Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Famous painters and their paintings

Bozena

As I like painters, especially those they painted the nature, I am starting new Topic.

The first is my favourite painter, CLAUDE MONET, French painter.

CLAUDE MONET:

250o9ap.jpg

Claude Monet was born November 14th, 1840 in Paris, France. He died December 5th, 1926, in Giverny.

French painter who was the initiator, leader, and unswerving advocate of the Impressionist style. In his mature works, Monet developed his method of producing repeated studies of the same motif in series, changing canvases with the light or as his interest shifted.

One of his best paintings:

Jeanne-Marguerite Lecadre in the Garden

16hut6q.jpg

(from 1867)

Bozena

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bozena

• archernyc

• questionmark

• Slorri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The second ist Mexican painter, Frida Kahlo. Although her paintings are more self-portraits, I like her. She was very beautiful, but unhappy.

FRIDA KAHLO:

2uol8wx.jpg

Frida Kahlo, born Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo y Calderon was born July 6th, 1907 in Coyoacan, Mexico and died July 13th, 1954 in Coyoacan.

During her short lived life, she had many accomplishments. She was a surrealist artist who expressed her feelings and thoughts through her paintings. To the public she was a high spirited rebellious woman. Her paintings were full of personal content. They expressed her internal feelings. Her creative style was always breathtaking yet bewildering. Frida was probably the most idolized woman artist of her time and "today, she is a figure of legendary power whose work inspires excitement and awe throughout the world."Frida Kahlo was married to the famous Mexican muralist Diego Rivera. While married to Rivera, Frida gave up painting. She loved Diego Rivera very much and wanted to seem important to him. Frida knew that his murals were the most significant element in his life. She had begun to realize that she "would always be a second fiddle to Rivera's art."

Painting: My dress hangs there (1933):

a3kxnb.jpg

Bozena

Edited by Bozena

This is my favorite painter, William-Adolphe Bouguereau.

William-Adolphe Bouguereau (November 30, 1825 – August 19, 1905) was a French academic painter. William Bouguereau (French pronunciation: [vijɑ̃ bugøʁo], vill-yam boo-guh-roe) was a traditionalist whose realistic genre paintings and mythological themes were modern interpretations of Classical subjects with a heavy emphasis on the female human body.

Although he created an idealized world, his almost photo-realistic style was popular with rich art patrons. He was very famous in his time but today his subject matter and technique receive relatively little attention compared to the popularity of the Impressionists. (taken from Wikipedia)

385px-William-Adolphe_Bouguereau_%281825-1905%29_-_The_Bohemian_%281890%29.jpg

The Bohemian (1890) - My most favorite peice of art ever

Edited by Detective Funky

This is really a great topic, by the way!

My second favorite artist is Sandro Botticelli.

Alessandro di Mariano di Vanni Filipepi, better known as Sandro Botticelli or Il Botticello "The Little Barrel"; (c. 1445[1] – May 17, 1510) was an Italian painter of the Florentine school during the Early Renaissance (Quattrocento). Less than a hundred years later, this movement, under the patronage of Lorenzo de' Medici, was characterized by Giorgio Vasari as a "golden age", a thought, suitably enough, he expressed at the head of his Vita of Botticelli. His posthumous reputation suffered until the late 19th century; since then his work has been seen to represent the linear grace of Early Renaissance painting. Among his best known works are The Birth of Venus and Primavera. Taken from Wikipedia

Venus_and_Mars.jpg

Mars and Venus (1483)

I could look at this one forever.

This is my favorite painter, William-Adolphe Bouguereau.

385px-William-Adolphe_Bouguereau_%281825-1905%29_-_The_Bohemian_%281890%29.jpg

The Bohemian (1890) - My most favorite peice of art ever

Hi,

Thank you for nice painting.

The girl is beautiful. The painting looks more like a photo from her.

Bozena

My next painter is from France.

PAUL CEZANNE:

14ch98i.jpg

Paul Cezanne (19 January 1839 – 22 October 1906) was a French artist and Post-Impressionist painter whose work laid the foundations of the transition from the 19th century conception of artistic endeavor to a new and radically different world of art in the 20th century. Cezanne can be said to form the bridge between late 19th century Impressionism and the early 20th century's new line of artistic enquiry, Cubism. The line attributed to both Matisse and Picasso that Cézanne "is the father of us all" cannot be easily dismissed. He was born and died in Aix-en-Provence. (Wikipedia)

Painting: Jas de Bouffan, 1876

1zm2k4w.jpg

Paul has lived in the most beautiful province (provence) of France, so he had enough opportunities to make beautiful paintings.

Bozena

Carl Spitzweg

This painting is called "The poor Poet"

Thank you QM,

It is very good name for poets, but also for many painters: most of them were poor and made paintings for later generations.

Bozena

Edited by Bozena

Vincent van Gogh was Dutch painter.

VINCENT VAN GOGH (18 years old):

2bvdle.jpg

Vincent Willem van Gogh (30 March 1853 – 29 July 1890) was a Dutch post-Impressionist painter whose work had a far-reaching influence on 20th century art for its vivid colors and emotional impact. He suffered from anxiety and increasingly frequent bouts of mental illness throughout his life and died, largely unknown, at the age of 37 from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. (Wikipedi)

From Biography: Vincent was very unlucky in love. The only one who loved him was one prostitute. What is worse in his situation, parents from all potential women in his life threw him out from the house. His brother Theo (lived in Paris) was his only help. Theo sent him money for the food, otherwise Vincent could die, starving.

Finally (hopeless) with 37 years, Vincent commited suicide in Auvers-sur-Oise, France.

Painting: Oil of Canvas, 1888

2u7amue.jpg

Bozena

He was born in Florence in the 1470, Michaelangelo for me is the greatest.

post-49356-0-25081500-1290244609_thumb.j

I ain't bad either.

post-49356-0-87477000-1290255880_thumb.j

Edited by Belial

Thank you QM,

It is very good name for poets, but also for many painters: most of them were poor and made paintings for later generations.

Bozena

I love that painting because when I was starting out my career I could very well identify with the gentlemen depicted, sometimes in winter I had to write in bed to in order to save heating costs.

Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech, Marquis of Dalí de Púbol (May 11, 1904 – January 23, 1989), commonly known as Salvador Dalí (Catalan pronunciation: [səɫβəˈðo dəˈɫi]), was a prominent Spanish Catalan surrealist painter born in Figueres.

salvador-dali-christ.jpg

What fascinates me about this painting is that he had the valor to use a point of view never used before making a million theme unique.

PIERRE-AUGUSTE RENOIR (born February 25, 1841, Limoges, Haute-Vienne, France) was a French artist who was a leading painter in the development of the Impressionist style. As a celebrator of beauty, and especially feminine sensuality, it has been said that "Renoir is the final representative of a tradition which runs directly from Rubens to Watteau«.

Around 1892, Renoir developed rheumatoid arthritis. In 1907, he moved to the warmer climate of "Les Collettes," a farm at Cagnes-sur-Mer, close to the Mediterranean coast, where he died December 3, 1919.(Wikipedia).

Here are his two his paintings.

THE GIPSY GIRL (AKA SUMMER),1868:

25kudjl.jpg

THE PAINTER JULES LE COEUR WALKING HIS DOGS IN THE FOREST OF FONTAINBLEAU, 1866:

2d6pjjq.jpg

Renoir was really excellent painter!

Bozena

LEONARDO DA VINCI (April 15, 1452 – May 2, 1519) was an Italian Renaissance architect, musician, inventor, engineer, sculptor and painter. He has been described as the archetype of the "Renaissance man" and as a universal genius. Leonardo is famous for his masterly paintings, such as The Last Supper and Mona Lisa. He is also known for designing many inventions that anticipated modern technology but were rarely constructed in his lifetime. In addition, he helped advance the study of anatomy, astronomy, and civil engineering. (Artinthepicture.com)

Painting: "THE ANNUNCIATION", 1486

1etb93.jpg

This painting looks like a photo.

p.s. As the whole World knows his "Mona Lisa" painting, it is not bad to see his other paintings.

Bozena

Oh yes the 'powerful one'.

He is famous for the sfumato style,(from Italian sfumare, “to tone down” or “to evaporate like smoke”), in painting or drawing, the fine shading that produces soft, imperceptible transitions between colours and tones. It is used most often in connection with the work of Leonardo da Vinci and his followers, who made subtle gradations, without lines or borders, from light to dark areas; the technique was used for a highly illusionistic rendering of facial features and for atmospheric effects.

The below drawing is a pastel work by Rima Jabbur.

post-49356-0-23555000-1290330462_thumb.j

DOMENICO ZAMPIERI (or Domenichino) (October 21, 1581 – April 16, 1641) was an Italian Baroque painter of the Bolognese School, or Carracci School, of painters. Domenichino was born at Bologna, son of a shoemaker, and there initially studied under Denis Calvaert. After quarreling with Calvaert, he left to work in the Accademia degli Incamminati of the Carracci where, because of his small stature, he was nicknamed Domenichino, meaning "little Domenico" in Italian. He left Bologna for Rome in 1602 and became one of the most talented apprentices to emerge from Annibale Carracci's supervision. As a young artist in Rome he lived with his slightly older Bolognese colleagues Albani and Guido Reni, and worked alongside Lanfranco, who later would become a chief rival.(Wikipedia)

Painting: THE REPOSE OF VENUS

308cg9x.jpg

(She has good time)

He had so many beautiful paintings and I didn't hear for him until today.

Bozena

He is famous for the sfumato style,(from Italian sfumare, “to tone down” or “to evaporate like smoke”), in painting or drawing, the fine shading that produces soft, imperceptible transitions between colours and tones. It is used most often in connection with the work of Leonardo da Vinci and his followers, who made subtle gradations, without lines or borders, from light to dark areas; the technique was used for a highly illusionistic rendering of facial features and for atmospheric effects.

The below drawing is a pastel work by Rima Jabbur.

post-49356-0-23555000-1290330462_thumb.j

As you can read here, he was well educated painter. I wouldn't mind to have him as a good friend.

B.

Andrea Mantegna (1431?-1506)

Featuring on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath[/font]

Slorri,

Is the man on the bed dead and the woman is praying?

B.

I love that painting because when I was starting out my career I could very well identify with the gentlemen depicted, sometimes in winter I had to write in bed to in order to save heating costs.

Hi QM,

Now I am curious about your career: what are you doing?

First, you told me a lot about photography and now something about writing!

B.

Slorri,

Is the man on the bed dead and the woman is praying?

B.

Hmm... yes, I think so, he doesn't look at all well.

What is fascinating in this picture is the perspective, one really get a good feeling for the depth.

But maybe he has a bit short feet and the legs are smalling down a bit in the ends; mind you it's not easy to paint in 3D, this was done in 1490.

Here is another one from Andrea.

Also really good perspective, like some people looking down on you from that hole in the roof.

Also here is an error, the lady to the upper right with the long hair; her hair should have been hanging down, not towards her shoulders.

800px-Andrea_Mantegna_064.jpg

Edited by Slorri

Hi QM,

Now I am curious about your career: what are you doing?

First, you told me a lot about photography and now something about writing!

B.

You could check the link at the bottom of my sig, but to make it short, journalist and photographer.

He is famous for the sfumato style,(from Italian sfumare, "to tone down" or "to evaporate like smoke"), in painting or drawing,

That same style is still used in photography, only it is called soft focus.