Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Emoticons everywhere?

Belial

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Belial

• Saru

• Slorri

• _Nyx_

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they go away if you refresh (F5) the page? Like I said on the other thread...sometimes stuff gets distorted and spread out all over the place, but it's never been anything permanent. It's gotta be something on this (UMs) end as those are UM's stars and icons.

I have never seen anything like that before, the post rank stars should be nowhere near those areas of the page.

What browser, browser version and operating system are you using ?

Does this occur on every page or only on one or more specific pages ?

Only ever happens on this site for me, and it's very random when and where it displays this type of image, i have had a cloud type icon appear within the emoticon legend on a couple of occasions to?

I use Operas browser (version 10.5) for the windows platform?

Presumably its an issue with Opera and Invision Board 3, have you tried it in any other browsers ?

Yeah, i opened IE but after a few minutes i had the same sort of multiple images appearing? And yes i cleared the cache/cookies etc, it's been going on now for a couple of days?

If it does it in IE as well and its only been happening a couple of days then it sounds like it is something on your end, check to see if you've installed any new software, plugins, changed any settings, drivers or anything else that might be having an effect on internet browsing on your computer.

Unfortunately this sort of thing can be difficult to diagnose remotely because there are so many things it could be.

For the heck of it, try going to safemode.

Reboot the computer, and hit f8 as it's restarting.

Should come up to advanced boot options.

Choose safe mode with networking.

Then try getting online.

If it still happens, try downloading and installing a different browser, not one you already have.

Also try IE with no add ons.

No new software installed for ages, like i have said before this as only started to happen here, on certain pages in a very random manner? I don't feel the need to reboot my computer as it is fine and works normally with everything else i do and where ever else i go?

Thanks anyway.

Ok, now i have someone elses avatar all over my pages, in some threads but NOT ALL?

2mdhssk.jpg

---------------

eks277.jpg

---------------

lkwp5.jpg

---------------

This as not happened on another site i am on at the same time? Or on this site in other threads?

Thank you.

That avatar image isn't even being shown on the same page so there's no way the problem is on this end, somehow your browser or some other software on your computer is producing this fault.

Out of interest what version of IE did you try this on and have you tried it in Firefox ?

Opened a random topic and this was all fine?

dxbces.jpg

Tried firefox to, same result (occasionally)

IE is version 8.

That image is on the same page further up, about three or four before my post i think?

Thanks anyway.

If its in Firefox as well then I'm afraid i've no idea what's causing it for you, sorry I couldn't be of any help.

If I ever run to anything like this again and am able to figure it out i'll let you know.

No problem, don't want to be a problem, but this as happened? Have to live with it i suppose ;)

Thanks for honesty and advice, (great site by the way).

I have to admit this is one of the most bizarre issues i've seen, the avatar that's showing up where it shouldn't doesn't even belong to anyone on the page, for some reason your browser is remembering it from a previous page you've viewed and is displaying it in place of the blog icon.

Very, very strange. Something has gone wrong somewhere on your system but i've no idea what is causing it.

It as not happened again for the last 20 minutes or so? i am using Opera again as it is my favourite browser at the moment. Also i have had no issues at all on other sites i use including all morning today, on three different sites actually, plus msn convos which are real time in action?

Thanks again.

What's happening is that for whatever reason your browser is displaying the wrong images in the wrong places, it's showing someone's avatar instead of a blog icon and its showing the post rank stars as the background for the quick edit box. It could be a problem with your cache, for whatever reason images are being saved and retrieved under the wrong names.

You mentioned earlier you cleared your cache but i'd recommend doing this again. Find a page on which the fault occurs and experiment, refresh the page over and over again to see if it changes. Keep clearing your cache and refreshing the page until the fault appears or disappears - you might be able to gain some clues as to the exact circumstances that cause it to occur.

I have my cache set at zero MB i cleared it anyway (yes i know it's empty - but anything to sort this out) i have also been back to one of the pages in question and refreshed a few times, but like i said it hasn't happened now for ages, only since you came online Saru? now theres a conspiracy in the making :rolleyes:

Seriously, it is ok now? if it does come back then i will have to live with it i suppose.

Thanks anyway.

I have my cache set at zero MB

Do you mean you set it to zero now to try and solve it or it was set to zero before the problem started ?

You mentioned it has stopped now, is that since setting the cache to zero ?

I have my cache set at zero all the time, i deleted the cache tray knowing it was empty anyway, just out of frustration lol. I know what your saying but its been set at empty for a months now.

Thanks again.

Try setting the cache size to 20mb and see if you still experience this problem.

What will that do? done it anyway, lets see what happens?

Thanks.

A browser cache is important as it stores files and images and displays them from your local hard disk instead of having to download them again every time you view anything on the internet. As the problem you are describing seems to be cache related I think this would be the best thing to try next in finding a resolution to it.

I understand all of that, but what i don't get is that it is only happening from this site, i even tried different browsers to see if it was just Opera, but like i have explained it as been happening from other browsers to? Ok the problem as gone away at the moment??? but it does not have anything to do with my cache being set at 0 or 20MB, AS I HAVE STATED IT ONLY HAPPENS HERE no where else? Thats the weird thing about all of this.

Thanks again for all the info and ideas, it's appreciated.

You don't know that it doesn't happen anywhere else, you've only tried it on a small selection of web sites you happen to go to, that doesn't automatically mean that the problem is with us or that it wouldn't occur elsewhere.

If it was a problem on this end then a lot of other people would be reporting the same thing and so far that hasn't happened.