Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive melting of Andes glaciers

Still Waters

Glaciers in the tropical Andes have shrunk by an average of 30-50% since the 1970s, according to a study.

The glaciers, which provide fresh water for tens of millions in South America, are retreating at their fastest rate in the past 300 years.

The study included data on about half of all Andean glaciers and blamed the melting on an average temperature rise of 0.7C from 1950-1994.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21163386

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheLastLazyGun

• wolfknight

• Still Waters

• Babe Ruth

Wow wonder how many decades they have left. I wonder it this is the flawing before another ice age

Yes, more signs of global warming, climate change, whatever.

The political question is "did man contribute or cause the effect?" I certainly don't know, but suspect he made some contribution.

Those who deny it's happening are usually in the habit of denying other obvious facts.

FOX News told me to "Move along. There's nothing to see here."

• Like 1

Glaciers in the tropical Andes have shrunk by an average of 30-50% since the 1970s, according to a study.

The glaciers, which provide fresh water for tens of millions in South America, are retreating at their fastest rate in the past 300 years.

The study included data on about half of all Andean glaciers and blamed the melting on an average temperature rise of 0.7C from 1950-1994.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21163386

I don't believe anything the BBC tells me about the climate.

The global warming-obsessed Met Office reported on Christmas Eve (when it knew there would be no newspapers to report it) that global warming stopped in 1997. Yet you wouldn't have thought so with the way the left-wing press like the BBC, The Grauniad and The Independent are still banging on about "record global temperatures" and bushfires in Australia, a naturally hot country which has had bushfires for millennia.

These so-called retreating glaciers in the Andes - if, indeed, they are really retreating - cannot be caused by global warming due to the simple fact that global warming, if it ever happened at all, stopped in 1997.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

I wonder it this is the flawing before another ice age

The world is actually very much due an ice age.

I don't believe anything the BBC tells me about the climate.

The global warming-obsessed Met Office reported on Christmas Eve (when it knew there would be no newspapers to report it) that global warming stopped in 1997. Yet you wouldn't have thought so with the way the left-wing press like the BBC, The Grauniad and The Independent are still banging on about "record global temperatures" and bushfires in Australia, a naturally hot country which has had bushfires for millennia.

These so-called retreating glaciers in the Andes - if, indeed, they are really retreating - cannot be caused by global warming due to the simple fact that global warming, if it ever happened at all, stopped in 1997.

They did no such thing. They never claimed that the global warming had stopped - you are repeating the misrepresentation of what the Mail and Telegraph misquoted them as saying. The trend is still clearly upwards. Go read the actual original statement on the Met Office website and you will clearly see that you are wrong.

Br Cornelius

The world is actually very much due an ice age.

This is grossly wrong - the milankovich cycles, which govern the ice age cycle, predict an ice age in about 20 thousand years. You are simply repeating more misinformation from paid shills and have clearly never actually read any real climate science.

Br Cornelius