Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where would we be know

LucidElement

hey guys, i was reading up on a post i made, anyways i read something marduk came up with, i thought itd be a good idea to spread it into a topic!!!

"Where would the world be today, if the catholics didn't burn down the library at alexandria"?

all the questions of the unexplained mainly would be awnsered, what do you all think of this???

Wasnt the library burnt before the time of the catholics?

I thought Julius Caesar's forces were the main suspects when they burned the Egyptian fleet in the harbour and it spread to the city?

A good read here about what may or may not have happened to the library: http://www.bede.org.uk/library.htm

What would have happened had it not been burned down? It'd have still been destroyed some time later by earthquakes and still lay at the bottom of the Mediterranean...... Or else burnt down or destroyed by someone else.

Even in the 17th century we were still burning any books that didn't match preconceived dogma. It's only since the 19th century that we've really started to value anciente tomes. I doubt the library would have survived to the present day.

It's hard to say, really; since we don't know exactly what the contents were. It's evident that a great deal of collected knowledge was lost. Some we've recovered and some is gone forever..

I doubt it's survival would have prevented the Dark Ages from happening, as that was something that would inevitably happen when the Roman empire fell..

..But..

You could concievably say that when the Rennaissance began, having all that knowledge still availible might put us a hundred years or so ahead of where we are now..

Also, archeologists' would have a much easier job.. tongue.gif

Nobody actually set the library on fire, neither the christians, nor the muslims. There were at least seven fires in the course of history, which damaged the library, till the point it wasn't rebuilt any more.

• Like 1

Nobody actually set the library on fire, neither the christians, nor the muslims. There were at least seven fires in the course of history, which damaged the library, till the point it wasn't rebuilt any more.

684109[/snapback]

revisionist history at work

w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

sad day at U.M.

Why was/is book burning so popular? Is ignorance really such great bliss?

If the library at Alexandria would NEVER burn down, at anytime, we would know that Atlantis was a tale, there are no dragons, man never coexisted with dinosaurs, alien beings pretended to be angels, war is wrong and never solves a problem, there WAS a great flood but Noah was the only literate survivor. And of course we would know what the hell the Antikythera device does.

Of course this is all subjective.

Of course, Central America would still be uninhabitable after Cortez nuked the Aztecs and Mayans in 1520......

But the British Penal Colonies established on Mars in the 1780's would still be going, whilst Australia remained uninhabited - and no-one would ever have heard of tinnies, barbies and Aussie soaps, or admired Kylie's bum.....

• Like 1

- and no-one would ever have heard of tinnies, barbies and Aussie soaps, or admired Kylie's bum.....

684321[/snapback]

Damn those that burned the Library! Damn them!!

w00t.gifgrin2.giftongue.gifdevil.gifinnocent.gif

Of course, Central America would still be uninhabitable after Cortez nuked the Aztecs and Mayans in 1520......

But the British Penal Colonies established on Mars in the 1780's would still be going, whilst Australia remained uninhabited - and no-one would ever have heard of tinnies, barbies and Aussie soaps, or admired Kylie's bum.....

684321[/snapback]

Thats cos she'd be english and called "tracy"

personally i can do without Aussie soaps tinnies and barbies as long as we still got Tesco brand Vodka, pigs on spits and cable tv w00t.gifthumbsup.gif

The reason book burning was so important was because the books that were burned were facts and evidence written about anicent mysteries and civilizations, so as if we had these books lots of our questions would be awnsered today.

Hilter and his book burning campaign also played a huge role in destroying a lot of humanity's knowledge. Some of what his SS burned were one-of-a-kind books never to see the light of day again.

Hilter and his book burning campaign also played a huge role in destroying a lot of humanity's knowledge.  Some of what his SS burned were one-of-a-kind books never to see the light of day again.

687008[/snapback]

yeah

but he didnt get indy's notebook did he huh

w00t.gif

ha. ha. ha. wink2.gif

I'm serious.  Alotta knowledge was burnt.

687019[/snapback]

The reasons the catholic church gave at the time were always good ones

apparently as all the books burnt were heretical thats kinda like saying that if they weren't burned they would contradict the validity of christ

i concur

Seems like a logical and reasonable explanation. So if this IS the reason for the buring of the library, then Christianity is really a satanist religion. Hell and fire are related. Knowledge is power, so if people were privy to ancient knowledge saying that monotheism isn't true, where would we be today? Would we be a polythesim culture? Are we anyway?

Edited by Atlantis Rises

Seems like a logical and reasonable explanation.  So if this IS the reason for the buring of the library, then Christianity is really a satanist religion.  Hell and fire are related.  Knowledge is power, so if people were privy to ancient knowledge saying that monotheism isn't true, where would we be today? Would we be a polythesim culture? Are we anyway?

687074[/snapback]

I kinda think that the knowledge we lost would have steered us away from religion altogether

after all if you know the gods were actually men it kinda takes the shine off them

I think the gods were just explanations for what people did not understand, so they formulated names for these objects or ideas and worshipped them, and they stuck. Once knowledge broke that these gods were nothing more than fantasy because these gods didn't grant worship with tangiable proof of their existence, new religions were started by other people needing something else to believe in. But all religions are pretty much worshipped on blind faith. People want to have something to believe in or they'll go crazy. Religion is a shield for our craziness. If rules were not written down to contain our insanity, then this world really would be Hell (on earth!)

hidden knowledge culd still be hidden sumwhere......

687567[/snapback]

Thats why its called "hidden" then

thanks for clarifying R M

w00t.gif

• 2 years later...

Not all the mysteries of the world have been discovered, of this I am sure.

There are so many things still to be uncovered that could well shake the foundations of what we believe to be true

Wasnt the library burnt before the time of the catholics?

Partially, there were several fires in the library, probably caused by accident. The first known act of vandalism was by Caesar's legions during the occupation of Alexandria, who used part of the scrolls to light a fire. The next vandals were Christians (could have been Catholics or not) who destroyed all books that went against what they thought to be the "real" truth. After the conquest of Alexandria by the Muslims the rest of the library was burned because the "world needs just one book".

In Caesar's time the loss due to vandalism was made up to 99% by copies of the library of Pergamon and Byblos. Some new work of fiction and poetry and a new treaty on mathematics, that had not yet been copied, could not be recovered. Caesar packed over 90.000 tomes, some original, some copies into several ships and had them send to Rome long before either Christians or Muslims could destroy them. They were part of the Roman public library, finished long after Caesar's death.

So far the facts, now to the legends. There were hardly any losses due to any act of vandalism after Caesar. The public Roman tomes and the copies in Byblos and Pergamon survived the dark ages and were copiously multiplied by Christian monks.

The full catalog of whatever the Great Library contained in Caesar's time has also survived.

But for any Conspiracy Theorist, the Great Library is a great find, after all, how many people read Latin or ancient Greek and how many people know Roman and Greek literature? If I claim that Alexandria contained the construction plans for a flying saucer, who is to prove that I am wrong except for a very small circle of scholars, who evidently could not care less about any claims made about the Great Library?