a big Vietnamese community and I would often make friends and talk with students who were here and also their friends back home.  One time, I talked to a couple of college students who asked me if I had voted for Obama both times to which I replied, "No" then they asked "Why not?  I thought Americans love Obama?"  After which, I explained all the recent scandals at that time that were present in the administration, then they just said, "We didn't know about all this!"  I know it's not only foreign students but also American students which are not in tune with what is really going on and think that everything is peaches and cream with the way things are now...

So, it appears that this means you know more about the Vietnamese than the Vietnamese do.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#34    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,094 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

some americans do konw a lot about vietnam, some might still have the ears

RESIDENT TROLL.

#35    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostSweetpumper, on 11 June 2013 - 05:28 PM, said:

So, it appears that this means you know more about the Vietnamese than the Vietnamese do.

The thing that made me shudder the most was hearing them say that "Americans love Obama".  Is there a propaganda machine outside the US also??

#36    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostCapt Amerika, on 11 June 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

Nothing disturbs me more than when a person says "Go ahead and listen in on my phone calls, i have nothing to hide"
That shows me right away i am dealing with a person who doesnt understand nor cares about the freedom this nation was founded upon.
And while i agree Obama is not Hitler i am left to ponder... Did Germans back then know they were following "Hitler'?
Did they feel something wasnt quite right when they were blindly giving up everything to the Government?
Its easy to see why people talk the way they do because some of the parallels are there.

View PostSweetpumper, on 11 June 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

In my sig.

I don't think Obama is Hitler or the Anti-Christ, but what scares me, is the apathy in some of the population. And the blind faith they have in the government. I mean, they would follow the government off the cliff, without even questioning it.

Some of you might want to check this video out below:

Former Hitler Youth Whistleblower Warns Of America's Nazi Future

#37    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,094 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostKowalski, on 11 June 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

. I mean, they would follow the government off the cliff, without even questioning it.

they already do, they just don't realise it. they would not belive anything until they are told to beleve or not, regardless of what goes on around them.\\

Posted Image

Edited by aztek, 11 June 2013 - 06:04 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#38    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,636 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostMantis914, on 11 June 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

The thing that made me shudder the most was hearing them say that "Americans love Obama".  Is there a propaganda machine outside the US also??

View Postaztek, on 11 June 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

they already do, they just don't realise it. they would not belive anything until they are told to beleve or not, regardless of what goes on around them.\\

Posted Image

They were made to be ruled.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#39    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

Some just believe the example of the suffragettes, Rosa Parks and other civil rights activists is the way to bring about change that is required and needed.

Electing officials who care about progress instead of obstruction is the way to go for some of us and we have faith in the process.

Today we face new problems. They won't be solved by wannabe revolutionaries who are all talk and no action.

Me-generation wanting instant solutions to problems they don't understand won't bring change.

The frustrated who turn to Alex Jones and Glenn Beck will do nothing but whine.

Progress is not about speed but direction.

Scandal-mongers not required.

Comic books???

Movies???

Right...

Edited by The world needs you, 11 June 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#40    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

So is anyone proposing a solution beyond comic-book-and-conspiracy-theory-type fantasies of being "willing to give your life"?

Do some really believe they are going to be heroes? Just keep in mind that is a word others bestow on others and one that is not taken up on its own.

Edited by The world needs you, 11 June 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#41    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 11 June 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

Some just believe the example of the suffragettes, Rosa Parks and other civil rights activists is the way to bring about change that is required and needed.

Electing officials who care about progress instead of obstruction is the way to go for some of us and we have faith in the process.

Today we face new problems. They won't be solved by wannabe revolutionaries who are all talk and no action.

Me-generation wanting instant solutions to problems they don't understand won't bring change.

Comic books???

Movies???

Right...

What you call "progress" I and, many others call the destruction of American liberty and values. I for one, do not want to live in a police state, ruled by fear of the government. That is not what America was founded on.

#42    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,511 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 11 June 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

It is a cognitive bias to believe everyone is in the same boat as they are.

Just because one person in America feels they do not have a firm grasp on life in Saigon does not mean the inverse is true.

It might be that overall people in America generally know less about Vietnam due to our press reporting and our own citizens less frequently searching out Vietnamese point of views.

It might be that overall people in Vietnam know generally more about us than we do about them for the same reasons except that their press talks more about us than ours about them and their citizens are more likely to run into American point of views as his.

It seems Mr. Merton who visits America and is frequently around American point of views does indeed know more about us and our country than we do about him and his country. That has been demonstrated many times. It is also easy to see some Americans do have very similar views.

Another cognitive bias is to believe that all Americans feel one certain way. Not all Americans feel our situation is akin to Nazi Germany. In fact very few do it seems. Never heard this being said outside of any mainstream media sources. That is a good indicator right there regarding American consensus.

Many americans are not even aware of the similarities between the US today and Nazi Germany.  Pardon the irony, but my guess is that many muslims in the US today are just as persecuted and prosecuted as jews were in Nazi Germany.

Most americans are too busy with their lives to really have the time to pay attention to politics.  Most americans today are completely ignorant of what the US Constitution says and means.

Point is, ignorance of details is not really a valid perspective about "how this country is governed."

#43    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

People in first-world countries who complain about how oppressive their leaders are have a tendency to see the world through rose-colored glasses.

#44    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,903 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 11 June 2013 - 06:31 PM, said:

Comic books???

Movies???

Right...

I think you highly underestimate the power of talking. This is a war of information. The more people that stand unified in the way they think regarding at least how coruption and constitutional violations must end, the quicker that will become a reality.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#45    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,903 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 11 June 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

People in first-world countries who complain about how oppressive their leaders are have a tendency to see the world through rose-colored glasses.

Thats how they stay first-world

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

Also tagged with nsa, edward snowden, secrets, whistleblower, freedom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users