Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

2013 Already a Drought Disaster

Render

The first month of 2013 is already a disaster for many farmers. Last week, U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack declared 507 counties in 14 states natural disasters due to the ongoing drought.

America’s first official disaster areas of 2013 were designated because the 597 have experienced severe drought conditions for eight consecutive weeks, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor.

Last year, 2,245 counties in 39 states were declared disasters by the USDA. With continued drought projected for much of the United States, farmers may have another hard year ahead of them. A hard year for farmers means a had year for anyone who eats. Global food prices are strongly affected by America’s harvests.

http://news.discovery.com/earth/weather-extreme-events/2013-already-a-drought-disaster-130115.htm

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Render

• Ashotep

• Babe Ruth

Top Posters In This Topic

This is sad news, it hasn't snowed much here this winter and I didn't get that much hay last year. Prices have already went up because of last summers drought and if it does it again as widespread as it was last summer there will be far fewer cattle on the market in the further. People have already sold off a lot of their herds and there will be a future sell off if this continues. Possibly poultry too if its really hot like last summer. There just won't be the food to feed them.

I just have two horses right now and I know someone else that depends on us for hay for his horses and I might have to cut him off. I'm not going to let mine do without. When I bought them I assumed responsibility for their welfare.

REASON FOR EDIT: Can't spell.

Edited by Hilander

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Hilander!

The gods do as they will with the weather. I think it's going to get worse. The Mississippi is right at minimums, ready to close. Texas is dry. Darn shame. :td: