Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The devil tree

Tony The Tiger

Weird New jersey is one my favorite sites and this is a interesing story. I think it could be true but I really don't know.

THIS IS ONE SINISTER LOOKING TREE and according to the locals, who told us of the legend, everyone in the vicinity of Bernards Township seems to have a story about it. We were told that at one time a farmer killed his entire family, then went to the tree to hang himself. According to others, numerous suicides and murders occurred around the tree.

Supposedly anyone who tries to cut down the unholy arbor comes to an untimely end, as it is now cursed. It is said that the souls of those killed at the spot give the tree an unnatural warmth, and even in the dead of winter no snow will fall around it.

-When Weird NJ visited the Devil’s Tree we noticed evidence that many attempts have been made over the years to take it down. The tree stands all alone in the middle of a large field off Mountain Road. Its trunk has been severely scared by axes and chainsaws, some wounds appearing to be quite old. Why no one has yet been successful in felling the evil oak we can not say for sure. Nor do we know what has become of those who have tried.

One Weird NJ reader described the Devil’s Tree to us this way: "There's a big field and right near the road is the tree. It's the only thing in the field. Supposedly it's a portal to hell and a sentinel guards it. He drives an old black Ford or Chevy pick-up truck and will chase you down the road until a certain point. You will see headlights one second, and the next nothing - the car is just gone. My friend has had the old black truck chase him several times down the road, and then it was just gone. We have had it chase us, but we were in a Firebird GTA and were out of there too quick."

Another local told us that the inherent unholiness of the Devil’s Tree is the result of the evil that men do, and nothing supernatural at all.

"There is a very evil truth to the mythology of the Devil’s Tree. At one time, Bernards Township was one of the central headquarters of the KKK in New Jersey – they held many demonstrations in our town and held many meetings throughout the hills. As per KKK policy, often they would 'lynch' local African-Americans to set an example, not only to other African-Americans, but also as an example of their principle and resolve.

The Devil's Tree was more secluded in those times before the developments spread across the mountain like a plague. It sat in a very isolated section of woods and fields, far from the prying eyes of the police. The Devil's Tree was the site of many of the KKK's meetings and hangings. The evil energy around the tree comes from the souls of dead men and women who were killed by this vile organization. If you look at the picture you posted online, the left most branch extends almost parallel to the ground. This was the hanging branch. Pretty freaky and true stuff. To freak ourselves out, sometimes my friends and I would drive down the road at night telling ghost. When the moon is a full red harvest moon, and the wind is blowing just right, it looks like there might be bodies hanging from the branch, slowly swaying in the breeze.”

– Rob Schmidt

www.weirdnj.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crouton

• NiCkC818

• demonic presence

• Broken Episode

Interesting...

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of this "evil" tree, would you? I suppose this tree is still holding on to the memories of all the evil doings that have occured nearby and wants to stay as a reminder to everyone about how horrible people can be.

Interesting...

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of this "evil" tree, would you? I suppose this tree is still holding on to the memories of all the evil doings that have occured nearby and wants to stay as a reminder to everyone about how horrible people can be.

I would really like to see a picture of this "devil tree".

I'm not gonna try to cut that tree down.

hmm...anyone who trys to cut down the tree ends up dieing? That makes me really want to go to NJ, rent a bulldozer, and run that demon twig over.

Edited by Broken Episode

that very interesting.... my guess would be residual negative energy left by, KKK, persons who were hanged, etc. Tree absorbed it and it holding on to it....as for whoever tries to cut it down dying....that really intrigues me... i might travel to go see this tree someday, i want to examine those scars close up, dang it, this is seems really cool to me, now you got me all hyped up on this and ima have to research it more...damn you man...

Or there could be alot of tree huging invisible hippies, that make people get very high with their Mary juana and they end up cutting themselfs and having to be rushed to the hospital so they wouldnt come back to cut it down.....

Thanks for the added link with photo crouton. That is a very interesting story. Would be fun to know if anything has been written on it in the local newspapers to back some of these stories up.

I agree with NiCK, nuke the bugger. :devil: That way you don't have to get close to it so no worries about being chased away by something in a car

Seriously it would work. The tree would dissolve and no more curse. It would work.

I think it's just a tree. It doesn't look particularly evil to me. :hmm:

Thanks for the added link with photo crouton. That is a very interesting story. Would be fun to know if anything has been written on it in the local newspapers to back some of these stories up.

You're welcome! :tu:

You know.. the part of the story that involves the black truck.. I've seen this particular scenario about a black truck chasing a person at least twice.. Once in a movie (Nightmares, which has 4 different stories in the movie.. the particular story involving the truck was about a priest who decided to leave the priesthood and was chased down a desert road by "the devil" in a black pick-up truck).. the other was an episode of Supernatural from the first season where the black truck was chasing anyone who was african american or was involved with african americans (supposedly the ghost of a demonic racist, who came back to exact revenge or something like that).. Funny.. the devil and his minions can supposedly appear out of thin air, but they choose to go the way of technology and be a "Bubba" and chase you with a black truck instead? Interesting.. heh..

And the picture of the tree.. the tree just looks like any other tree to me.. a big old tree..

I need to get my book out. But I've read the story in the book. And it seems very interesting. I want to visit the tree & see what happens to me. Of course I'll bring my friends for protection. XP

Yeah the image of the tree is just a normal tree. It doesn't have to be a mutant type tree to have a weird name.

Edited by MoonPrincess