Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Mars discovery "one for the history books"

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#61    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Just a note to minimize the wait. Dr. Grotzinger reports that he will hold a briefing at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco, on Dec. 3.  Earlier reports had this on the 5th. I wonder if they moved it up, due to its perceived importance. Up until today, I hadn't found any  specific date for the press conference, except that it would occur during the AGU meeting, so anywhere between the 3rd and the 7th. As it stands, only 11 days to wait.

#62    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

View Postbrothers, on 22 November 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Maybe they are ittsy bittsy tinny weinny people and we are killing them with out very big robots crushing them even finer.

And that is what I always say: we have NO fkg clue about how an ET should look like.

Yes, many have ideas, but most of their ideas are based on nothing but the movies they watched, or the Whitley Strieber books they read.

But 'aliens' could be the size of bacteria, and we would never know.

Can they 'control' us?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabies

Edited by Abramelin, 22 November 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#63    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Ugh... This will be worse than waiting to open Christmas presents when I was 6!!!  >:-(

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#64    calaf

calaf

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

News teasers like this remind me too much of the Baltic Anomaly.

#65    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

they found oil.

#66    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,590 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

View Postcalaf, on 23 November 2012 - 12:47 AM, said:

News teasers like this remind me too much of the Baltic Anomaly.

Now that was a total fiasco!
Hopefully, something even marginally significant will come out of NASA regarding this so-called "finding"

#67    cgowens

cgowens

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

They found the flux capacitor

#68    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,625 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:01 PM

Actually, bacteria are one of the likelier forms of life that might be found on Mars. And, yes, Curiosity probably could detect them. It  could uncover such life indirectly, by its 'biosignature'. Organic material (containing carbon) can be analyzed. If the carbon is mostly of the lighter isotopes, its likely due to life. Life preferentially uses these lighter isotopes, and we have no better explanation for their predominance in a sample than the presence of life.

#69    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,625 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

Space.com now has a short video presentation by Dr. Grotzinger, explaining a little about the new discovery with Curiosity. He reports that some of the material in the soil sample was not minerals, but something finely granular, which is amorphous appearing   with the x-ray laser. We know that soil on Earth is composed of minerals, organic materials, water, air, and living creatures. Of these, only organic matter and living things seem complex enough to appear amorphous to x-ray diffraction.  link to video: http://www.space.com...mars-video.html

Edited by bison, 24 November 2012 - 01:29 AM.

#70    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,393 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

waits for Waspie to yank all the fun outta the Thread < LoL All fun Waspie ! Al in Fun ! :tsu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#71    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,502 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

View Postbison, on 24 November 2012 - 01:24 AM, said:

We know that soil on Earth is composed of minerals, organic materials, water, air, and living creatures. Of these, only organic matter and living things seem complex enough to appear amorphous to x-ray diffraction.  

OK , now what I got out of it was the x-ray diffraction did not go small enough , missing some 2% , and that the anomalous readings were simpler compounds it could not pick up. So they will not break it down to a gaseous state to analyze further.

So Life is still not thought of at this piont , and wont be done till Dec. 2 nd.

We pray for one last landing/ On the planet that gave us birth/ Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies/ And the cool, green hills of Earth.
Robert A. Heinlein

#72    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Convoi exceptionnel

• 26,035 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

see, they always manage to make everything as dull and uninspiring as possible, doesn't it.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#73    Ghost Ship

Ghost Ship

an invisible dream

• 2,959 posts

• I have no idea where this will lead us. But I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

I wonder if the President of the United States already knows. Or is he waiting as well. He probably knows.

Edited by Twin Peaks, 24 November 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#74    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,590 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

View Post747400, on 24 November 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

see, they always manage to make everything as dull and uninspiring as possible, doesn't it.

I find your comment to be dull and uninspiring.
As such, and as President, you are fired.

Your last paycheck will be delayed pending the fiscal cliff. :w00t:

#75    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Convoi exceptionnel

• 26,035 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

I mean, even if they found overwhelming evidence of something Organic, in other words that they had found some sort of Life, whether animal or plant, you can bet that they'd put it in the most dry scientific terms (e.g. some of the material in the soil sample was not minerals, but something finely granular, which is amorphous appearing with the x-ray laser, a sentence which I can guarantee most people would have to read at least three times to understand what it might mean), that a good 82% of people of people would go "What?". It was the same with the Higgs Bison. For all the talk of "God particle", do anyone outside the Scientific community really have the vaguest idea what it actually means or what it might mean for Humanity?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users