Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Mary' told to wear helmet for nativity play

Still Waters

A children's nativity play has been hit by health and safety rules after a girl playing Mary has been told she will have to wear a helmet to ride on a donkey.

http://www.telegraph...fety-rules.html

• Like 1

Reading the story, the girl will be riding the donkey outside, through the town as part of a 'nativity parade'. While there is a fair bit of "health-and safety jobsworthing" around, I'm actually in support of the ruling on this occasion.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 3

She should wear a helmet, she would wear one if she was on a bike or horse. Some idiot in the crowd could throw a fire cracker and the donkey might run off with the girl on it.

Reading the story, the girl will be rising the donkey outside, through the town. While there is a fair bit of "health-and safety jobsworthing" around, I'm actually in support of the ruling on this occasion.

We are post buddies now. We both posted on the same thread at the same time. Being Post Buddies will be awesome! Where shall we go on holiday together?

• Like 2

We are post buddies now. We both posted on the same thread at the same time. Being Post Buddies will be awesome! Where shall we go on holiday together?

:lol:

I've never heard of "post buddies" before. As for a holiday destination - somewhere warm, with white sand, hot ladies and cold drinks!

• Like 1

:lol:

I've never heard of "post buddies" before. As for a holiday destination - somewhere warm, with white sand, hot ladies and cold drinks!

Oh boy...that sounds pretty good to me as well (but with hot guys). Can I be a post buddy too? I'm already tired of shoveling my walkway (I hate winter).

• Like 2

It makes sense - they can disguise it with a shawl but the girl could get thrown, donkeys are not the most predictable of creatures.

It makes sense - they can disguise it with a shawl but the girl could get thrown, donkeys are not the most predictable of creatures.

Agreed, Mary would be depicted with her head covered anyway, just put the helmet under the shawl.

or.

stick with me here

they make an updated reboot of the nativity story and instead of the donkey, its a muscle car and they're on the run from mutants who want to kill the new human messiah who is immune to the mutant's disease

Helmet problem= solved

• Like 3

Most people seem to be in agreement. She's riding an animal outside, she should wear a helmet. When did this type of thing become international news worthy? Oh, right. The internet...

If I was her I would be wearing a bright orange safety vest as well. lol

If I was her I would be wearing a bright orange safety vest as well. lol

...gloves, steel-toed boots, face shield, shin guards, knee pads, safety glasses, ear plugs and in a pea-nut free environment.

How did we all survive as children?

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

My son had donkey rides at his birthday party, all the kids wore riding helmets. I don't see any problem with it. If it was my kid I would be insisting they wore a riding helmet, not worth the risk of them falling off and cracking their skull to make it look authentic.

I'm just surprised this make the news.

My son had donkey rides at his birthday party, all the kids wore riding helmets. I don't see any problem with it. If it was my kid I would be insisting they wore a riding helmet, not worth the risk of them falling off and cracking their skull to make it look authentic.

I'm just surprised this make the news.

Because, one day we can envisage when our children are wrapped in armour before they're allowed to go out and play.

When did it become government's sole responsibility to Protect people? Government's' responsibility to protect people should be, reasonably, from outside threats, but why do Governments always insist that people should not be allowed to do things for their own safety? it's nothing to do with you, government, go away.

• Like 1

If Governments really did want seriously to protect people, they'd make the qualifications for being able to drive a car much, much more stringent and much more stringently enforced. They're not interested in protecting people, it's all about Governments (at all levels, from Central Government down to local councils) wanting to be able to enforce laws and regulations over people. That's all these petty "health & Safety" laws ever are.

Addendum: could be a reaction to the litigation culture in recent times. No question, this has had its effect on organisations unable to financially absorb the costs of potential lawssuits.