Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Sinkhole Swallows Highway!

Eldorado

"A giant sinkhole devoured several acres of land and part of a state highway which had to be closed.

The hole, estimated by the local fire chief to be the size of four football fields, swallowed up part of State Route 516 in Dover. The road will have to be closed for months while engineers determine the best way to make permanent repairs.

"I've worked for ODOT sixteen years and I've never seen anything of this magnitude," said Ohio Department of Transportation District 11 Director Lloyd McAdam."

Full story & video at source:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/271303/3/Tuscarawas-County-Road-closed-due-to-huge-sinkhole-

Those things are scary.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2

Totally creepy, I feel sorry for the owners of the house right at the edge of this. At least this one has a known cause though - asphalt dredging on the land, it's the ones that just happen at random with no known cause that really freak me out.

• Like 2

Oh Eldorado, when I saw the name Dover i thought it was the tunnel or one had been built by the non passport tourists!

My family are in France and a few years back a big hole just appeared in a field, well you can imagine the rumours going round from the nearby villagers, aliens had landed, the devil was coming out of the ground, the government were planning to bury the village so they could build a massive supermarket, it turned out to be part of a tunnel the resistance had made during the war.

• Like 1

This is crazy, glad no one was hurt. I wonder if the asphalt company will have to cover any of the damages.

Before I read the article I was thinking it may of been because of a aquifer being low because sinkholes have been happening because of that.

• Like 1

I havent heard a topic like this since that description of my pal nick's evil sister!! Lol

This is going on all over rockaway,because of H Sandy . Wait. Houses will sink