Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wolf family killed after attacks on livestock

Still Waters

The bullet he'd been dodging for many years finally caught up with the great Oregon wolf, OR4, on March 31. In the early afternoon, officials from the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife shot to death the patriarch of the Imnaha Pack from a helicopter over Wallowa County, an area where gray wolves dispersing from Idaho first began returning to Oregon, where they'd been killed off in the mid-20th century. Shot along with OR4 was his likely pregnant partner, OR 39, known as Limpy for an injured and badly healed leg, and their two pups.

The animals were killed for being presumed guilty of the deaths of four calves and a sheep on private pastureland on the fringes of the pack's territory in northeast Oregon.

https://www.yahoo.co...-181546732.html

• Like 1

Ohh heaven forbid a predator kill prey.

• Like 6

if it wasn't for greed we might let these wolves kill a few of the weaker animals on our farms and ranches.

currently our animals may not run from wolves, because they expect us to protect them.

one more thing when i read the title i thoguht they meant the whole something along 20 wolves.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 1

No one says anything about humans killing deer they blow it off by saying deer would over populate if we as humans didnt keep them thinned out .

Deer eat vegetation because thats what their diet is thats how our creator made them. Wolves are killed by humans for being wolves killing to feed themselves as well as their young

they are only doing what they suppose to do . I hate hearing about unnecessary killing of animals no matter what breed or species they are . Stories like this p*** me off God made animals and they can thin each other out .

No one says anything about humans killing deer they blow it off by saying deer would over populate if we as humans didnt keep them thinned out .

The vast majority of deer hunters use the deer meat to feed their families and others. Since they do populate very quickly, it's not really a bad thing.

I'm torn on the wolves. They are just living the way they know how to. Why is that a problem?

However, if their population gets to a point where they start feeding off of peoples livestock or pets, I supposed something needs to be done.

I hope that executors will be haunted by the evil spirits of that brutally murdered family.

• Like 1

I hope that executors will be haunted by the evil spirits of that brutally murdered family.

Do you feel the same about those who kill mice?

Just curious.

I wonder what it would be like to be haunted by mice.

Maybe similar to the Steven King story 1922.

http://stephenking.wikia.com/wiki/1922_(story)

The vast majority of deer hunters use the deer meat to feed their families and others. Since they do populate very quickly, it's not really a bad thing.

I'm torn on the wolves. They are just living the way they know how to. Why is that a problem?

However, if their population gets to a point where they start feeding off of peoples livestock or pets, I supposed something needs to be done.

they overpopulate because we humans are killing their preditors off. wolves and cougers.

• Like 2

Do you feel the same about those who kill mice?

Just curious.

I wonder what it would be like to be haunted by mice.

Maybe similar to the Steven King story 1922.

http://stephenking.w...iki/1922_(story)

all lives matter. I try not to kill anything. unless they bite me. I haven't been bitten by mosquitoes for 30 years.

all lives matter. I try not to kill anything. unless they bite me. I haven't been bitten by mosquitoes for 30 years.

What's your secret? I can't step foot out the door in the summer months without getting bit.

What's your secret? I can't step foot out the door in the summer months without getting bit.

Living in the Antarctic, perhaps?

I heard it is fairly mosquitoe-free there.

I live in texas. I think it is because my blood is hard to get to.

• Like 2

LOL. :)

Seriously though, I live in central British Columbia and haven't been bit in a couple years. In the summer I leave a window open for the cat.

Deer eat vegetation because thats what their diet is thats how our creator made them. Wolves are killed by humans for being wolves killing to feed themselves as well as their young

they are only doing what they suppose to do . I hate hearing about unnecessary killing of animals no matter what breed or species they are . Stories like this p*** me off God made animals and they can thin each other out .

Good thing we invented him then. Our feral cats tend to thin out other species too, not so much themselves though.
  • Like 2

LOL. :)

Seriously though, I live in central British Columbia and haven't been bit in a couple years. In the summer I leave a window open for the cat.

Has it been dry there? I had thought I heard that there is a month or so in most of Canada where the bugs are crazy active.

• Like 1

Ohh heaven forbid a predator kill prey.

Who's really to blame? The wolves for killing man's sheep, or man for killing the wolves orignal prey?

• Like 1

Who's really to blame? The wolves for killing man's sheep, or man for killing the wolves orignal prey?

do what their doing in Africa use guard dogs. probable 3 or 4.

do what their doing in Africa use guard dogs. probable 3 or 4.

Or, establish a local population of deer, that way the wolves can have their prey, and people can keep their sheep.

Or, establish a local population of deer, that way the wolves can have their prey, and people can keep their sheep.

Currently there are plenty of deer and elk to go around in Oregon. This particular wolf was getting old and turned to livestock for easier prey. I'm a bit torn on this matter, I can understand people need to protect their livestock as that is their livelihood however killing wolves just for doing what wolves do doesn't sit well with me. If livestock become preferred prey for a predator then obviously something needs to be done and nothing less than drastic measures has ever been shown to work.

• Like 1

I don't know that there is one to blame. I know most people say the man because humans have ruled and killed off animals for a long time.

I argue that man has a right to protect his livestock. Especially if wolves were not in the area when he moved there.

Ranchers get paid for any cattle ( livestock ) killed. Paid the going price per head......In every State, In Oregon, Diechecker pointed out ( and I paid it there also ) taxes are paid just for this purpose. They have nothing to b**** about.

Currently there are plenty of deer and elk to go around in Oregon. This particular wolf was getting old and turned to livestock for easier prey. I'm a bit torn on this matter, I can understand people need to protect their livestock as that is their livelihood however killing wolves just for doing what wolves do doesn't sit well with me. If livestock become preferred prey for a predator then obviously something needs to be done and nothing less than drastic measures has ever been shown to work.

( Bold ) is false. http://www.defendersblog.org/2014/06/simple-solutions-protect-wolves-livestock/

http://www.defenders.org/gray-wolf/helping-ranchers-coexist-wolves

https://www.defenders.org/publications/livestock_and_wolves.pdf

Also, killing Wolves can make it worse, not better : http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/12/141203-wolves-hunting-livestock-ranchers-endangered-species-environment/

And, a link to learn more on the Oregon Wolves : https://www.facebook.com/OregonsWolves/

• Like 2

I don't know that there is one to blame. I know most people say the man because humans have ruled and killed off animals for a long time.

I argue that man has a right to protect his livestock. Especially if wolves were not in the area when he moved there.

Can you blame the wolves? Man placed a bunch of easy prey in a convenient place. That would be like placing a bunch of cheeseburgers on a table and telling people not to eat them. Someone's going to take one, no matter what.

Has it been dry there? I had thought I heard that there is a month or so in most of Canada where the bugs are crazy active.

Much drier than normal with less winter snow pack. My lawn is green in the first week of April for the first time ever.

• Like 1

Here in Alberta they are mowing down wolves from helicopters to keep the numbers down. Predators like bear, wolves and cougars have been absolutely decimating the deer and elk populations. Predators are not being hunted by other wildlife (or people for that matter,) so they just keep killing and breeding, unaware of the consequences of over-hunting their prey.

There is a lot to say on this topic as the general public is largely misinformed. Unfortunately, the time for "letting nature take its course" is long gone. Humans have massively upset the natural order and now wildlife management departments are steering the ship. Population numbers of all big game are logged and hunting tags are issued based on the numbers. For example, here a tag to hunt one deer is $40. A tag to hunt a black bear is only $20. Why? Because they are encouraging hunters to cull black bears before they ruin elk and moose populations.

Wolves are especially tough to manage as its hard to get an accurate count and they are very, very smart. They will kill large game for fun (yes, for fun,) and cam become a real problem if their numbers arent managed. Trust our wildlife management groups: they really do know what their doing.

• Like 1