Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

More Americans Killed by Domestic Gunfire

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#46    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,626 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Something about those numbers struck me, primarily because people seem to be killing themselves at least twice as much as they are killing others... so I poked around with the numbers a bit and came across a couple random bits....

In the totals, police shootings are included. When you look up up on the form, it's called Legal Intervention. It is something that is not included on the nice 2011 link, so I did some tallying based off lookup on the other links provided....

Legal Intervention deaths using a firearm
1981-1998- 5,599
1999-2010- 3,894
2011- 213 if my math figuring is right

I did notice something else odd while looking at the numbers. Undetermined, unintentional, and suicide totals add up with their breakdowns by firearm. But the homicide totals do not. The total given is more than what the breakdown adds up to, at least from 2007-2011 it does.

#47    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

View PostRafterman, on 08 February 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

What "race war" in America?  I must have missed that one.

The spike in the 80s was due to the crack epidemic.

Wasn't the 70's to late 80's the black panther public standings and whatnot.

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

#48    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,814 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

View Postchopmo, on 08 February 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

That was hardly a war.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#49    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Enough of a war to use the CIA/FBI Drug War Tatics on their own civillians that were connected to this in some part. That is also from what I have seen in media as I do not live in the country so you are probally correct by stating that since you seen it first hand.

#50    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 08 February 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

Relying on a single statistics isn't showing the whole story, thus it is used to further one's agenda by creating a fear of those looking at it. If you show the whole story, average death compared to other situations and environments, you would come up with a completely different outlook. So basically just basing it off deaths doesn't even do the whole story justice, it just create unnecessary fear in those that don't research or understand.

How many of those deaths are by cops?
How many of those deaths are by people defending themselves?
How many of those deaths are accidental deaths?
How many of those deaths are gang related?
How many of those deaths are homicides?
How many of those deaths are murder?

I could keep going on and on asking the hard questions, but you will find majority of those deaths are by cops, gang related, and people defending themselves.

The OP article reads - We should note that these figures refer to all gun-fire related deaths -- not just homicides, but also suicides and accidental deaths. In 2011, about one-quarter of firearm-related deaths were homicides, according to FBIand CDC data. Using total firearm-related deaths makes the case against guns more dramatic than just using homicides alone.  

It relates to ALL gunfire deaths.. So I would say that covers all including gang related..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#51    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,534 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 08 February 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

Not always illegally, as they can buy their guns from private citizens legally, gang member or not. If they were background checked my bet is that they would not get a gun... legally.
So if the private citizen had bought the gun legally, then do they not have to declare that the gun has now been sold on and to who? Like we do with cars?
I do not know how it works there, but imagine that if the law held them responsible  for not declaring their gun has been sold and the criminal shoots someone and gets caught with it, then this would make them think twice to who they are selling it to.
I do not see it very "legal" for someone buying a gun and then knowingly selling it on to a gang member or ciminal, knowing that they would not be able to buy one themselves. They should ask to see their license first.
Maybe the law needs to address these legally bought guns being sold on without being registered to the new owner. BUT there may be a law already in place...which means it can`t be legal to do?

Edited by freetoroam, 09 February 2013 - 01:41 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#52    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 08 February 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

That still does not mean that we just sit idle around and do nothing to prevent the crime.

Who's doing nothing?  We spend billions and billions on law enforcement and the justice system.  We have hundreds of thousands of pages of laws on the books.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#53    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 08 February 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

I can tell you this much, if it is more than 5% of those 80 million I would be very surprised. Because if all those people practiced we would have many less gun accidents.

Deaths from gun accidents in the United States barely make a blip on the radar and the rates have been dropping for decades even though ownership has increased significantly.  Frankly, gun owners are some of the safest and most responsible folks around.

In 2007 there were 613 fatal firearms accidents or about .5% of total fatal accidents making it 16th on the list right behind accidental deaths from machinery and slightly ahead of bicycle accidents.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

#54    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

View Postchopmo, on 08 February 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

You're thinking of the 1960s.  There were some incidents such as the Watts Riots and such, but there has never been a "race war" in the United States.

#55    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

View Postchopmo, on 09 February 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Enough of a war to use the CIA/FBI Drug War Tatics on their own civillians that were connected to this in some part. That is also from what I have seen in media as I do not live in the country so you are probally correct by stating that since you seen it first hand.

You guys really have some strange ideas about the United States.

#56    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,534 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostRafterman, on 09 February 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Who's doing nothing?  We spend billions and billions on law enforcement and the justice system.  We have hundreds of thousands of pages of laws on the books.
You mean you spend billions and billions on weapons?
As for the hundreds and hundreds of pages, seems Obama wants to add even more, why is that?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#57    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:10 AM

View PostRafterman, on 09 February 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

You guys really have some strange ideas about the United States.

HAHA, blame your media and the attitudes of most the circulate the internet :P
don't get p***y about that, Australians have to live with the fact of being the Earth's drunken country, to the point when they train overseas call centres to call the country they are informed to not call after 6.30pm as 90% of Australia will be drunk at that point and sales would not be able to be completed officially and swiftly.
And tbh don't get me started on the retarded things Americans think about Australia.
Kangaroos are not transportation and Koalas aren't pets. So quiet on down there sonny.

#58    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostRafterman, on 09 February 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

You're thinking of the 1960s.  There were some incidents such as the Watts Riots and such, but there has never been a "race war" in the United States.

What you want to call it and what the rest of the world see's are two different things.

How could you claim that when most of the American Drug wars (could nearly be classed as a world drug war so I'll let it slide a little bit) are based from their Heritage, Mexican v African Americans v Anglo  v Asia v Everyone else that tries to become a big boy in importation (media and news highlights Mexican v Black in LA + the other information that is told). Sugar coating can do many things, but declassifying acts of humans it is alot harder.

But anyways you seem to be getting a bit of too much homeland pride about this topic so I'll be leaving the topic after this post.

Edited by chopmo, 11 February 2013 - 01:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users