Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Noteworthy Headscratchers

VC-10

Hello everyone,

I was looking at the videos of the Smith Building Ghost in Corpus Christi made in the 1990s. I just discovered them last night on Youtube, and was pretty impressed. I've never heard of this haunting before. I was curious and wanted to ask everyone if they know of any videotaped hauntings that are known and can be viewed that fit the category of "can't be explained or easily dismissed".

I did a search via Bing for this story as it's a haunting I'd never heard of. The third search result is a link to a thread on this very forum started back in '06 which discusses the video as a hoax. So I'm not entirely confident that your example fits under that category.

I did a search via Bing for this story as it's a haunting I'd never heard of. The third search result is a link to a thread on this very forum started back in '06 which discusses the video as a hoax. So I'm not entirely confident that your example fits under that category.

Yes I saw that thread. Watching the video I simply had a gut feeling that the videographer wasn't faking his reaction to what he was seeing. His emotions and movements were certainly driven by adrenaline. It simply doesn't seem fake.

Here is the full video, it does have foul language.

I will come back and post my view on this fake video.

• Like 1

Poor quality, make it hard to judge the authenticity.

Thanks either way,

..There is - -Nothing in the video.. :unsure::huh:

I can run around screaming like a little girl, there is literally NOTHING in this video.. That scream and the movement were not based on adrenaline - there is a distinct tone to the voice - including the laughter - that make it obvious it was staged, especially with the reaction to the other kid being hurt. I'm sorry, this video is - crap.

I await Mr. Topp's breakdown as I already agree that the video is fake.

When I watch these videos, I always try to always Question and Query what I am seeing and hearing and not get sucked into the video. From my research I found out the following information.

1. The full video that was recorded on a tape camcorder and was released to be watched in VHS. It explains the poor quality of video that has been posted online.

2. Even though they claim to be construction team, They lack real equipment I.E. Tarp/Cloth so paint won't go on the floor so i don't think they are construction crew or just painters.

3. The date of events didn't happen in 2005, It was uploaded in 2005 on to the internet.

From the Story:

Theres too many various stories. one is construction workers claim to have witness odd events happening during the day and they came back at night. Others say they are painters and one says they are surveyors. All stories say they saw or odd things happen but nothing about the team seeing a ghost girl.

From the video.

You will believe there is only two people in the building. The cameraman and the guy in the black shirt hiding near the exit calledTom.

-near the end of the video you will see there is acutally 3 people outside the building.

The cameraman walks around the empty place, commenting on hearing noise and also how cold it is.

-Now from the story that they gave us, it was that the work crew that had complained about weird events that happen while they are working. Not once did they mention that they had seen a child, yet the Camera man says "She's here. dog."

The cameraman then walked around various rooms. He sticks his camera in some rooms. You then hear a click of a door closing with the Cameraman commenting about hearing the door closing

-I noticed that the cameraman doesn't walk in the rooms entirely or reopen the closed door to look in to see who closed it.

The camera man then walked around in a small location and you hear heavier foot steps and then see the lights go on and off.

-Tom is still in the corner, he could be close to light switches or maybe another person also who works there knows which lights turn off what.

The camera again noticed a door that has been closed.

-That could of easily explained about the doors being close with a living being (like Tom) walking up and shutting the door.

The cameraman walks around through a room to the opposite side of the passage way.

-This means that any person can simply vanish after they had closed the door or throwing objects as the cameraman spends a lot of time looking at the opposite direction.

Cameraman finds a peice of wood on the floor and throws it. He walks down the hallway and you still see daylight outside.

He says something inaudiable in a room, I believe it is some about blood or a print.

The light get turned off again and he spins around until he sees the ghost child facing the wall (i will give my diagnostic of the ghost girl later). He then swears and then runs.

-Why run? I understand fear but why? My honest instinct is to talk to her as if she is a lost child not run back to Tom. He did this three TIMES!

He runs to Tom and tries to convice Tom to come see the girl. The camera cuts to where he is still trying to get his friend Tom to check her out. The cameraman then starts talking about his ladder and objects he used for his work.

-I honestly have the impression they are trying to legtimatize their reason to being there. If you saw the ghost why would i talk about my equipment.

The cameraman keeps trying to get Tom to come. When the Cameraman shouts about hearing voices or noises. You hear loud foot steps as He looks down the stairs but the camera man does not make a comment about it.

-you hear foot steps when the camera man has stopped and looking down the stairs.

He enters the room, sees the girl and the cameraman freaks when you hear running. The cameraman bolts and makes a loud noise. You see tom and himself at the entrance. Tom has the holy cross and the cameraman and decide to head back into inside. They pass a light switch and one point and the lights go on and off.

-So you walking past a light switch and suddenly it gets turned off and on? Interesting.

So now the cameraman wants to get the ghost ONE more time because he feels his evidence is not real enough. So when he gets back, ALL THE DOORS ARE WIDE OPEN!

-After they ran to the front they had turned the camera off, so what is stopping them from going back and open doors and shut the lights off and going back down and resume recording?

Goes back up, He enters room, Sees the child again and rans off. There is acutally a PART two of this video,

-OMG NO WAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYgeuu4KzWs

In this portion, the cameraman again heads back to TALK to the ghost. He walks in and stares, it's dark but the girl in a different spot. and he then flees again.He had backs yet again he pauses as he hears breaking noises or some thing being stepped on or thrown.

He turns the light on and walks into the room. Either the video skips or he turns the camera back on where he is in the room with the child. The child isn't there any more. He walks around kicking the doors open, The Squeeking is from the VHS quality.

He wonders off and Door shuts behind him, he runs.

You hear the bird chirping again.

-You find the chirping is a sound byte on his cell when he gets texts.

He runs about more then opens more door, making more noises and adding more to the drama. It cuts where he is outside then cuts to inside to see all the damage she had done.

-So since they cut the video, They could easily go back up stairs mess things up and started recording again.

My View:

Honestly, the one thing going through my mind while I watched this video is that this is a knock off of "The Blairwitch project", which was very popular movie that was released in 1999 (very close to the time of this movie was made). The reason every thing is replicated from the creepy empty building, a clumsy amature video recording with poor quality, both of the characters acting scared, seeing a ghost on for a few seconds before fleeing. This is easily can be done even at an amateur level. The rooms are all pretty connected to both sides of the wall ways so it be easy for any one to walk around and mess about with the doors and the lights.

People on youtube claim there are EVPs but I found that evps are tainted because the building is next to the main road and also there are airvents that linked directly outside that you can hear noises from and also the quality of the video is so poor that any sound recording would be tainted since it went from a tape from the camcorder, to VHS to being uploaded online.

The Ghost child

smithpic7sk.jpg

The ghost child is acutally a doll that was popular during the late 1990's called "Doll that faces the wall" or Child facing the corner.

$%28KGrHqMOKiEE3ykefpeNBOB4F7WiD!~~_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-dolls-facing-wall-TIME-OUT-9262-pattern-Boy-girl-/160614667395

which looks VERY simular to blair witches ending blair+witch+corner.jpg

So yes it is fake, It just gives a cheap thrill.

• Like 1

And this is why I waited on Mr. Topp.

Concurred on all points. :tsu:

Brian thanks for taking the time to write all that up. Sooooooo much better when a sceptic actually explains things and give reason why they believe something to be fake rather than just announce that something is fake.

But would still appreciate some more vids and stories of other haunting people can't explain! Was looking forward to them.

But would still appreciate some more vids and stories of other haunting people can't explain! Was looking forward to them.

As an skeptic here is the concept of “unexplained“.

1. Stories.

When some one tells us paranormal story about events that had happen, quite a few veterans (skeptics and even believes) get very cautious. The issue with stories is that we only have the information that the poster is telling us and it could be missing important information, or they are embellishing it more or that the person had even made up.

We can normally pick out the frauds or people with an over active imagination by the story or the time of year that the person joined or created the thread (right now in the US it's school holidays) and by the current fad that is going on (I.E few years back Twilight Hit the movie theater, we had people claiming they saw werewolves or claim to be a werewolf or they had killed a werewolf or had cured a werewolf). Do not get me wrong, Some people don’t know about Sleep Paralysis (we get a few people telling us stories when they were laying down, was a sleep etc) and just need a little education. There has not one topic where every one had said “Creepy, That is unexplained”.

2. Videos,

As you saw my report in an earlier post, Where I did a break down with my thoughts on the entire video and used a bit of research. It is all based on the perception of the video and it’s viewers. To your eyes it seems legit but to others it can be explained.

People forgot that things are happening OUT side the camcorders line of sight. People can manipulate the video just like the one you had posted by having more people doing things off screen, video editing or some cases really poor quality.

Again a lot of things can be questioned, Why were they recording, Why did they turn the camcorder off and for how long? Why are they only showing a portion of the video and not the entire thing that happened? There has not been one topic where every one had said “Creepy, That is unexplained”.

3. The media.

I blame the media on this because I heard them use these words all the time. ”Experts are baffled”, “Experts can not explain this event”. Most cases the media are just saying it to add that extra ire effect to brighten human interest. I know for a fact that channel 12 in Arizona did a piece on a ghost sighting a few years back and when I had called them and had asked who were the researchers and experts that examined the evidence, they refused to say which college or who examined it. When I asked what type of experts were they, movie editing, special effects etc. They again politely refuse to tell me.