Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

declawing cats

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16    DeWitz

DeWitz

DeWitz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

• "Follow me, it's in Room 101."
    Clyde P. Fesmire, PhD

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:10 AM

Speaking confessionally, I had a cat declawed over thirty years ago because of a landlord's demand. I felt very crappy and guilty about it. Spock was such a kool kitty, but the "procedure" seemed to take some of her spirit away. I've never done it with subsequent cats who have let me share living quarters with them. I agree with others above that it is cruel and unnecessary.

Our current furry beast is fully clawed and has alternatives (scratching posts; old wood in the basement) and she seems a lot better adjusted. . . or maybe I'm just getting mellow in my older age. Maybe I've been tamed. Honey, can I bring you a beer?

[previously incarnate as 'szentgyorgy']

"Things fall apart. . . it's scientific." - Talking Heads

#17    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

For those of you who have declawed as cat.  If the cat is peeing every where but bthe litter box,  you need to get a softer ltter, because it hurts when kitty steps into you current litter.

This is info I am getting from, my cat from hell.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,759 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

We have many cats, and generally let them have one litter before having them altered.  I would never have one declawed -- there are so many better ways to handle this -- including keeping them indoors (we have a rather large compound).

Recently two of our females got pregnant at the same time and when one went into birth I guess this stimulated the other to do the same, and we had two litters within hours of each other.  The mothers (who themselves were sisters) moved their litters into the same pile and raised them jointly.  It was an astonishing thing.

#19    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

I've never had a cat de-clawed.    Seems to me that it would be making it defensless.   Also unable to climb a tree to escape threats.  
I can see situations where maybe I understand and may even support it.    If someone wanted to rescue a cat but their landlord required it to be de-clawed.   I think de-clawing may be better than death for the cat.  
I had an uncle that died and left his cat.   No one wanted it and they were going to just have it put down (4 years old).   A sister of his took it, but only if she could have it de-clawed because she was elderly and would not risk all her antique furniture.

#20    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,109 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

I have two indoor cats. One cat lost a toe on his right back foot because he stepped on some rock litter that wedged itself into his toe between the "knuckle bit." He was walking around fine it wasn't until he's bath when the rock fell out that we noticed he was hurt. (he is a cat that only cries for food. I stepped on his tail once accidentally and not a peep came from him. As soon as a can of cat food comes out he is screaming his head off) We took him to the vet she removed the toe and some bone because it was damaged and infected. He was fine a few days later. The only thing I have noticed is when he climbs or balances on bed heads or the couch he looks at his foot like something is wrong or missing. So no I would never declaw because with just one gone my cst is affected.

We have scratching posts and take our cats out for walks on the leash. When outside they can climb the stump in our backyard. They walk over grass, concrete and tan bark (medium wood chips usually at kids playgrounds. could be just an Aussie thing) and there is wood they scratch. But sometimes the carpet, furniture or my legs make good claw sharpeners and that's ok.

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#21    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,759 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

It's so easy to get a piece of old carpet, tack it up somewhere, and let them have at it.  They prefer it to wood.  

A water pistol is good to keep around whenever cats get into things they shouldn't.  Doesn't require shouting or anything, just a reach for it does the trick once they learn.

Has anyone any idea why most cats hate a water spray in the face so much?

#22    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,904 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

Well, do you like having water sprayed in your face, Frank?

On topic: Declawing cats is wrong and should fall under cruelty to animals.

Edited by FLOMBIE, 16 June 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#23    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,073 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Just the thought of de-clawing my cats turns my stomach, I can forgive them scratching up my old couch but I won't forgive myself if I put them through that kind pain.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,759 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:08 PM

My kids spray me all the time.  Cats seem to take it as a personal insult.

#25    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,904 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 16 June 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

My kids spray me all the time.  Cats seem to take it as a personal insult.
Because the cat can't differentiate.

#26    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,759 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yes of course, poor things.  I was just having some fun at their expense.

#27    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,020 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 16 June 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

It's so easy to get a piece of old carpet, tack it up somewhere, and let them have at it.  They prefer it to wood.  

A water pistol is good to keep around whenever cats get into things they shouldn't.  Doesn't require shouting or anything, just a reach for it does the trick once they learn.

Has anyone any idea why most cats hate a water spray in the face so much?
i know i hate water spray in the face so i can see how a cat wouldn't like it either lol
i wish my cat would claw a designated piece of carpet but he favors the expensive carpet on the livingroom floor. mostly he claws to relieve frustration - if i don't pay attention to him or he needs food etc.
i could never de-claw him but i wish there was a way to get him to stop!

#28    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,759 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

A frustrated cat is a cat on one side or the other of a closed door.

#29    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,888 posts

• A belief should be freely chosen or not chosen, not demanded or ordered nor come should it come at the end of a fist or rifle.

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

View Postdanielost, on 13 June 2013 - 01:12 AM, said:

They have plastic caps you can put on their claws.  So there is no last resort.

You're right.
My bad..

#30    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,759 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

I don't get it.  We have cats (and dogs and other things) out the kazoo, and don't have that problem.  An occasional dead bird is the worst, and we generally prevent that by keeping them in.  We provide old carpeting, and they all know what its for and appreciate it.

I don't think you should try to prevent cats from sharpening their claws; there is a biological reason for the behavior having to do with removing part of the claw surface.  Besides, it is not nice to deny cats the right to be cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users